Ever realize your favorite gun is not the best gun for you?

This is a discussion on Ever realize your favorite gun is not the best gun for you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by pogo2 The original poster, who carries J frame snubbies, has trouble shooting them as well as his compact to full size semiautos. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ever realize your favorite gun is not the best gun for you?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The original poster, who carries J frame snubbies, has trouble shooting them as well as his compact to full size semiautos. I can sympathize, as I have a 642 and it is very difficult to shoot well. The gun is lightweight (15 ounces) with a 10 pound trigger pull, 2 inch barrel and minimal sights. When you pull the trigger the gun moves easily off target.

He could certainly improve his accuracy by going to the larger semiauto, but there might be another solution. In addition to my J frames, I also have snubbie revolvers in K frame and L frame size. These guns are much heavier than the J frames (32 to 34 ounces) and have excellent adjustable sights with very smooth DA triggers. I find that I can shoot these K and L frame snubbies as well as a typical semiauto, in either double or single action fire. They just don't move much when I pull the trigger, and my groups at 30 to 40 feet are as good as I can achieve with most semiautos. And these K and L frame snubbies conceal rather well in belt carry because of their rounded shape compared to semiautos.

The original poster could stick with revolvers by simply buying a larger model snubbie and possibly achieve the same accuracy as his semiautos. I would recommend the S&W models 19, 66 or 686.

<Image Snip>
    Yup. I have 686's in 2.5, 3 and 4 inch barrels. The leaf spring on the L frame make for a nice and steady trigger pull, and I can certainly point shoot with the 686's much more accurately than the j-frames. I also have a simply rugged holster for my 2.5 686+, but the L frame is a bit of a bear to carry all day, and the CZ 75 PCR is much more comfortable for all day carry. FWIW the 686+ 4" is my "nightstand gun."

I also have a 6" Model 29 in Nickel. Strictly a range banger, though, lots of fun.

I like the 66 and the 19 you have pictured. Nice!

2. Remove Ads

OP, you have mentioned two of the most shootable handgun designs ever fielded. Excellent taste on your part. Either would serve you very well.

Sadly, although I adore my S&W Model 638 .38 Special +P J-Frame for special purpose applications, I'll be the first to observe that it is the least shootable gun I have ever owned or shot. Too-short sight radius, too-heavy trigger pull (15 pounds pull against a 1 pound gun out of the box), lots of muzzle flash, not enough ammunition on-board, slow to reload compared almost any semi-automatic, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links