Considering RIA 1911 Compact

This is a discussion on Considering RIA 1911 Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the LGS this week and saw a lonely RIA 1911 sitting there and I picked it up and it feels good but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering RIA 1911 Compact

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

I went to the LGS this week and saw a lonely RIA 1911 sitting there and I picked it up and it feels good but I want some thoughts on these firearms for CC and HD rotation before I take the plunge and add one to my collection.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Considering RIA 1911 Compact

Usually a rather inexpensive way to see if you like the 1911 platform. I've had a full size Rock Island, it handled well and was reliable with the right ammo.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

I've had mine for a few years now. I have put a few thousand rounds of factory and reloads through mine, and have never had any issues. The factory grips suck, so I would suggest getting some nice wood double diamonds, or other grips of your choice. I like the VZ ETC grips I got for my Wife's P238 so much that I ordered a set for my P238, and will probably get a set for my RIA Compact.

If you get the non-tactical model, be advised that the sites are not the best, at least not as good as the RIA Tacticals. It will take any mag made for an 45ACP 1911; officer sized and larger. I haven't changed any parts on mine but I would have to assume that most 1911 parts can be fitted to the gun. Overall they are a great gun for the money IMHO.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've never heard bad about them. Well, no bad apart from the guys who can't hear anything good because they're too busy yelling about 'COLT!!'.

Every RIA I've looked over and handled was great. Never shot one, but the trigger feels pretty nice out of the box. I would recommend one to anyone interested in trying out the 1911 platform (as if there were any others worth using ). RIA makes a great mil-spec 1911. If nothing else, you have a really good base to start customizing off of.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Good guns. As said above they're a great way to see if you like the 1911 platform, and you can go the customization route if you want also. I've had a few and they were all good. I honestly can't justify the difference in price between a RIA and the higher end 1911's I've owned.

They're good guns. I have one right now and have owned another in the past. They're not high dollar pistols (you already know that) and don't have the fit and finish of a higher end gun. However, they are mechanically good to go. I've got probably 30,000 rounds through this one and it's lived through several training sessions and classes.

VIP Member
    Good entry level 1911. Not as refined as a DW, Sig or Colt, but a good gun for the money.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have a Citadel compact (same as RIA almost) and it is a wonderful gun. I carry it from time to time. Never had a failure in it.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I have a full size RIA in two tone finish. Changed out the grips to coco bolo.

Excellent gun, can't justify paying more for a 1911. But I'm not one who is concerned about brand names.

I bought a RIA 1911cs for $415 at a gun show about a month ago. I really liked it, then ordered a set of Hogue Cocobolo grips and now I love it. They may be cheaper than all the others, but mine functions great, and they have a lifetime warranty.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    No personal experience with them. But the negatives ( FTE,FTF) have been far and few between

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I've got a full size Gov't that eats anything (roughly 5,000 rounds or more). A friend tricked it out with some Wilson Combat parts and put a fiber optic front sight on it. Unbelievably accurate and reliable. I also have RIA's 4" (not a 4.25"" Commander) and it's my EDC. It's a little finicky about ammo, but works well with Winchester PDX-1 230 grain, Hornady 185 grain Critical Defense and all 230 ball ammo. The only ammo the 4" hasn't digested 100% is my lead round nose I loaded for IDPA matches. The same friend who tricked out both of my Rocks owns the "Officer's" model. He loves it. I've shot it and, while not bad, it's not my cup of tea. I prefer a slightly larger frame. You can customize it at will and Brownell's has a great selection of parts.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I too don't own one but I have anough to interest in one that I've read a lot posts about them and there are far more positive comments than negative comments.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Here's another very happy RIA 1911CS user. I've yet to have a failure of any type after well over 500rounds thru it, including FMJ, LSWC and XTP JHP's. Think so highly of it that I sprung for a set of CT laser grips for it for EDC and home defense. It's a keeper.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Well took the Plunge and it followed me home today got it and a get of houge grips and holster for 460. Was breaking it down and was noticing the CS model did not come with a barrel bushing. I have seen videos on youtube and the full size RIA have barrel bushing. Is my firearm missing the bushing or did it not come with one. I will take it to the range in the following days. The other question I have is being that it is a used firearm what might be the first things I might have to have upgraded parts wise. I am looking at replacement sights in the very near future.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links