Heading to a gun showing next month! need some help

This is a discussion on Heading to a gun showing next month! need some help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok everyone, i just bought my glock 19 a month or so ago, but I already feel like I need another one in my life. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Arborigine
  • 1 Post By GamesAndGuns

Thread: Heading to a gun showing next month! need some help

Thumbs up Heading to a gun showing next month! need some help

ok everyone, i just bought my glock 19 a month or so ago, but I already feel like I need another one in my life. I am heading to a local gun show and I am playing with the idea of getting a 1911.( merry christmas to me ) Can anyone tell me some good ones to look out for? I'm not trying to spend an arm and two legs for one but I would still love to have one. should i stay away from the taurus models? are there any junk ones that are just 800 dollar paper weights? i'm worried i am going to screw up and buy a piece of junk and then have my girlfriend make me sleep on the porch

2. Remove Ads

I love my Colt Commander XSE. It was not cheap but I personally feel it was very worth it. I have heard, but have no experience, with the Springfield Loaded Models. Make sure to check out the thread, or sticky on the safety checks for a 1911.

1911 Colt & Clone FUNCTION CHECK
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

thanks Big Jon! that will come in handy when I'm molesting all those beautiful 1911's.

Another would be a SA loaded great gun

Folks badmouth Kimbers, but mine runs perfect. I am no 1911 expert, but it seems as though the 3 and 4 inch models have most of the troubles. Get a 5 incher.

man if i could afford one i would! i would really like to find a colt 1911 at some estate sale. in WV you can legally sell your 'personal collection' of firearms without having to use an
    FFL dealer. it has always been a dream of mine to stop by one of those little yard sales and find a 50 year old 1911 in mint condition burried in the bottom of a box

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have a Springfield 1911-A1, and it's awesome. I bought it dirt cheap, and it's been flawless.

I, personally, would stay away from Taurus, Regent (unless you're looking for a project gun), and possibly Kimber (not downing them, just it's a high price for a 'starter' gun).

Rock Island Armory is a good entry level priced 1911.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    There is only one original.
    pir8fan likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have a Springfield 1911A1 in stainless that I dearly love. Colts and Kimbers are a bit out of my budget. I would, based on personal experence, avoid Taurus. Here is my Springfield that has been absolutely flawless from day one:
    Attached Images
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    man if i could afford one i would! i would really like to find a colt 1911 at some estate sale. in WV you can legally sell your 'personal collection' of firearms without having to use an
    FFL dealer. it has always been a dream of mine to stop by one of those little yard sales and find a 50 year old 1911 in mint condition burried in the bottom of a box
    This might be just the thing for you. Might even make you not quite so "angry." Nothing wrong with a quality used 1911 type gun, especially a Colt. It's the route I took early this year after considering adding an additional 1911 to the menagerie, the first in some years. After looking in on all the great ones seen here on the Forum and on manufacturers' sites including Colt, I determined to purchase this unmolested garden variety commercial Colt, a Government Model from 1947 and a very accurate, well-mannered, and dependable pistol it's proven to be. A very rewarding pistol to own and shoot.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Heading to a gun showing next month! need some help

I bought a Taurus PT1911 a short time ago and so far it's been flawless. It's by far the smoothest pistol that I've ever shot. Another thing to remember with Taurus is that it has a lifetime warranty on it regardless of who owns it. If you find a used Taurus it's probably one of the only ones there that still has a full warranty.
    pir8fan likes this.

I don't own either one, but I've heard good things about the Ruger SR1911 and Remington R1. Both run around $700 IIRC.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Rather than purchasing a new weapon, why don't you spend the money on some "quality" professional defensive pistol or fighting pistol training...The training with your G19 would serve you much better in being able to protect yourself, GF, and family, than buying another weapon, just because you have the bug, and not be able to protect yourself...You can always add to your stockpile down the road...Get your training out of the way and build upon it throughout your lifetime...tJMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Links