Can of Worms: Glock 22 or Beretta 92

This is a discussion on Can of Worms: Glock 22 or Beretta 92 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry Bersa .380 cc or J-frame S & W snub. Ready to step up. Glock 22 or Beretta 92. Obviously, bigger guns are harder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I carry Bersa .380 cc or J-frame S & W snub.

Ready to step up. Glock 22 or Beretta 92.

Obviously, bigger guns are harder to conceal, I got that.

Forum's thoughts and opinion greatly appreciated.

I have the Glock 23, and wouldn't trade it for a Beretta. Berettas are nice pistols, but the Glock is totally reliable; of course, the Glock is UGLY, but it does its job superbly!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Both are very good guns, but what made you decide on only those two?
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

VIP Member
    The grips are different on each gun. Also the generation of Glock 22 would also make a difference. Is it possible to shoot them before you buy? This would be the best scenario. I have owned both and they both have good and bad points. If I had to pick one it would be a non-finger grooved grip G22. It pointed better for me and felt better in my hand.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

price and military/LE preference. Most of the preferred .45 weps are sky high.

Other suggestions?

I'd go with the Beretta. I carry a Beretta Px4 and it's never had a FTE or FTF. Neither has my Tomcat. Or any of the M9's I ever shot.

On that note, I think Glocks are a fine handgun, but if it came down to personal preference, I feel that the Beretta's have a better grip (a little less like a 2x4) and I prefer a hammer/SA trigger pull.

I've got a Beretta 92 that I carry occasionally. The newer (also smaller and lighter!) Beretta Px4 would be a much better carry pistol in my opinion. I'd likely pick the Px4 in .40 over a Glock 22.

Let us know what you pick and how it works out.

I would go glock 17. I understand you want a longer gun....but 22 is looooonnnngggggg. Unless you use it for strict target you may not get that much carry use out of it. I had a 17 that I loved....very accurate. Went down to a 19....lost a little bit of accuracy, but a better fit for ME. Handle em' if you can and see what feels good in the hand/on the body. Good Luck!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

VIP Member
    I've said this on other threads....the only Glock that interests me are engraved with the words "10MM AUTO" on the side...so, I vote Beretta....if you want to shave some of the size and weight, find yourself a nice Beretta 92F or 96F Compact (13 shot 9mm or 10 shot .40 S&W, respectively) or 92F Compact Type M (8 shot 9mm)....or I'd do Jimmy's suggestion and get a Px4.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    Nothing wrong with either. Find which gun fits your hand best. BTW, there are many other good guns just as reliable. PD/LE issue does not a mean it is the best, just the lowest bidder.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a glock 22 and a beretta PX4. I carry the glock more than the beretta because I prefer the manual of arms and grip angle of the glock compared to the beretta.

Find out what manual of arms you prefer (and grip angle) and choose based on those criteria. I have found both guns to be reliable. To you, it is what you can shoot more effectively and efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    ....the only Glock that interests me are engraved with the words "10MM AUTO" on the side...so, I vote Beretta....

I have the same problem with Glocks, except that it says "18" on the side rather than 10MM.

Damn those NFA regs.

I would vote for the G22. I have shot several other brands, Beretta, Colt, S&W (Rev & Pistol) and wouldn't trade my Glock for any other.

They are simple to operate. Squeeze the trigger and it fires. No manual safeties to have to remember. Draw, point, squeeze the trigger, it goes bang. Every time.

They are reliable. I have shot literally thousands of rounds through the Glock 17, 19, and 22. I have NEVER had a failure to feed, failure to fire, double feed, stove pipe, etc. NEVER.

For me, the Glock feels better in my hand, and points better and more naturally. This is crucial for "flash sight picture" shooting.

Most importantly, if you can, try out a few different pistols, shoot them iif you can, at least hold and handle them. I swear by Glocks, others by Colt, Beretta, Sig, etc. Buy the one that is most comfortable for you and most importantly which you are most comfortable with.

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

My vote is for the 92FS

I have a 92FS and I would not trade it for anything...it is reliable AND looks good Seriously though, pick up both guns and see which fits your hand better. The Glock never did feel right in my hands.

A possible option for compact and reliable and steel or polymer in both 9mm as well as .40 would be the CZ RAMI 2075.

Link http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=48

I have the RAMI in polymer in 9mm, after swearing never to go "tupperware"..8-)

Solid reliability for me and the CZ range are highly regarded generally.

As an example, their P-01 9mm is the only NATO classified and accepted pistol out there.
    Serious torture testing including a 4+ foot drop onto concrete 54 times with the weapon loaded and cocked and a 10 foot drop the same with zero failures (stuff goes BANG). For laughs apparently the lab continued another 352 times before getting tired....8-)

The 9mm RAMI has both 10 and 14 round mags available, the .40 has the 8 round mag.

I have shot the .40 and like any smaller pistol in a big load you have a bit more hand bite. Fully controllable but, you want more power in a smaller frame there are always trade offs.

The weapon is DA/SA so any concerns about DAO style weapons like the Glock are covered.

The pistol can be carried cocked and locked if that's your thing although for me the extra 2-3 pounds pressure on the first squeeze isn't an issue.

Hand geometry for ME was better than the Glocks I was looking at, G26 for example.

At the end of the day it all comes down to what your comfortable with but if you get a chance to handle the CZ range you may be pleasantly suprised.
    As one of my old sergeants used to say. "WE do not play at spray and play.......Do we.... Sir....."

Remember children, when we have removed the pin from Mr Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links