XS Big Dot Sights...

This is a discussion on XS Big Dot Sights... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it's finally the time in my life when standard sights just don't cut the cheese, and my IDPA scores are suffering from it, so... ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dennis1209
  • 3 Post By Dennis1209

Thread: XS Big Dot Sights...

XS Big Dot Sights...

Well, it's finally the time in my life when standard sights just don't cut the cheese, and my IDPA scores are suffering from it, so...

I purchased the XS BIG Dot sights for my Ruger SP101 and Kimber CDP II to try and continue to compete, and for my CCW carry. I came to the conclusion I needed bigger sights when I recently renewed my drivers license. When the rude lady at the drivers license facility commanded I read line two from the vision machine, I stuck my face up there and seen six nice horizontal black lines? I removed my face from the machine and checked my cell phone to make sure it wasn't April 1st and this wasn't a joke.

Fortunately living in Tennessee, part of passing high school and being a redneck is knowing the Constitution and memorizing the Snellen Chart. So I casually say, "D-E-F-P-O-T-E-C" Guess it pays to go to school on certain days.

Now it's time to call the fine people at XS Sights and order my Really Big XS Bigger Great Big Dot System. I informed the nice lady of my needs. I informed her I wanted the front big dot about the size of a grape, or I would pay a little extra for golf ball size.

Silence ensued... Hello, hello... are you still there I ask? She apologized and said her computer screen just got covered with what she was munching on? She relayed to me that they don't make those sights in the size I wanted, so I asked about "pea size" front sights?

Then the nice lady politely requested I call her back in a few minutes, that she had soiled herself? I guess she was playing around with a potted plant on her desk and got some dirt on her desk or something?

To make a long story short, here's what I installed on a couple of my carry weapons. Next post might be with Braille sights and a Braille camera?

smolck likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

2. Remove Ads

I just recently (last week), installed the XS Big Dot Sights on my G19. I've been to the range once now with the new sights. Shot 150 rounds at several distances from 5 yards out to about 25 yards. The jury is still out for me on these things. The big dot is different. We'll see after a few more range sessions.

I have them in the standard size front dot. very easy to line up the sights, just dot the I and your good to go.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I just recently (last week), installed the XS Big Dot Sights on my G19. I've been to the range once now with the new sights. Shot 150 rounds at several distances from 5 yards out to about 25 yards. The jury is still out for me on these things. The big dot is different. We'll see after a few more range sessions.
    I know what you mean.

I've shot mine several times now. At practical self defense ranges (bad breath - 10 yards) they're excellent, accurate and I pick up the front sight easily. At many of the IDPA competition target distances, I guess I need some more practice.

But the big thing for me is personal defense and being able to pick up the sights instantly. I can't imagine a scenario in my wanderings I would need to un-holster my weapon at more than 5-7 yards anyway. So these sights fill my bill, and I like them for what they're designed to do.
    wmhawth, sparkykb and smolck like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I like the Big Dots on the couple guns I had them put on. It is easier to pick up that front sight, especially in low light conditions (which many people, including me, don't practice as much as they should).

I've got XS Big Dots on a couple of subcompact Glocks.
    The Big Dot is very good for fast sight acquisition and quick hits at 6 - 7 yards (IME).
    Just so happens that most of my practice is centered around double taps at 6 - 7 yards.

I had my vision checked last month.
    I'm right eye dominant and I could tell that my right eye was weaker than my left, has been for awhile.
    I have 20/20 with both eyes open / left eye, objects at same distance will have some fuzz with just my right.
    I did not get glasses, not worth the small improvement - yet; he said I probably see better than most people driving down the road as is.

I've noticed that I can see a regular front sight Trijicon / Meprolight clearer on a compact or subcompact Glock than a full size 1911.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I shot my buddy's M&P 9 with big dots. I actually liked them. Great for quick sight picture. But I went with Trijicon HD's for a few of my carry guns. That front sight really jumps out at ya too. Plus, I feel a little better about taking precision shots of necessary.

Good luck with your new sights.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

For most folks, I would guess, if the XS Big Dot sight doesn't work..... looks like a telescope will be the next stop! ( O.K., so I exaggerated a LITTLE!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have been won over by XS Big Dots. Both my wife and my SP101 have them. I had an LCR that I had with the same sights. I don't experience any problem up to 40 feet. I practice on metal targets and I hit 'em the same at 40' as I do at 20'. Once you understand where the center of the dot needs to go to get on target, you just do that with each shot. Both my wife and my SP101 have the same sight line up with the XS so we can swap with no issues.

I definitely need a larger front sight and I'm not a match shooter so I guess it is the Big Dot. However I haven't seen what they look like in the dark. If that big white was all illuminated, no further questions. But I simply don't know. Also, I need them installed, who to look for?

I have and very much enjoy the big dots on my edc weapons. They are AMAZING at what they are designed for... Great sight picture and fast acquisition in a SD weapon. Good luck with them and practice those precision shots lol
    Semper Fi

I have the big dots on my G27 and like them for my old eyes.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

XS Big Dot Sights...

Love my big dots!
    For a carry gun, it's a no brainer (IMHO).
    XD9 sc

No issues with any of my holsters, either. They're not THAT much taller than the stock front sight

Links