Next CCW, P99c or P239?

This is a discussion on Next CCW, P99c or P239? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm new to this board/forum. I'm a proud AZ CCW permit holder and member of the NRA. I try to carry whenever possible, when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next CCW, P99c or P239?

Next CCW, P99c or P239?

Hi, I'm new to this board/forum. I'm a proud AZ CCW permit holder and member of the NRA. I try to carry whenever possible, when I'm out and about on the town and so fourth, where the law permits me. I'm a big Glock fan, as you can tell by my username. My main carry pistols are a G26, a G27, a G29, a G30 and a HK P2000 V2 (LEM) 9mm. My main type of conceal carry holster is Kydex IWB type (various brands).

Anyway, I have been toying with the idea of adding another pistol to my conceal carry collection. The two pistols I have been closely looking at are the Walther P99c QA 9mm and the Sig P239 DAK 9mm. The reason I'm looking at the Walther QA and Sig DAK trigger systems, is that I'm not a big fan of DA/SA decocker type weapons (different stokes for different folks). I would like to hear from you all out there that have these pistols and find out what your various likes/dislikes are about them and if you find them as a great carry choice. Thanks
    Last edited by AZGlock13; October 4th, 2006 at 03:22 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Hello, and welcome to the board! I have one each of Sig P229 DA/SA in .40 and Sig P239 DAK with night sights, also in .40. You will like the DAK as it is smooth and silky, for a DA semiauto, as well as being a nicely made sweet-shooting pistol. Find a nice low-round-count used one and put the savings into a quality carry rig and enjoy!

LTPhoon, Thanks for the welcome. I heard great things about the DAK trigger. I have never live fired a Sig with a DAK trigger (used to own a Sig P226 DA/SA 9mm, which I didn't care for), but I have handled/dry-fired a P226 DAK 9mm pistol once at a gun shop. The trigger pull and reset felt good to me. I heard that the DAK trigger pull is 6.5# on both the P226 and the P229, but the P239 DAK has a 7# pull. The extra half pound trigger pull shouldn't make that big of a deal to me. It sounds like your P239 DAK is a pleasure to shoot. I need to get up to a bigger city (with more guns shops and a gun show) to find a P239 with the DAK trigger to try for myself. All the gun shops around me only have P239s with the traditional Sig DA/SA trigger.

I will always choose a Sig over a polymer framed gun. Just my personal preference. And I like both the DAK and the DA/SA triggers.

Lead Moderator
    Never fired DAK, but I've get a SIG 239, and wouldn't trade it for anything!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Forgot to say I know the DA/SA 239s have a better trigger than the other DA/SA Sigs. I don't know if the DAKs are any different.

VIP Member
    I've fired a DAK-triggered SIG and fell in love with it; however I own several Walther P99's, including an AS-triggered P99C and QA-triggered P99 Titanium. The Walthers are outstanding guns. Personally, I would choose the P99C only because I believe it's smaller than the P239 overall despite having a 10-round capacity mag in 9mm (with the ability to reliably fire Walther 15 and 16-round mags).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Weight and shape difference

The Walther P99C with QA trigger is similar in shape to the Glock 26 - a gun that weighs about 20 ounces empty with a 10 round double stack magazine, polymer frame and a fairly thick, chunky appearance. The Sig P239 is a single stack aluminum frame gun weighing about 28 ounces empty with a slimmer profile than the Walther. It sort of depends on which you prefer to conceal and the trigger feel difference.

VIP Member
    My LE agency issues traditional DA/SA P239's in .40 S&W. In my hands, the P239 feels roughly as thick as, if not thicker than, the P99C due to the stocks. The P239 slide also is not svelte by any stretch.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Yep, I think they would both be great carry guns for me. I like the feel of the P239. I haven't found a P99c locally yet to hold and handle. They both look great. I have a feeling I will eventually end up with both someday, looks like the question comes down to which one I will purchase first. I'm starting to lean some towards the P99c, due to it is a tad bit cheaper than the P239. However, if I come across a local state area P239 DAK 9mm first, I might just end up with it first. I think either way I can't lose.
    Last edited by AZGlock13; October 5th, 2006 at 10:37 AM.

Well, I broke down and had a local gun shop (their the only Sig dealer in my general local area) order me a NIB Sig P239 DAK 9mm (with factory night sights) last week. Don't ask me how much that bad boy set me back; I'm still trying to forget myself. I picked it up earlier this week and man I love the feel of the DAK trigger and how smooth the slide on the 239 cycles (even smoother than my H&K P2000). I have dry fired it quite a bit already, but haven't gotten a chance to actually shoot it at the range yet (hopefully this weekend). I placed an order with Comp-Tac today for a Pro Undercover IWB holster and spare mag pouch for conceal carrying it. I can't wait to shoot some WWB FMJ ammo and Speer 124gr GoldDots through her, so I can start to carry it! I guess the Walther P99c QA 9mm will have to wait until next year some time.
    Last edited by AZGlock13; October 19th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.

Sigs are always a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by AZGlock13 View Post
    picked it up earlier this week and man I love the feel of the DAK trigger and how smooth the slide on the 239 cycles (even smoother than my H&K P2000)
    Congrats on the new Sig P239. This brand is always a reliable choice for CCW. I know what you mean by the smoothness of the slide when cycling - my Sig P229 slide feels like it is on ball bearings when I cycle it.

pogo2, Thanks for the congrats. Yep, this pistol is a keeper for sure!

you stated, "I try to carry whenever possible, when I'm out and about on the town and so fourth" if you look at a smaller gun you will be able to carry it all the time. glocks are great guns, i carry them on the job,,,, but for your carry i would look at a smaller gun,,,, a kel-tec p3at, s&w model 36/60, or something at/in this size. you could even look at the beretta 22lr and/or 25acp. don't get wraped around the size of the gun. the best carry gun is the gun that you have in hand when you need it,,,, not in the car or back home.

I hear what you are saying, but certain places by law will not allow me to carry legally, even with my AZ CCW permit. In AZ, any place that serves alcohol, pretty much most restaurants, you can not carry (concealed or open, permit or not), unless you are an Officer of the Law (Peace Officer). I'm not too crazy about this state law, in fact, it makes me pretty angry sometimes, but I follow it none the less (others might turn a blind eye, but I can't). I also work on a federal military installation, which defiantly prohibits me from carrying at and to and from work. These are limitations I have learned to live with unfortunately, so until these laws change, I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. Other than that, I carry just about all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links