Finally, My First 1911 (pics included)

This is a discussion on Finally, My First 1911 (pics included) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very nice, good price too!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Finally, My First 1911 (pics included)

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Very nice, good price too!
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

Good advice all around. I've been researching the grip safety and have the tooling to modify it if needed. To clarify, I have no intention of modifying the frame. Definitely will be looking for a drop in replacement.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Congrats! Now that you own one, you know why it's a MUST for every collection.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Nice deal, and a great pistol!

My first 1911 was a Combat Commander, bought new in 1978(?). I've always wanted to add more 1911's to my stable, but never actually did, until a few weeks ago, with my new Sig C3:

c3 3.jpg
    Just got it out (finally!) to shoot yesterday. Sweet!

I waited too long for my 2nd 1911! Gotta figure out which one to get next! Suggest you don't wait 30+ years for your second one!

Enjoy!

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    sweet deal, and congrats on your new SA Mil-Spec. Won't be your last. Be advised that your next one will be more expensive, and the next one more expensive, and the next one more expensive.......
    and on it goes until you're standing on a street corner with a sign "Donations for my Wilson's Combat Please".
    +1 It's an addiction. Welcome to the 1911 club!

Nice, enjoy it's a fine weapon

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Finally, My First 1911 (pics included)

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    sweet deal, and congrats on your new SA Mil-Spec. Won't be your last. Be advised that your next one will be more expensive, and the next one more expensive, and the next one more expensive.......
    and on it goes until you're standing on a street corner with a sign "Donations for my Wilson's Combat Please".
    You ain't kiddin
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Yeah, been eyeballing a WC here recently. Trying to make up my mind if my kid really needs college or not.

Somebody call the cops, this man stole that gun! LOL, Great deal, enjoy that 1911. My guess is it won't be your last one, they do seem to multiply.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    My patience finally paid off and I finally found a great deal on a sweet 1911. A guy that I do some work for owns a pawn shop and I told him to call me when he had a quality 1911 become available. I present my Springfield Armory 1911-A1 5" Government Mil-Spec (slightly modified I think). It has some minor carry wear but was basically unfired. Absolutely clean on the inside and still stiff at every point. Came with 3 mags and the factory blue case. Out the door for $400 and an hour of my time on a minor job for him. (He lowered it to that from $525 after I showed disappointment in the idiot mark (takedown)).

I was able to get to the range last weekend and run 100 rounds though it. I used Federal 230 grain FMJ (Wal-Mart stock) and while it was pretty dirty stuff, it performed great with no malfunctions of any kind and ejected magazines fell freely. As I got used to it, grouping was tight and consistent. Even after only the 100 rounds, it had loosened up considerably and the slide and trigger moved more easily. This smoothness was amplified tonight as I field stripped it and lightly lubricated various friction points. It will take a while to get used to before I consider carrying it, but since it fits my hand like a glove, I am seriously considering using it to replace my Glock 27.

I plan on replacing the grip safety as the narrow one on it is fairly painful on my hand during firing. I will probably also replace the barrel bushing because this one is chewed up around the edges like it kept hitting something when the previous owner sat down with it in an open tip holster. Now, if I can only come across a nice Browning High Power 9mm.
    Congrats on the new purchase. My father-in-Law just bought a SA 1911 TRP. Nice gun, fun to shoot and really accurate. Funny thing, he traded a Browing High Power for it.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    Congrats on the new purchase. My father-in-Law just bought a SA 1911 TRP. Nice gun, fun to shoot and really accurate. Funny thing, he traded a Browing High Power for it.
    Okay now, that's ENOUGH!!! I'm a big fan of 1911 variants, Springfields especially. But there isn't reason in the WORLD to...trade a Browning/FN High Power.
    Last edited by ghost tracker; November 5th, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Got the 1911-A1 Stainless IIRC I paid around 450.00 used about 8 years ago
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nice, enjoy!

Excellent price on a great pistol. Who cares if it has had a hammer or anything else replaced. Who cares if it might have a scratch on it. Shoot the hell out of it. AS for a Hi Power? Good luck for finding one at a good price. I love mine and it is one of the last I would ever consider getting rid of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links