A training dilemma- which gun to take

This is a discussion on A training dilemma- which gun to take within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 Which mouse was the other guy carrying? (I'm sorry, but you guys keep feeding me straight lines) Actually, every one else ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 37 of 37
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: A training dilemma- which gun to take

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Which mouse was the other guy carrying? (I'm sorry, but you guys keep feeding me straight lines)
    Actually, every one else at the class was carrying a "fighting pistol" (a term which makes me laugh, but that is a topic for another day).

    I got a lot of practice doing mag changes...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    I'm torn on this topic as you say that you can't shoot both guns at the training class.. are you 100% sure about this? My training i've been able to shoot whatever handguns I brought. my EDC and my BUG. I say try to shoot both at the class.

    1.) use your EDC for the parts that are most like outside the home shooting drills. (at distances, moving, laying down, etc)

    2.) use the 1911 for room clearing/defensive positions in a closed environment
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array joker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,058
    Train with your EDC (even if it isn't a GLOCK 19)! It is what will most likely be on hand when you have to use the training.
    NRA Life Member


    With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

  5. #34
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,171
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Actually, every one else at the class was carrying a "fighting pistol" (a term which makes me laugh, but that is a topic for another day).

    I got a lot of practice doing mag changes...
    Humor switch off now. How many rounds did you put through it during that course?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  6. #35
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Humor switch off now. How many rounds did you put through it during that course?
    Half day class - probably about 300 rounds. Considering how many folks complain that they cannot bear to shoot more than 50 rounds through the LCP in a given range session, that seems pretty good to me...

    One student had a pistol go down hard - a 1911. I won't mention the brand. Don't need to derail the OP's thread further.

    Bottom line is that the OP should take the pistol he actually carries (IMHO) and train with it. To say that he can't get good training while using a "mousegun" is just not true. I believe a certain trainer that you respect wrote about an airline pilot who took one of his courses with a PM9, because that was what he carried while in the cockpit. On this - I agree with him.
    Rhcmlc likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

  7. #36
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,171
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Half day class - probably about 300 rounds. Considering how many folks complain that they cannot bear to shoot more than 50 rounds through the LCP in a given range session, that seems pretty good to me...

    One student had a pistol go down hard - a 1911. I won't mention the brand. Don't need to derail the OP's thread further.

    Bottom line is that the OP should take the pistol he actually carries (IMHO) and train with it. To say that he can't get good training while using a "mousegun" is just not true. I believe a certain trainer that you respect wrote about an airline pilot who took one of his courses with a PM9, because that was what he carried while in the cockpit. On this - I agree with him.
    You won't hear me badmouthing the PM9. I used to carry one for a back-up, but wound up trading it. Kahr gives instructors a very nice discount on many of their products.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  8. #37
    Senior Member Array Mattmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ar
    Posts
    1,012

    Re: A training dilemma- which gun to take

    Your carry gum needs to be what you train with. I would switch my carry gun to my 1911 though!!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

beretta airline pilot discount
,
competencies of isoroku yamamoto
,

dilemma of guns

,
glock airline pilot discount
,
need training to buy a rifle
Click on a term to search for related topics.