Defensive Carry banner

My new "beater gun"

4K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  XD 45 
#1 ·
I guess that is what you would call a pistol that you want for personal defense that you don't mind dropping and getting dirty. I do a lot of mountain biking and trail running and wanted to get a pistol that was durable, reliable and I didn't have to pay a lot for since it will get banged around. I bought a Sig Sauer SP2022 in 9mm. I also bought a 5.11 holster that attaches to the molle straps on my hydro-pack so it will be within quick reach if I come across some coyotes or mountain lions.

I was trying to look at what else would make a good beater gun, but I couldn't think of anything else. What have some of you chosen for this type of task?

#2 ·
The Sig was a good pick. It won't let you down. I shot my buddy's 2022 in 40, and I love the trigger. To me, the gun had a very p229-ish feel to it. Very accurate, the trigger has great feel. We put a ton of rounds through his with no issues. Congrats on the new piece.

#3 ·
Look for the Star Model B thread in Defensive Guns. While I don't have one personally, for a $300 1911 style 9mm, pretty sure you could beat that thing up all day and not loose any sleep over it.

#4 ·
For trail running, I would think a lighter weapon might be in order?

#14 ·
...the finish of the Sigs to be more durable.
I've seen the GLOCK tenifer finish (whatever that really is) look ratty-worn, but rust still never shows-up. And I though the very definition of a "beater" was a well-enjoyed patina. I bought my first GLOCK (a G19) specifically as a beater. Little did I know at the time that it would become a trusted favorite. Let us know how your Sig 2022 works out.

#18 ·
Any of my Glocks would fit that category. No matter how scratched up they get, I still clean them like they are safe queens. But I put them to hard use.

#21 ·
A "beater" gun? In my opinion that's an absolutely idiotic term... According to YOUR specifications, you want a gun that will perform under duress, that you can rely on to save your life when you need it.......As others have already pointed out, the Glock is a "go to" gun for ALL conditions. Rain or shine, mud or dust, it's there for ya...That's why I run with my Glock 19 or Glock 26...JMO

#23 ·
Any firearm you carry on a regular basis is going to get banged up..... There's nothing wrong with that.....that's what they're made for. Also, any carry gun that can't take getting banged up, dirty, scratched, dropped and generally abused is unworthy being a carry firearm. They have to work under ANY circumstances. I really don't draw a distinction between beaters and others. Sure, I probably wouldn't carry my Colt Single Action Army in 45 Colt.......but if I did, I'm sure it would perform flawlessly. Carry what you trust, take good care of it.....but don't baby it!

#24 ·
Found a police trade in S&W 410 that works just like my carry gun even fits same holsters. It is what I practice with and can keep in the car and not worry if it gets beat up and keep my Beretta PX4 safe.

#26 ·
I'd really like to shoot one of those Bersas. They seem like good guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.