1st CCW gun, cross platforms from revolver to auto?

This is a discussion on 1st CCW gun, cross platforms from revolver to auto? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a Ruger SP101 for the exact same reasons you got the GP100. I believe the trigger is similar to the GP100. (Never ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1st CCW gun, cross platforms from revolver to auto?

I picked up a Ruger SP101 for the exact same reasons you got the GP100. I believe the trigger is similar to the GP100. (Never fired one, so not certain.)

I opted for the Shield because 9mm is still cheaper than .38/.357 and I wanted to practice a lot and it is readily available. We just picked up a Ruger LCR .357 for my wife and the trigger is amazing, and will put your GP100 trigger to shame. .38's out of it are nice...the .357 not so much. I love the Shield so that's my recommendation and it's much easier to keep a spare magazine than have to worry about a speed loader.

However, a 9mm version of the XDs would be extremely high on my list, and I'd consider replacing my Shield then..

2. Remove Ads

Cool

I like revolvers and semi-autos and so I carry both, sometimes at the same time.

Try several models of each and decide for yourself.

Handguns for me are very addictive.

Image 1.jpg S&W Model 60
    click image to enlarge....
    photo.jpg Ruger SP -101
    photo.jpg Browning Hi-Power
    photo.jpg Glock 23

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The only questions you're asking are those that have been argued here from day one.

Small capacity, big caliber. High capacity, low caliber.

Quick answer: You are not limited to making a choice. Get them all. Get that .357 snubbie and get the hi-cap 9mm. Try them both and see what you think.
    what he/she said is the best advice
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    My personal opinion,
    I would buy an auto. More concealable, quicker reloads, easier reloads, and a 357 magnum in a snub nose is not fun to shoot and not good for quick follow ups. My .02!

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    I would agree with this. I just changed from a S&W .357 to my first auto, a Glock 19. I changed for all the reasons listed here.

I would get the lcr or sp101 357. Then later get a semi auto range gun.

Well you shot your revolver and the shield, did you find either format more to your liking? Do you feel more confident with either one? I as well as many others here will carry either type depending on needs or mood. I often carry a snubbie and have a fondness for them and have had so for many years. Unfortunately I also have a fondness for nice semi's and have been known to carry them at times? If you want more variety grab the Shield, if you want more continuity grab a nice snubbie. It's all good and all boils down to personal choice in the end. Flip a coin, you will end up with trying the other one eventually anyways.

Also, not to mention "choice" is really just a temporary situation. Since you're already posting here and listening to us, you'll likely own both sooner than later. (I had 1 firearm at the start of this year, and I'm up to 8 now and I still have three more specifically that I "need"!)

As far as platforms go, it can be very easy to move from revolvers to semi-autos IF you keep the following in mind:

Select a semi-auto without a safety, decocking lever, or anything other than trigger or magazine disconnects. Since a revolver is so simple, and you basically just aim and pull the trigger, try to find a semi with the same functionality.

I'd suggest a Glock, or a Bersa BP series. I own both, and both are free of any levers/switches/external switches or safeties. You simply load the magazine, rack the slide, and you basically have an auto-loading revolver.

I have been shooting for 20+ years, and have semi-autos that have safeties and decocking levers, but those are exclusively range guns. For concealed carry, I usually select weapons that are revolvers, DAO semi-autos, or semi autos that are free of levers/switches. I have trained myself to keep it simple, and think for most people just getting into CCW, that is a good policy.

Now my all-time favorite CCW is a 3rd Gen S&W, the 3913 and a beater 908: single-stack 9mm, all metal, and these models do have external safeties, but I have trained with them and feel as comfortable carrying them as I do the Glock and Bersa.

Keep it simple. The last thing you want to do is draw your weapon in a life or death situation, pull the trigger, and then remember you have a safety lever that you forgot about!

I'd say that's a Ford or Chevy kind of question. What feels good in your hands? what are more accurate with? how do you intend to dress and carry, whats the climate like? How often are you willing to go practice? I'm partial to revolvers for CCW, for numerous reasons, (reloads with a good speed loader and practice are in par with reloading a semi auto, capacity is another consideration... defending the Alamo are we? the GP 100 is a fairly heavy gun... so comfort and the ability to CONCEAL it on your person Many people have a multitude of firearms they carry depending on personal circumstances, summer carry, winter carry, drive through the country carry or I broke down in the hood carry. .357 if you're a new shooter is a hot load, between being newer to handguns, and a 2" barrel it may take some time to get accustom to that how accurate can you do follow up shots with full house magnums not to mention pricey .38 special +P is a good round in it's modern form, you can shoot 38 from a 357. Unless you know how to check out a used revolver (timing, bore condition, head space etc) or know a competent gunsmith be cautious with Pawn shops regardless if the clerk says "never fired only dropped once." I had a pawn shop retard point a firearm at me handing it to me without brass checking it, needless to say I came unglued.
    As I said, Ford or Chevy? Hope this helps.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    For defensive carry, I like the semi-autos for their larger capacity and easy reload. For fun I have both revolvers and semi-autos.

Why not get both? The shield is reasonably priced around $450, and you get get a nice used revolver for a few hundred bucks. You can never have to many guns, and a lot of people carry a back up weapon. Either one on its own would be just fine, but as most others have said on this forum, it all depends on which one you are most comfortable with and the only thing that really matters is, if you can hit what you are aim at with it in a defensive situation.

If you want my opinion, if its one or the other I would pick the Shield. You can get it in a 9mm or 40s&w and its quicker to reload, plus less edges on the gun to get caught on loose clothing or what not when drawing.

My first handgun was also a 4" GP 100. I bought a used S&W 638 (a j-frame sized revolver) as a first carry gun, and figured that would be best, as I knew revolvers better. While I still carry the j-frame, I rather quickly bought a service-size M&P 9mm and use it more regularly for carry, as it is much easier for me to shoot accurately and follow up quickly than with the j-frame, due to better recoil handling properties and a shorter, lighter trigger pull. YMMV, and good luck. You will get good advice from everyone here, but in the end it's up to you.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

I appreciate the opinions everyone, havent been on in awhile(All this chemistry eats my up my time!). I have been fortunate enough to shoot a few of the guns I was interested in. Glock in 9mm SC, C, S, the 40 in C, 45 in S, most of the S&W M&P 9mm line, well just the standard, compact and shield, some colt 1911's, taurus 92FS knock off, LC9, Xd 9mm. Havent got to shoot any snub nosed revolvers yet, I bought a lesson from an NRA instructor and he said I shot great and didnt have too much to say. I would have to say of the guns I shot I liked the M&P9C and shield the best, just pure fun. I imagine by the time I get my permit and can afford a new gun I will try to snag a shield but keep a close eye on a snubbie!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links