Cost of losing in a shooting? - Page 2

Cost of losing in a shooting?

This is a discussion on Cost of losing in a shooting? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I would say that if you are in a jurisdiction where you don't get it back right away and have to fight for it, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Cost of losing in a shooting?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Well, I would say that if you are in a jurisdiction where you don't get it back right away and have to fight for it, consider how much you would have to pay the lawyer to do the fighting for you. If you can fight yourself, great, and I might do so out of principle, but you would have to weigh the "cost" of the time and frustration and then the actual monetary cost.

But would that impact my decision on what to carry? No. Reliability and fit are the important parts. My life is worth the cost of any gun.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I am also a member on a couple of boards that deal with antique fire arms. This subject comes up often, where someone posts that they will use their Great Grand fathers SAA Colt as a carry gun. I remind them that if used in a shooting it will be seized, put in a corrosive box with chemicals that will raise any finger prints, it will be fired several times, then be tagged and tossed into a bin with several other guns [ all without cleaning or even oiling ]. Come court time a guy with a shopping basket will pull all the guns for court that day piling them in the cart. After court its back into the bin waiting for court disposition. Where I live that could be 2 to 10 years all that time without being cleaned or even placed in a protective cover.

So I don't use family guns or even antiques as carry guns. I do have a few of what would be considered a BBQ guns. nice grips, some engraving, etc that I would carry. But mostly the carried guns are working guns with little value other that as a gun.

And here in CA they can confiscate all your guns in a SD shooting if you are not fully cooperative. This could even be as simple as not talking till you see your lawyer. This isn't common but Ive seen it happen. DR

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    First and foremost while I have been looking for a better carry gun the thing I am most concerned with is concealabilty, stopping power, qty of rds. But I started thinking about appearance. Let's face it with as many "Look what I just bought" threads you know we like showing off our new toys. Because of that I have been looking at some very capable but expensive guns due to their appearance. But what happens if I actually have to use it. I mean a $500 Sig 2022 will do the same job as a $2500 Ed Brown. But after it does it's job protecting me what happens if the cops take it for a little, long, or worse yet indefinite time? I am assuming they are not going to let you continue on with your gun. At the very least it may be taken as evidence and stored and handled not as nicely as we do ourselves.

Does anyone know what happens after a shooting?
    Do you consider cost of loss while choosing?

What do you guys think about this subject?
    My friend was involved in a shooting (justified) back about two months ago, wherein he was a security guard OTJ at a night club and he was forced to shoot and critically wound a shooter on scene. The Police took, as evidence, his weapon (a Glock .357sig with a .40S&W barrel and mags) all of his magazines fired or unfired, all of his ammunition, and will not/can not return them to him until the case against the maggot he shot is closed either by trial, or by plea deal. I mentioned that if this was his only gun, he'd be out of a job by now, however even after ballistics is done, the court case has to end before evidence can be released back to it's rightful owner.

That's what happens.

Be prepared. There is a reason some people will tell you that if you find a gun you like, to buy it, and then buy a second one just like it.

My life is worth more than the cost of any firearm I may own. I'm not a 1911 guy. I own Sig, Glock, Walther, CZ and others and I will gladly surrender any of them should I be forced to use it in SD.
    Piratesailor likes this.

Re: Cost of losing in a shooting?

I'm in the who cares about the cost of the gun if I've had to shoot somebody camp. Its about to get way more expensive than any of the guns I carry at that point.

sent via iCarry

wouldn't it be nice if the cops would just show up after a shooting and say " oh this is the guy that broke into YOUR home and take YOUR things at gunpoint? and you shot him twice? oh well okay sir, we will have this body moved right away, you better get back to bed, have a good nights sleep" since when should a law abiding citizen be forced to go to court and defend his actions because he/she shot someone who was trying to take his/her life?
    msc8127 and accessbob like this.

VIP Member
    I'm a guy that doesn't own guns that aren't tools (other than one gun given to me by my mother, it was her first duty gun and it is a safe queen). Some of those tools cost about $500 others cost a few hundred more, and one cost a great deal more. Not one of them is worth more than someone I love or myself is worth. All of them fall well short of being willing to live without a loved one. If the police feel the need to take my gun, so be it. I bought it for a purpose and apparently it served that purpose. I can always buy another gun, they make more every day.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    If my $300 Sigma was used to save my life then the price of my Sigma (to me) is worth far more than any gun on the market cost. With that being said, I could care less what happens with the gun as that gun served its purpose as I would still be alive to miss it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

When I read threads like this my stomach aches. Our country is so far from what it is supposed to be. If I shoot a bad guy and it is clearly a case of self defense, I should keep my gun, plain and simple. I hate legislation, lawmakers, and bureaucrats. I could go on, but I won't.

That said, if you can't take your carry weapon off your hip right now and drop it in your driveway, you need a different carry weapon. I am a weekend mechanic and I don't think twice about banging my wrenches with a 3lb mini sledge, my gun is no different.

P.S. Mental note to self, get at least 2 more Glock 27's just in case.....
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I consider saving my life is worth the price of any firearm. You should expect it to at least be confiscated as evidence during the course of the investigation.

If it's a clean shoot, you should get it back eventually. But know there have been many cases where the police have made a big issue out of keeping it even if it's been a justifiable shooting. People have had the additional expense of having to go to court to have a judge order that their gun be returned.

But for me, personally, I consider any gun I use to defend myself may end up being lost forever.
    Sir, your correct. If your life is on the line. Why be cheap. But if I use a $2,000 weapon to save my butt and lose my weapon oh well. I well get another one. But I'am alive.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by sigsmitty View Post
    My life is worth more than the cost of any firearm I may own. I'm not a 1911 guy. I own Sig, Glock, Walther, CZ and others and I will gladly surrender any of them should I be forced to use it in SD.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. The cost of losing in a shooting is your life, not the gun.

Cost of losing in a shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    wouldn't it be nice if the cops would just show up after a shooting and say " oh this is the guy that broke into YOUR home and take YOUR things at gunpoint? and you shot him twice? oh well okay sir, we will have this body moved right away, you better get back to bed, have a good nights sleep" since when should a law abiding citizen be forced to go to court and defend his actions because he/she shot someone who was trying to take his/her life?

We can't forget the Fifth Amendment in our fervor to protect the Second. Due process is a vital part of our civil society.

Look at it this way...

The average cost of a funeral is $5,000 - $8,000. Especially if you haven't already bought a cemetery plot.

If I survive the gunfight because of the edge my custom pistol afforded me, and the police confiscate my $3,000 super tricked out Wilson Custom pistol... I'm still saving between $2,000 - $5000 over the price of a funeral. And that doesn't include what my family would lose from my future income if I were still around to work and earn a living.
    DRM likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Had a buddy here in Alabama shoot a robber with his SIG. Police took his gun and he didn't get it back until six months AFTER the case was tried.

What's worse is that the police engraved the case umber into the slide (looks awful)!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

The expense of your ccw is a popcorn fart (even in a justified shooting) compared to your eventual investment in time & qualified legal council (for both the criminal & civil proceedings). Every round of ammo you own has...a lawyer attached.
    Yetiman likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links