Taurus P111 45

This is a discussion on Taurus P111 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here have any experience with this gun? It has features that I like: - Safety - Lighter than the 9mm of same design ...

Thread: Taurus P111 45

Taurus P111 45

Does anyone here have any experience with this gun?

It has features that I like:

- Safety
    - Lighter than the 9mm of same design
    - DA trigger with very light pull
    - Reasonable price

I wish it had a DA/SA trigger, but I hear that's coming.

I really like a HK with DA/SA and safety, but the initial trigger pull is hard as hell and it's almost $800.

Any insight is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Talking duh

PT111 is a 9mm, PT145 is the 45.

find out which one it is and we can and maybe give you our opinions.

steve

Alright, then, both.

I wrote 111 down on paper when I was looking at the 9 on a previous store visit, then looked at the 45 the next time in and didn't know it was a different model number.

The are remarkably similar in all respects, so opinions on either would suite me. The 45 is slightly lighter due to the barrel's thickness.

I purchased the 111 in Aug. I'm very happy with it for the price. Great size/weight. Nice mag capacity. No failures (except for the one I'll mention later.)

I was surpised how hard she was to shoot accurately though. The trigger pull is very hard to get used to. After having shot some other manufactures now I do plan on moving up.

After about 1000 rounds the slide jammed back. My gunsmith was able to force it back to eject the cartridge but it no longer slid smoothly. I sent is back to Taurus and they repaired it for free, including shipping. It looks like the replaced some of the pins that hold the ejector pin in place.

So not happy that it broke this soon but very happy I've had no FTE, FTF or other problems. She only cost $300 and was repaired for free.

Just kidding

I have owned the pt111 old version and the PT145 mil pro DAO. I love the 45. Did not care for the old pt111. The triggers sucked. You will like the newer ones in SA/DA mode.

steve

Where did you find the new Pro 45? I'm in Dallas and the nearest/biggest store (Bullet Trap) doesn't have them.

I carry the PT-145. It has 520 rounds thru it,with no failers. the new gen. with there new trigger sounds like a great weapon.
    p.s. I do not run +Ps in it. That might be why I have had no problems

When you refer to the "new" 111's how new are you talking about? I purchased Mine in August.

For AceRider

AceRider you can check with

Sportsmans Warehouse
    723 Hebron Parkway
    Lewisville, TX 75057
    Telephone
    (214)488-2700

I bought a PT145 Pro their eariler in the year

The original Pt111 that came out in 2000 didn't have the hammer lock with key option and had a trigger pull between 11 and 18 pounds, very gritty and very long. I think that if you bought it within the last 2 years they have a better trigger.

Looking forward to your report after you try it out. I got a P140 (.40 caliber) myself and am awaiting the CA 10-day waiting period on it. Am considering the .45 option in the P145 also.

I took my new Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 to my usual indoor range today. Mine is the newest version that is advertised on the Taurus website as having a DA/SA trigger. In reality, it is always in SA mode unless there is a failure to fire, in which case the pistol's trigger goes into DA mode for a second (or third, etc.) strike on the same round. If the 'problem' round is ejected, the pistol resumes SA mode.

I do NOT ordinarily shoot factory ammunition at the range and today was no exception. I took a quantity of 3 different recipes from my personal handloads - 1. 200 grain LSWC bullet w/ 4.0 grains of Bullseye and a Federal primer, 2. 200 grain plated SWC bullet w/ 4.5 grains of Bullseye and a Federal primer & 3. 230 grain plated RN bullet w/ 5.0 grain of Bullseye and a Federal primer.

Out of a grand total of 150 rounds, the PT145 experienced 3 failures to feed. These all three occurred with recipe #2, above. This is not unusual since many of my guns are finicky about feeding the 200 grain SWC bullet profile. It is often necessary to adjust the COAL to the individual gun.

At 10 yards, I found that all rounds shot somewhat low (between 1.5 - 3 inches), but pretty good regarding windage. Since it is basically accepted that heavier bullets shoot higher, it surprised me a little that recipe #1 shot closest to POA followed by #2 and then #3. As time permits, I will experiment with other bullet/powder combinations and try to improve upon these results. Nevertheless, I was satisfied with this level of accuracy for a handgun designed for personal protection.

At $310 plus tax, I think these guns are a pretty good value.

Here's mine:
    ONE NATION UNDER GOD

Lead Moderator
    I owned a PT140. It KB'ed on me, cracked the frame on both sides, sent plastic bits flying everywhere. A few ended up stuck in me. Luckily no major damage.
    Taurus fixed it for the cost of shipping, but no reason, apology or concern for my well being was ever included. Also, before the KB , the safety would fail to disengage occasionally.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links