Glock 36

This is a discussion on Glock 36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shot my G36 today. I used speer 165 gr .45 ACP. This gun is a pleasure to shoot. I am also very pleased with ...

Thread: Glock 36

Glock 36

I shot my G36 today. I used speer 165 gr .45 ACP. This gun is a pleasure to shoot. I am also very pleased with how comfortable this gun is to carry. The slim line allows for easy carry IWB at 4 o'clock. I am now switching from my G27 to my G36 for daily carry. I gave up a little capacity, but I feel secure with 6+1 in the gun and two 6 round mags in my back pocket. The single stack mags are more comfortable to carry than the double stack.

I am extremely pleased all around with this gun and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an easy to conceal powerful weapon.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

It's always great to hear from someone who's happy with their carry gun...glad you like it so well.

G36 fills a specific market niche

There is a significant niche in the handgun market for a small, concealable .45 semiauto with thin profile and single stack magazine for concealed carry purposes. Many CCW people like the caliber but don't want to carry a large, heavy gun like the traditional steel 1911.

I think Kimber first exploited this market niche with their "Ultra" models with 3 inch barrel and aluminum frame, and these have sold very well. Other entrants included the Sig P245, the Colt Defender and the Springfield micro. I recall when Glock jumped into this business with the G36 a few years ago, the first single stack Glock. I think the G36 has done quite well in sales.

Administrator

The G36

I never was a GLOCK Fanatic AKA somebody that went Ga-Ga over every make & model of Glock pistol.
    Mostly because I'm not super crazy about the DA Only format for primary carry.
    My all time favorite carry guns are the Colt Combat Commander & the SIG p220.

The Glock 36 was the only model of Glocker Pistola that I saw a real, distinct advantage to as an ultra reliable VERY light weight and more compact carry of my "carry caliber of choice" which would be .45acp.

So....I went out and bought one and (in my humble opinion) it's a super ideal specialized "discreet carry" firearm.

Some shooters have stated that it has reliability issues but, that has never been the case with mine which has gone uncounted numbers of rounds without ever burping.
    I can't even intentionally get mine to jam for practice drills. It just eats them all right up.

The G36 needs an extra firm grip on the pistol to maximize the available slide return energy.

Expensive Suggestion:
    If you REALLY LIKE your Glock 36 then you should seriously consider spending half again as much as the cost of the pistol and equip it with a Laser Max internal laser unit.
    Yes, the Laser Max is expensive but, what a "match made in heaven" to create an ultra-compact large bore pin-point accurate self~defensive "Rule The Night" handgun.

Just buy one - pop it in and don't look back at the $$$ spent.

I am really pleased with mine as I really wanted a slim, light, compact, dependable defensive firearm (in .45) that I could take guaranteed SHTF lightning fast low-light "possible hostage scenario" head shots with.

I would not suggest that anybody buy the G36 if they are looking for a versatile "Take It To The Range And Target Shoot Punch Paper With It All Damn Day & Then Pack It" pistol.
    There are many other guns with more comfortable "grip surface" that are more suited as multi-use target/defense "shooting range" firearms.

There are not too many .45s "out there" that can just be popped into the back pocket of a pair of bluejeans...as an instantly "ready to go" walk the dog pistol.
    If you have reservations about "pocket carrying" a Glock then buy a little plastic Safe-T-Block to slip in behind the trigger & go for it.

The G36 is NOT for everybody and potential shooters should try one before they buy one as they honestly do not "hand fit" every shooter.

Whoops! I really got carried away here this morning.

In short...great choice of pistol. "yup:

The neat thing about the G36 is it has a low center of gravity and the recoil is straight back. It seems the mini 1911s have a pretty big muzzle flip. I carry 200gr.+p in it and it's a lot of fun to shoot.
    ...one jagged hole!

Glad you like the G36. I'm still trying to decide on which Glock I might want and the only thing lacking (for my tastes) in the G36 is the availability of higher capacity mags - not for use as the primary carry mag so much as an 8 or 10 round spare. For what I'm looking for in my next gun, that'd really make the G36 an attractive option. If any of you know of mags like that (preferrably Glock manufactured), please speak up!
    Jack

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by exit42 View Post
    The neat thing about the G36 is it has a low center of gravity and the recoil is straight back. It seems the mini 1911s have a pretty big muzzle flip. I carry 200gr.+p in it and it's a lot of fun to shoot.
    That's my impression as well. As QK mentioned, I have heard about reliability problems with the G36, but I don't recall what they were or if it was even a common problem - it may very well have been some start up issues or a batch issue that may have been cleared up.

VIP Member
    I've heard the same as Tangle...I think the issues are pretty well discussed (and known) over on Glock Talk, but I personally don't know what they are....just "reliability issues/concerns." Still, a lot of guns out there have their lemons. I think my lightweight, polymer-framed, compact .45 ACP desires have been well met by my Kahr P45....which has some minor issues itself (that will get addressed by Kahr).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I Have Mentioned...

on several other threads that I have always loved my Kimbers, but lately, I have had my Glock-36 with me more and more. Very nice carry weapon, and very easy to conceal...SOB or IWB(strong), hardly know if it's there.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I gave my son in law whose a Narcotics Officer with a Police Department in West Texas, a Glock 36 last Christmas. He carries it daily and switches to his Glock 21 for raids, violent offender warrart service, etc.. Great little guns.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

I've got a 3" Springfield Loaded Mirco Compact but (because I like my GLOCK G19 so much) I may buy & carry a G36 for CCW. Only mod would be Pearce +1 mag extensions. It increases the G36 mag capacity to 7 rounds & is just long enough to give your pinky finger something to grab. The slim, single-stack mag design of the G36 feels much less "blocky" than the double-stack style of the other GLOCK compact .45 acp, the G30. Rumor is that GLOCK will soon offer a longer slide/barrel configuration based on the G36 for just that reason. People more accustomed to a thinner grip should find this upcoming model more comfortable.

Agree with QKshooter

I have to agree with QKshooter. I carry my G36 at the 4 o'clock position with a clip-draw and safe-t-block and love it. Due to my line of work I can't put on a holster every morning and carry throughout the day so, I need a carry method/gun that allows me to easily slide a gun inside the waistband and go without having to take a holster off and on 4-5 times a day. Several people have expressed to me concerns about the lack of something covering the trigger (ie.. holster) and the risk of AD's. I have to say that between the heavy trigger pull and the safe-t-block I feel comfortable. Never has the safe-t-block moved from it's position behind the trigger during carry. However, I can certainly understand others fears with this carry method and in a perfect world I would wear a IWB holster all day at work. It's nice to see an experienced shooter/concealed carry have positive things to say about this gun/method of carry.

Quote Originally Posted by scmed View Post
    I have to agree with QKshooter. I carry my G36 at the 4 o'clock position with a clip-draw and safe-t-block and love it. Due to my line of work I can't put on a holster every morning and carry throughout the day so, I need a carry method/gun that allows me to easily slide a gun inside the waistband and go without having to take a holster off and on 4-5 times a day. Several people have expressed to me concerns about the lack of something covering the trigger (ie.. holster) and the risk of AD's. I have to say that between the heavy trigger pull and the safe-t-block I feel comfortable. Never has the safe-t-block moved from it's position behind the trigger during carry. However, I can certainly understand others fears with this carry method and in a perfect world I would wear a IWB holster all day at work. It's nice to see an experienced shooter/concealed carry have positive things to say about this gun/method of carry.
    Agreed.... I carried w/o holster w/ safe t block for over a year until I recently picked up a sidearmor iwb which i love; but still certain clothing makes the holster a little less comfortable, so i throw the block back in and call it a day. I do holster now 99% of the time tho. I appreciate the smoother draw.
    Hk P2000, P30, P30L, Hk45C, USP Tac .45, USC, G36c
    Glock 19, 26, 38
    Sig P238, SP2022, P226 Blackwater Tacitcal,556
    Desert Eagle Mark I, Mossberg 500A, Benelli M4
    FN FS2000, Springfield SOCOM II
    Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun

Links