Glock 26 or 27

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or 27 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OldVet it isn't that it is confusing to own multiple calibers or anything difficult. At the moment I own handguns chambered for 6 calibers and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Glock 26 or 27

VIP Member
    OldVet it isn't that it is confusing to own multiple calibers or anything difficult. At the moment I own handguns chambered for 6 calibers and don't have any issues. However when you're looking at guns to be used primarily as defensive weapons and you're not someone with a large collection, there are huge advantages to picking same caliber guns, particularly with the Glock platform. Being able to stock one caliber lets you get a reasonable amount of ammo more easily. Being able to use the same magazines means less investment is required to have two guns that are able to be used in bad situations. Making your first two handguns the compact and subcompact Glocks of the same caliber is a great idea. I wish I'd have done that instead of waiting so long to make it work for me.
    First Sgt likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

You probably want to stick with 9mm out of consistency. With that said, my personal rule of thumb in most cases is to get the largest caliber for any given model/style.

VIP Member
    Let me make this simple for you g26 all day long.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have both. I shoot them both well. I shoot the 26 faster with excellent accuracy. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 26.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

G26 for mag interchange capability

If I had a 19 and wanted the compact, I would buy the 26. 19 mags fit the 26, same cheaper ammo, and if you put the shot ware it belongs, your target will not know the difference. I have the 26. I had a 19. I should of kept the 19. I like the 19 grip better. I keep the 19 mag in my 26 with spacer so I got my 19 grip feel back. Your choice. Don't get caught up in the stopping power crap. If you use quality self defense ammo, shot placement is what counts.

I have had a couple of both and can shoot both well. Without a doubt the 9mm is a softer shooter. I currently have a Gen 4 G26 which is my primary EDC. With today's ammo you have more than enough stopping power and 9mm ammo will ALWAYS be more readily available and less expensive than .40. The ability to use your G19 mags in a pinch would be the deal maker IMHO. My 2 cents.

If you already have the 19 then you should stick with 9mm and get the 26. stocking up on 1 type of ammo is much easier then to stock up on multiple. Plus 9mm is much cheaper then .40 especially in the long run.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Its a no brainer...... G26
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

They are about identical in size, 9mm defense ammo (even +P+ if you like) in this day and age are very effective already ... if you need power then you should just go with .45

I was like you, had handguns in 380, 9mm and .40... I have since consolidated to 9mm, stocking up handgun ammo is now a no-brainer. I also have 19 and 26, I can share those 19 mags with the 26... Life is good.

I'm a G26 guy myself. So it gets my vote.
    Question Everything!

If you are only buying one, buy the 27. You can buy a conversion barrel and the appropriate magazine to shoot the 9mm and now you have both guns...
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Glock 26 or 27

Price out shooting a couple of thousand rounds of 9mm vs .40. Ask yourself if shooting more will make you more/less proficient in self defense than a larger caliber. Then you will have your answer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XDshooter View Post
    If you are only buying one, buy the 27. You can buy a conversion barrel and the appropriate magazine to shoot the 9mm and now you have both guns...
    That would be true for range use. However, if you want reliability for carry, you need to change the extractor and ejector as well.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    Price out shooting a couple of thousand rounds of 9mm vs .40. Ask yourself if shooting more will make you more/less proficient in self defense than a larger caliber. Then you will have your answer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course, if you have the means, price of .40 cal vs 9mm isn't a factor.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links