A training dilemma- which gun to take

This is a discussion on A training dilemma- which gun to take within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rhcmlc I want a good looking weapon as well. Ya know...I gotta agree with the folks that say "take the Sig because ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: A training dilemma- which gun to take

Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    I want a good looking weapon as well.
    Ya know...I gotta agree with the folks that say "take the Sig because it's your EDC"...

on the other hand...based on my life experiences...I've had several "bad guys" attempt to mess with me, but when they saw how "pretty" my weapon was (my weapon is "pretty" because she's a lady), they basically just shook their heads and decided they didn't want to upset my gal....Now, since yours is gonna be "good looking", I guess the BG's might challenge it, because good looking seems to apply to a male weapon...

Enjoy your class Sir!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    If I were you I would take the weapon I carry and plan on using it, but also take the 1911 in case you have a failure or issue with the Sig that isn't a quick fix. I always take a spare gun to training just in case the unexpected happens. Some schools/trainers have a spare gun for just this instance, but I would rather use my own. This keeps you from missing out on an expensive class if a weapon goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    If I were you I would take the weapon I carry and plan on using it, but also take the 1911 in case you have a failure or issue with the Sig that isn't a quick fix. I always take a spare gun to training just in case the unexpected happens. Some schools/trainers have a spare gun for just this instance, but I would rather use my own. This keeps you from missing out on an expensive class if a weapon goes down.
    I think this is the winning answer, especially if you're travelling some distance from home. At worst, you may have to invest in some additional ammo, but you know you're going to use that sooner or later.

BTW, my minimum suggested magazine complement for any carry gun is four, since with hard use one will inevitably go down. I know mags aren't cheap, but the reality is that they are ultimately a 'consumable' - they'll wear out eventually if you're a serious shooter. In light of your upcoming class, I'd invest in a couple more mags for each gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    take the sig, congrads on the new 1911
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

VIP Member
    I agree with taking the Sig. It's what you carry, so train it. The only way I'd recommend the 1911 is if you were going to be doing extensive shooting drills, then for comfort reasons I'd say the 1911.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I would have responded sooner, but I was busy over on Glock Talk when the thread began.
    Did you recommend the Sig over there?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Contrary opinion....

I'm going to go against the majority here and recommend that you take the Kimber .45 as your main weapon to the training course, but take the P238 along as a backup in case the Kimber goes down unexpectedly. The reasons for my position are:

1. You have only carried the P238 for a year, and if you follow the usual pattern you will change your every day carry several times in the future. You might even switch to a 1911 at some point.

2. The 1911 is very similar to the P238 in single action trigger and thumb safety, so what you learn that is specific to a 1911 will also apply to a P238.

3. Since you are using the 1911 for home defense, any training on the 1911 is a very good thing.

4. It will be more comfortable to do extended shooting with a large 1911 than the small, lightweight P238.

5. You said in your posting that you really enjoy shooting the 1911, and you want to enjoy your class.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I'm going to go against the majority here and recommend that you take the Kimber .45 as your main weapon to the training course, but take the P238 along as a backup in case the Kimber goes down unexpectedly. The reasons for my position are:

1. You have only carried the P238 for a year, and if you follow the usual pattern you will change your every day carry several times in the future. You might even switch to a 1911 at some point.

2. The 1911 is very similar to the P238 in single action trigger and thumb safety, so what you learn that is specific to a 1911 will also apply to a P238.

3. Since you are using the 1911 for home defense, any training on the 1911 is a very good thing.

4. It will be more comfortable to do extended shooting with a large 1911 than the small, lightweight P238.

5. You said in your posting that you really enjoy shooting the 1911, and you want to enjoy your class.
    While I understand what you are saying, I must respectfully disagree.

In my opinion, the "enjoyment" one gets from training is in the mastery of new skills and the acquisition of new knowledge. The skills being taught in this class, as described, seems more geared toward a carry piece. Any student is far more likely to find failure points in his/her gear if it is actually used, and used HARD.

It is true that the little Sig may not be much "fun" by the end of the day, but he will know far more about its capabilities at the end of that class than he did going in to it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Did you recommend the Sig over there?
    No, I was just gathering material for my act. "Hey, did you hear the one about the guy who tried to run an ugly little mouse gun through a fighting course?"
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

VIP Member
    Mike,

Wouldn't you agree that ANY gun is a FIGHTING gun if that is gun you have with you?

Maybe it's a class like this that makes some folks realize the benefits of a larger fiream.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Tough decision- you're already more familiar with the Sig, but on the other hand, it IS a training class; wouldn't it make more sense to get training on the 'unfamiliar' weapon?

Personally, I would take the 1911 and plan on using that. Take the Sig as a backup ('if it's mechanical, it WILL break. You just don't know when'). In a situation like this, I would plan to use the weapon I'm less familiar with- to improve familiarity, to learn to use it in a 'stressful' situation, and to help teach you how to improvise with an unfamiliar weapon.

Just my take on the matter, go with what makes the most sense to you.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    No, I was just gathering material for my act. "Hey, did you hear the one about the guy who tried to run an ugly little mouse gun through a fighting course?"
    I ran a LCP through a low light pistol class last year - and out-shot everyone else there. It's the person behind the gun that counts.

OP - Take both, but run your EDC.
    RoadRunner71 and Rhcmlc like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

After a class with a small .380 like the Sig I think it will convince you that they are not quite a great choice as a primary weapon and you will quickly find out your 1911 would be a much better option. Bring them both I bet you quickly Change over. Buy a couple of good magazines (Wilson combats or chip mc cormick etc. Because a 1911 is only as good as its mags. Note this is only my opinion....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I ran a LCP through a low light pistol class last year - and out-shot everyone else there. It's the person behind the gun that counts.
    Which mouse was the other guy carrying? (I'm sorry, but you guys keep feeding me straight lines)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Mike,

Wouldn't you agree that ANY gun is a FIGHTING gun if that is gun you have with you?

Maybe it's a class like this that makes some folks realize the benefits of a larger fiream.
    I'm particular about the guns I have with me, so the short answer to your question is yes. Your second assertion is certainly true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links