Springfield XD-S

This is a discussion on Springfield XD-S within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so i narrowed it down to the XD-S for the next carry gun i want to purchase. I would like to know from the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Springfield XD-S

Springfield XD-S

Ok so i narrowed it down to the XD-S for the next carry gun i want to purchase. I would like to know from the ones who have either shot it or already own one to let me know what you think of it.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

I carry mine all the time in a Side Guard Holster (OWB) and absolutely love the gun! I shoot it well, it's fun to shoot, conceals easily and I've never had a problem with it.

Shown here in the Side Guard Holster and with the Pearce Grip Extension installed.

XD-S Side Guard Holster by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

Its my EDC
    Love it, OWB or IWB.
    I went into the LGS to browse around about 3 months ago.
    Owner showed me one, and offered to let me shoot 6 rounds for free in the range
    on his XDS.
    That was all it took... LOL

There is an XD forum where you can get more info. There have been problems reported there, but, seems like if you get a good one, then it is really good.

I've been on the fence because it is a bit pricey @ almost $600 for a 5 shot gun, it's hard to find, and there have been problems with some of them. Considering I have a PPS, I really don't need another carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I carry mine all the time in a Side Guard Holster (OWB) and absolutely love the gun! I shoot it well, it's fun to shoot, conceals easily and I've never had a problem with it.

Shown here in the Side Guard Holster and with the Pearce Grip Extension installed.

XD-S Side Guard Holster by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr
    Darn you !!
    Now I gotta have one.. < Im a sucker for highride pancakes.>

Fin

Re: Springfield XD-S

HA!
    This was my first, and won't be my last! Love it.

As far as problems, it's a poor perception. More than 99.5% of owners would recommend one according to a recent poll.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

My xd-s was my second firearm purchase, the first being a sig229 impulse buy when i co-worker was getting rid of a few pistols. I love my xd-s. extremely easy to
    carry, and i EDC it. I have put almost 500 rds through it both FMJ and self defense and have had zero issues. seems as the first couple hundred may have had the
    most issues, as all the later serial numbers seem to be well off with no issues.

just my 2 cents

-jason
    If I were being beaten to an inch of my life, Iím not going to tell you to call the police. Iím going to say
    ďSomebody please shoot this Mother F**ker!Ē

Well thats good to hear, hows the recoil on them being chambered in .45 and all?

I have a Kimber in .45 but its a large gun and all stainless so very heavy too but the recoil is very minimal.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Re: Springfield XD-S

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and it's about the same, but a little more "pop" with the XD-S.

I find follow up shots pretty manageable as well.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

I got to shoot one, but really like the Glock 36 better. Could be cause I am pretty damn familiar with the G36 though.

I purchased mine in May. It is now my EDC. 500 rounds through and no problems. It is as easy to conceal as a LCP, which I own one of. It is a very controllable gun and accurate. I also purchased the extended mags for my XDS and it is still easy to conceal with the 7 rounds. Totally recommend this gun

over 500 rds thru mine without a hitch... easier to shoot than a PF9

I really wanted to like the XDS. Fit my hand well, love the .45, smaller than my G19.
    Went to (2) LGS and rented theirs..
    First shop had a 504 series serial #. Put 100 rds through it on 2 seperate occasions (mix of Aguila and WWB ball ammo). First outing, I noticed that at 25' I was concentrating hard to keep it in a 4" circle & had a light primer hit at approx the 30th round. (I moved the slide enough to reset the striker & it fired fine on the second attempt). Second outing with same XDS at the same store, approx 10 light primer strikes out of 50 rds.
    Second shop (not sure of serial #)... using Federal WB Ball, after 24 shots I had 3 light primer strikes that failed to fire (would fire once the striker reset).
    I did not have any issues with the XDS failing to go fully into battery. I liked the trigger pull on the XDS slightly over my G19. It was still fairly pleasent to shoot given its size. One of the guns did start to pinch my trigger finger after ~25rds. (figure some polishing could correct it). Sights were excellent on both...although I will say that once the front sight becomes dirty, that eye popping initial sight picture is no longer.
    For me the biggest issue was reliability. I had read about the XDS issue with light strikes and figured like most things on the internet, it was overblown. Given my experience with these (2) particular examples, I cannot recommend it for defensive purposes & I really had planned on purchasing one of these. YMMV
    Respectfully,
    Automatic

Great gun! No issues with mine. I don't always carry it but it does what it's supposed to and does it well.

Springfield XD-S

I love my XDs. It is my EDC in a Multi-Holsters kydex IWB "quick ship" holster.

I have hundreds of factory rounds through mine with no hiccups, but today at the range I had three light primer strikes with some of my reloads that had been, up to this point, 100% reliable.

To be fair, I'm certain it was the reloads at fault. I was having some issues with primer seating depth while teaching one of my friends the art of reloading.

My serial is 517XXX.

Again, I need to emphasize that my gun has been 100% reliable with factory bullets and my EDC ammo (185gr Gold Dots).

Overall, I am very pleased with it. Easy to conceal, easy to shoot, easy to keep clean.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links