357 LCR questions...

357 LCR questions...

This is a discussion on 357 LCR questions... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any issues shooting just .38 out of them? I know it's a little heaver, but Is the 357 version the same size gun as the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357 LCR questions...

357 LCR questions...

Any issues shooting just .38 out of them? I know it's a little heaver, but Is the 357 version the same size gun as the .38? Thanks.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

357 LCR questions...

No problem. Any gun that is chambered for .357 mags will shoot .38 specials. Most shooters, myself included, shoot 38s mostly at the range, and save the full house 357s for SD and limited range duty.

VIP Member
    Can't give a technical answer, though I'm sure a definitive answer is soon forthcoming, but everyone says that the 357 chamber and barrel is the same as the 38 and that it's fine to shoot 38's out of a 357. The only problem is shooting 357's out of a 38 that isn't built to handle 357 pressure.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

.38 spl will shoot just fine out of a revolver chambered for .357 mag. but you may not want to get in the habit of shooting a lot of .38s then going with .357 mag without cleaning it first. .38s have a slightly shorter case length and best case scenario is that you may find it really hard to extract the .357s after shooting them and the casings have expanded. I would go with .357 first round then .38 spl after that if shooting both in the same session.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Ex Member
    I have the S&W version, 11 ounces in a 360PD. .357's in a ultra light is WAY beyond brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by ak74 View Post
    Any issues shooting just .38 out of them? I know it's a little heaver, but Is the 357 version the same size gun as the .38? Thanks.
    .38 spl and .38 spl +p is ok to shoot out of the .357 LCR. They are all the same size gun overall, whether chambered for .38 spl, .357 or .22 lr.

We fondled both at our LGS and there were negligible differences so we opted for the .357 for added capability.

The only noticable differences I saw was that it was that the .357 was a bit heavier (not much), looked a little different, due to additional material around the cylinder and that the cylinder release was a bit stiffer.

I also went with the .357 over the .38sp. Weight difference is only a few ounces, but the frame on the .357 variant is Stainless while the .38sp frame is aluminum. Just from a durability standpoint, I choose the .357. Ive shot only reloads out of mine. My .38sp are +p and my .357 are medium to upper of the loading range. There is a noticeable difference in felt recoil, but nothing to worry about.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    Good choice. I have 3000 rounds through my LCR357. 38+P are fun to shoot. Regular 38 special was boring. 357 was eye opening. Some 357 is brutal. Most of the designated self defense rounds are loaded with low flash powders and are not as violent to shoot. I carry mine every day as back up to my SP101.

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    I also went with the .357 over the .38sp. Weight difference is only a few ounces, but the frame on the .357 variant is Stainless while the .38sp frame is aluminum.
    There's your weight explanation. FYI, as for recoil, an LCR is MUCH more recoil-forgiving than a S&W J-frame.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    There's your weight explanation. FYI, as for recoil, an LCR is MUCH more recoil-forgiving than a S&W J-frame.
    There will be some in the cylinder as well. .357 will be a hair longer.

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    .357 will be a hair longer.
    I just measured the cylinder length on both of my LCRs and both measured 1.57"

Edit to add: I got curious and just went and measured the length on my LCR .22 cylinder and it was 1.56"
    Last edited by DocGlock; November 7th, 2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: add .22 info
    Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post

Edit to add: I got curious and just went and measured the length on my LCR .22 cylinder and it was 1.56"
    So would it possible then to fire a .357 out of the .38 version of the LCR, seeing as how they both use the same length cylinder? I know it wouldn't be a good idea because of the aluminum vs steel frame but in a pinch, would it be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post

I stand corrected.

Must be the chambers on the 38 cylinder are not machined as deep then.

Quote Originally Posted by ak74 View Post
    So would it possible then to fire a .357 out of the .38 version of the LCR, seeing as how they both use the same length cylinder? I know it wouldn't be a good idea because of the aluminum vs steel frame but in a pinch, would it be possible?
    The cylinders are also slightly different shapes. Not sure if this has anything to do with the higher pressures of the magnum round or not.

In any case, I would NEVER fire .357 out of a revolver rated for .38 spl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links