I want another carry gun!!!

This is a discussion on I want another carry gun!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My current, or soon to be setup is a Colt Lightweight Commander XSE and a S&W 442. I am waiting for the Colt to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I want another carry gun!!!

Cool I want another carry gun!!!

My current, or soon to be setup is a Colt Lightweight Commander XSE and a S&W 442. I am waiting for the Colt to be on my permit but I currently carry it around the property IWB in a Milt Sparks VM2 and it will be my EDC. In this forsaken state we can have 3 guns listed on the permit. When I renew I am going to add another gun. So what is your suggestion to round out the collection of carry options? Opinions and rationale please. To make it even more difficult I am in the republic of CA and my choices are limited. Do not feel the need to do homework and check out the CA doj website for what is approved. I am more looking to pick the brains of people with more experience than myself and use it as a guide, not gospel. Magazine capacity will be capped at 10 so keep that in mind. Nothing smaller than a 9mm/.38 special.

While I won't say money is no object it is not the biggest factor. That said I do not need to hear about your dream $6500 1911 that you would buy if you could. Try and keep this in reality. I mention my other guns so that you might find a niche that needs fillin'

Thanks and have fun!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Glock 26 9mm. This baby was born out wedlock of the screwing of the American people from the passage of the Clinton 1994 Assault Weapons Ban limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds. Should work great in California as I'm fairly certain you folks are still limited to 10 round mags. G26 is light, dependable, accurate, durable as nails, and just an all round great carry gun and has a magazine capacity of.......d'oh. 10 rounds.

Its my EDC along with my Glock 19, and I end up carrying the 26 more. Not as pretty as your Colt XSE, but when its dark, the bad guy won't see it anyway.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Forgot to say I dislike Glocks, ergonomics, however the last time I touched one was 6 years ago so maybe it is time to reconsider. Maybe they fit my hand now!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Boberg xr9-s

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Does it have to be thin for IWB carry? I like HK's a lot, and you can get 10 round mags for them.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

If not a Glock, my other preference is SIG. My primary preference. A 229 Enhanced Elite is awfully tough to beat. I surely love my SIGs. A 229 is a fine carry gun. Spendy, but worth it.

Springfield Armory EMP/9mm; Sig-Sauer P-239/9mm/40/357; Sig-Sauer P-224; Smith & Wesson M&P Compact or Shield.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    To OP - Really (below quote from your Origional Post)? WOW~ Talk about 'Stupid potential Felonies' in CA....! What is your call sign on CALGUNS? IM me there. I'm only trying to say..... overboard on the info dude.

"To make it even more difficult I am in the republic of CA and my choices are limited. Do not feel the need to do homework and check out the CA doj website for what is approved. I am more looking to pick the brains of people with more experience than myself and use it as a guide, not gospel. Magazine capacity will be capped at 10 so keep that in mind. Nothing smaller than a 9mm/.38 special."

I understand where you are and, I am merely pointing out an obvious admission of potential 'intent'.

VIP Member
    First off, having a limit on the number of guns you can carry sucks. That said, I'd look into the possibility of the CZ75 P-01. Not sure if they are CA approved though. If they are, they have very good ergonomics, very accurate, alloy frame, and rugged. The P-01 also has rails, in case you wish to put a light or laser on it, and they won't break the bank. Forgot to mention the P-01 is 9mm. If you want it in .40 then you'd want to look at the P-06. Same gun, just different caliber.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Springfield XDS .45.

+1 on a Sig P239.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

How about a Ruger sr40c it goes 9+1?? I like mine.

Suggestion - H&K P2000sk

Your question is an interesting one, in that you have to find something with a maximum 10 round magazine that is readily available in CA. I wouldn't worry too much about the "CA approved" list, as it only covers new guns from a dealer. You are legally able to buy used off list guns through private party transfer in the state if you can find the one you want.

You have 45 caliber and your "main gun" covered with the Colt 1911, and you have the small pocket gun covered with your J frame airweight. So I would look for something in an "in between" caliber like 9mm or .40 S&W having a 10 round magazine and lightweight frame material. You might as well have all the capacity that CA allows you in a fairly lightweight and concealable gun.

I think my recommendation would be a 9mm H&K P2000sk, the most compact of the P2000 series. The gun has a 10 round standard magazine, weighs 20.8 ounces empty, and has a polymer frame. It has a reputation for reliability and is on the CA list, so you can buy it new from a dealer if you wish. It fills the same niche as the Glock 26, but you said you don't like Glocks.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Pogo,

Are there any guns that you do not own? And how long did it take you to get all of these masterful pictures??? OWB is an option but it is not my preferred method at this point. Especially as it will be for only a couple months as it only gets cold enough for coats and outer cover garments for a short period here.

Thanks for all of the advice thus far folks. I am going to check out the Glock 26, Ruger, Sig and HK. I have heard nothing but great things about all of these guns. First gun I picked up when I first started shopping was a Sig p226. Loved it, then saw the price tag. Not as much of an issue anymore but it did send me over to the glock and XD section! I really like the Ruger gun(s) I have, but the look of the SR-C has never appealed to me. That said it is not the most significant factor.

This desire will probably not be immediately satisfied but I am asking in advance to use the time i have to research. Thank you all and keep em coming!
    BigJon

Although I am a Glock person all the way, and carry a G19...With that being said, because of the restrictions on number of weapons on your CA permit, you might want to take a really hard look at the Sig P250...It offers you the option of a "caliber exchange", so, with only the P250 listed on your permit, you might be able to get away with owning a frame that will accomodate more than one caliber depending on YOUR carry caliber choice...changeable grips...DAO...available iwith 10 round mag...CA approved...etc etc etcJust sayin.....

SIG Sauer P250 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sig Sauer P250 Subcompact Handgun - Gander Mountain
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links