Charter arms .44 special

This is a discussion on Charter arms .44 special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read some responses from Bud's on the "low" recoil of the above and am wondering how it compares to a CA .357. How can ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lowercase
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By CaptSmith

Thread: Charter arms .44 special

Charter arms .44 special

I've read some responses from Bud's on the "low" recoil of the above and am wondering how it compares to a CA .357.
    How can it be low in .44 cal? Thanks for your input.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't call it "low" recoil. It's not brutal, though.

Compared to the same-sized Charter .357, it has about the same recoil force, but isn't as snappy as the .357 because of the .44 special being a low-pressure round.

I can say, however, that both the .357 and .44 Charters are easier on my hand than my S&W 642, and that I consider both of them to be fun guns to shoot.
    Last edited by lowercase; November 3rd, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Philly Boy likes this.

VIP Member
    What makes the difference is the loads in .44 spl are not as potent as they used to be, so you would have to handload to really get it up to the point of being near the ,357 mag as far as recoil is concerned.
    You are gonna put a hurt on whatever you shoot with .44 spl. You are really, really gonna put a hurt on whatever you shoot with .357 mag. It , I believe is mostly in the pressure with which the load is worked.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'd say low in recoil in comparison 44spl to a 357magnum in the same CA's short barrel...my 3" tapered barrel CA gets carried way more than it gets shot...and I am always a little surprised at how friendly the recoil is...and satisfing to see the effect of impact on the range target when hit....
    Philly Boy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I have a nice one, and have to agree that most .44 Special loads are weak that you can buy in local shops.

The Double Tap 200 gr. Gold Dots and TAC-XPs are not in .44 Magnum territory, but still plenty powerful out of
    a lightweight Detective Special sized gun.

I actually got more recoil out of 38+P loads in my old LCR, than any .44 Special load.
    Pics and video:

A Double Tap .44 Special Kind of Day!

Pretty cool revolver in a potent caliber, but no Glock 33 in .357 SIG that it replaced.

Unlike the G33, holsters are harder to find for the Bulldogs.

The .44 will probably go to my Dad, who shoots a stainless PUG version.

I just prefer a 9mm or .357 SIG auto over a revolver, and a light/concealable LCR out of any revolver.

The triggers is much lighter and smoother than anything else I've tried, but have fun playing with the Charters.
    If only they offered a LCR platform GP-100 sized .44 Special snubbie!
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

OD*
    Sweet Bulldog, I wish I'd never gotten rig of mine, they were a very "hot" item in the '70s+'80s.
    Still waiting for Charter Arms to get the 44 Bulldog Classic to market.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Links