Cost of losing in a shooting?

This is a discussion on Cost of losing in a shooting? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First and foremost while I have been looking for a better carry gun the thing I am most concerned with is concealabilty, stopping power, qty ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Cost of losing in a shooting?

First and foremost while I have been looking for a better carry gun the thing I am most concerned with is concealabilty, stopping power, qty of rds. But I started thinking about appearance. Let's face it with as many "Look what I just bought" threads you know we like showing off our new toys. Because of that I have been looking at some very capable but expensive guns due to their appearance. But what happens if I actually have to use it. I mean a $500 Sig 2022 will do the same job as a $2500 Ed Brown. But after it does it's job protecting me what happens if the cops take it for a little, long, or worse yet indefinite time? I am assuming they are not going to let you continue on with your gun. At the very least it may be taken as evidence and stored and handled not as nicely as we do ourselves.

Does anyone know what happens after a shooting?
    Do you consider cost of loss while choosing?

What do you guys think about this subject?

Your list should include reliability!

That said, I don't think it's just the cost of not having the gun after a firing, it's an absolute opportunity cost. Very few people are going to be looking at your gun, and I don't like the idea of it being some type of status symbol. For this reason, spending $2000 more on a gun - for aesthetic purposes - seems to be unwise. From an SD perspective, you have much, much better uses for that $2k. From a social- or self-investment perspective, there're a LOT of better uses for that $2k.
    mg27 and darbo like this.
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

You make some good points. I have no safe queens... all of my guns are tools that I wouldn't be heat-broken to lose.

Oh, and $500 is too much to pay for a 2022. I paid $369 for a brand new one less than a year ago.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I think the $500 I paid for my Glock 30 is a small investment should it save my life. I can buy another G30; there ain't but one of me (and some folks are glad of it!). Plus I have more than one hadgun that will fill the bill.
    Old School and sixgun like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For $2500 I would buy a Glock, S&W, or XD ~$550
    AR ~$1500 with for a really good one
    HD Shotgun ~$400

Thats less then $2500

Or forgo the AR for a later time and use that 1500 for ammo......
    mano3 likes this.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

In Wisconsin if you use it the LEO take it. Once they have it your not getting it back. There have been two justified self defense shooting in Wisconsin by CC holder one in his home the other in a store neither have had the firearms returned. When ask for their guns back DA say not going to happen

Re: Cost of losing in a shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    In Wisconsin if you use it the LEO take it. Once they have it your not getting it back. There have been two justified self defense shooting in Wisconsin by CC holder one in his home the other in a store neither have had the firearms returned. When ask for their guns back DA say not going to happen
    Wow... guess I should start carrying a hipoint.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Florida law on this topic. Note that it deals with persons "arrested," not those who are involved in a justified SD shooting and the handgun is taken for ballistic testing or whatever.

790.08 Taking possession of weapons and arms; reports; disposition; custody.—(1) Every officer making an arrest under s. 790.07, or under any other law or municipal ordinance within the state, shall take possession of any weapons, electric weapons or devices, or arms mentioned in s. 790.07 found upon the person arrested and deliver them to the sheriff of the county, or the chief of police of the municipality wherein the arrest is made, who shall retain the same until after the trial of the person arrested.
    (2) If the person arrested as aforesaid is convicted of violating s. 790.07, or of a similar offense under any municipal ordinance, or any other offense involving the use or attempted use of such weapons, electric weapons or devices, or arms, such weapons, electric weapons or devices, or arms shall become forfeited to the state, without any order of forfeiture being necessary, although the making of such an order shall be deemed proper, and such weapons, electric weapons or devices, or arms shall be forthwith delivered to the sheriff by the chief of police or other person having custody thereof, and the sheriff is hereby made the custodian of such weapons, electric weapons or devices, and arms for the state.
    (3) If the person arrested as aforesaid is acquitted of the offenses mentioned in subsection (2), the said weapons, electric weapons or devices, or arms taken from the person as aforesaid shall be returned to him or her; however, if he or she fails to call for or receive the same within 60 days from and after his or her acquittal or the dismissal of the charges against him or her, the same shall be delivered to the sheriff as aforesaid to be held by the sheriff as hereinafter provided. This subsection shall likewise apply to persons and their weapons, electric weapons or devices, or arms who have heretofore been acquitted or the charges against them dismissed.
    (4) All such weapons, electric weapons or devices, and arms now in, or hereafter coming into, the hands of any of the peace officers of this state or any of its political subdivisions, which have been found abandoned or otherwise discarded, or left in their hands and not reclaimed by the owners shall, within 60 days, be delivered by such peace officers to the sheriff of the county aforesaid.
    (5) Weapons, electric weapons or devices, and arms coming into the hands of the sheriff pursuant to subsections (3) and (4) aforesaid shall, unless reclaimed by the owner thereof within 6 months from the date the same come into the hands of the said sheriff, become forfeited to the state, and no action or proceeding for their recovery shall thereafter be maintained in this state.
    (6) Weapons, electric weapons or devices, and arms coming into the hands of the sheriff as aforesaid shall be listed, kept, and held by him or her as custodian for the state. Any or all such weapons, electric weapons or devices, and arms suitable for use by the sheriff may be so used. All such weapons, electric weapons or devices, and arms not needed by the said sheriff may be loaned to any other department of the state or to any county or municipality having use for such weapons, electric weapons or devices, and arms. The sheriff shall take the receipt of such other department, county, or municipality for such weapons, electric weapons or devices, and arms loaned to them. All weapons, electric weapons or devices, and arms which are not needed or which are useless or unfit for use shall be destroyed or otherwise disposed of by the sheriff as provided in chapter 705 or as provided in the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act. All sums received from the sale or other disposition of the said weapons, electric weapons or devices, or arms disposed of by the sheriff under chapter 705 as aforesaid shall be paid into the State Treasury for the benefit of the State School Fund and shall become a part thereof. All sums received from the sale or other disposition of any such weapons, electric weapons or devices, or arms disposed of by the sheriff under the Florida Contraband Forfeiture Act shall be disbursed as provided therein.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I consider saving my life is worth the price of any firearm. You should expect it to at least be confiscated as evidence during the course of the investigation.

If it's a clean shoot, you should get it back eventually. But know there have been many cases where the police have made a big issue out of keeping it even if it's been a justifiable shooting. People have had the additional expense of having to go to court to have a judge order that their gun be returned.

But for me, personally, I consider any gun I use to defend myself may end up being lost forever.
    DRM, SatCong, bakes and 2 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Most places I've heard of take your gun as evidence if used. Even if the bad guy is ckearly bad and very dead they do it for the civil lawsuit likely to follow for you dispatching an upstanding young man who was mearly confused. I've heard that typically they will hold it for a year then either distroy it or return it.

That's one reason I decided not to carry "Dad's Gun" that I inherited, a 1911 Colt Commander Lightweight .45. Besides being worth a lot of money it is an heirloom for my son and his sons. I just got a Glock 30 that shoots as well as Dad's 45 but is to be a working gun and if I loose it I'll buy another.

Guns are cheaper than other costs of a shooting

If you use a gun to defend yourself justifiably, the cost of the confiscated gun will be a minor cost compared to other costs you will incur. You many well have to hire a lawyer, which can cost thousands of dollars. You may have to take time off work to testify, and your reputation may be harmed by the publicity. You may also have to sit in jail or make bail, as George Zimmerman in Florida did recently. The average handgun costs maybe $500, and losing it to the police may be the least of your worries.
    Bark'n and Macattack like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

From what I read, in some jurisdictions, all your guns will be taken in if you are involved in a shooting.

So dad's heirloom may not be safe after all.

Might be a good idea to keep one elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    From what I read, in some jurisdictions, all your guns will be taken in if you are involved in a shooting.
    I don't know anywhere that would be legal to do, unless you are being charged with murder. If that's the case, that is going to be the least of your concerns.

Do you know of any jurisdictions which does that for certain, or just something you've heard?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

No real cite, but I've heard of it happening back in the 80's so it isn't just internet rumor.

I'm thinking Ayoob has mentioned it before. It also probably has a lot to do with your AO. More likely in Cali or NY than TX.

As far as how weapons are treated under police custody. I am not LEO, but work in construction. My county Sheriff's office recently made upgrades, and after we finished the project, I had to go back and do some additional work in the evidence room (under supervision, [to work on the project you had to have a clean record, passing an extensive background check by the Sheriff, FBI, and submit to drug tests]).

There were all kinds of long guns tagged and piled, some on the concrete floor, some on shelves. I got the impression they don't care about how they treat seized weapons. I don't recall seeing any handguns, though they did have some gun safes.

I've made friends with the Sheriff, many deputies, and recently (establishing our Neighborhood Watch) some of the city police. This would actually be a great conversation to have with them.
    Last edited by Blackheart6; November 3rd, 2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Add last paragraph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links