9MM to 357Sig conversion...???

This is a discussion on 9MM to 357Sig conversion...??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to the forum and have already learned a lot!!! Been lurking for a few months. I finally got rid of my last 1911 and ...

New to the forum and have already learned a lot!!! Been lurking for a few months. I finally got rid of my last 1911 and have become a Glock junkie. I have recently purchased a 19 and 17, but I am absolutely fascinated with the 357Sig. I am strongly considering buying a couple barrel conversions, so the question is this. I see how easy and effective it is to go 40 to 357, but what about going 9 to 357??? Looks as simple as buying the barrel and mags? What am I missing since I can't seem to find much if any written about going 9 to 357? Thanx in advance for any tips, tricks and advice?

Distinguished Member
    Pretty sure you can't exchange calibers with a 9mm glock from what I've learned. Just the with a 40 or 357 glock you can interchange or go to 9mm with a barrel and mag change. A big reason I ended up going with a G23 instead of a G19.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Pretty sure you can't exchange calibers with a 9mm glock from what I've learned. Just the with a 40 or 357 glock you can interchange or go to 9mm with a barrel and mag change. A big reason I ended up going with a G23 instead of a G19.
    ^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can go from .357 sig/.40 to 9mm with a mag swap, but not vice-versa.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Yeah, if you want .357 sig your going to have to buy a new gun
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    Yeah, if you want .357 sig your going to have to buy a new gun
    No, you can use the same frame (if it's a three pin), you just need another upper (slide/barrel assembly).

The inside of the slide is milled to accept a 9mm case head with is significantly smaller than 40...This is why you need a new slide. 357 sig is a 40 case necked down so the barrel is the only thing different. A 40 can sometimes be converted to 9mm but now there is room around the case head on the slide... This is overcome by specially tuning the extractor but reliability can be iffy and it's generally not recommended for carry in this configuration.

Get a 31 or a 32. 357 SIG is a dandy cartridge. My favorite.

Or do what I did, and get both.

Links