Help with suggestions for my wife's concealed carry...

This is a discussion on Help with suggestions for my wife's concealed carry... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my wife has the ruger sr9c...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with suggestions for my wife's concealed carry...

my wife has the ruger sr9c
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Proud owner of a G35. And yes I carry it concealed.

2. Remove Ads

My wife has a LC9 (as do I). She loves it especially with the pink cerakote.

Here is a pic of his and hers.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...21E29057CE.jpg

Money isn't the issue as far as purchasing the gun goes ($500-$700 preferably), because we're putting it on the Cabela's card and paying it off with taxes. So I know it sounds crazy but we can't afford to spend $60-80 at the range trying guns because they make you feed them their ammo. We just don't have the money.

So guns we're considering, and thanks for your suggestions as you will see them on the list...

Kahr CM9
    Kahr CW9
    Kahr P380

Smith M&P Shield
    Smith M&P 9c
    Smith Bodyguard

Ruger LC9
    Ruger LCP

Kel-Tec PF-9
    Kel-Tec P3-AT

Sig P-290rs
    Sig P-938
    Sig P-238

Walther PPS

HK P2000sk

Glock 26
    Glock 19

I'm not sure if someone else has suggested it but you may also want to have her look at the Bersa Thunder 380 since you have some other 380's on your list.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Two on your like I and my wife like, the Kahr CM9 and the Ruger LCP. Both would be fine choices IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I'll second the previous suggestion that she start with a revolver. An LCR, S&W, or even a Charter Arms would be a good choice.

If her heart's set on a semi-auto, the Kahr's you've listed would be good prospects, as would the M&P's. Most of the guns on your list are pretty good ones. For a novice shooter, though - Run, don't walk, away from a SAO (i.e. 1911-style). I love SIG's and I love 1911's, but the P-238 and P-938 are NOT good choices for a newbie.

Good luck with the hunt!

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    For a novice shooter, though - Run, don't walk, away from a SAO (i.e. 1911-style). I love SIG's and I love 1911's, but the P-238 and P-938 are NOT good choices for a newbie.
    I must respectfully disagree with this. My very first gun purchase (and first gun I shot) was the P238. I love this little gun. It does and has everything I wanted in a defensive carry pistol. While not for everyone, I think a P238 is a good choice, if the OP's wife likes the SAO, 1911 style (the trigger pull on the P238 is decidedly heavier than a traditional 1911). Either that, or I am too stubborn of a noob to accept I shouldn't own such a gun. Not a bad choice, just a different choice, and perhaps not the OP's wife's choice.

Back to the OP--I think your approach to helping your wife decide is a good one. All the options listed are fine choices. Being able to borrow the LC9 is a fantastic opportunity. I she likes it, she'll probably like any of the kahrs, keltecs, or the LC's. If she hates it, well then, she's narrowed down the list nicely. She knows what the M&P trigger is like, so anything in the M&P line would be in play. Then she just has to decide the caliber.

Another thought--you said you have a M&Pc, am I correct? It seems she's leaning toward a single-stack, but has she tried on your M&Pc to see if she can conceal it comfortably? I know those Shields are next to impossible to find, but she may find the M&Pc concealable, available, and a familiar platform for her.

Out of the ones you listed, either the Sig P938 or the Walther PPS would be an excellent choice. I have heard rumors of people who have experienced some issues with the P938 but I own two of them and both have been flawless. In my opinion the Sig P938 is a quality gun that I can trust. I have also heard rumors that the people who have experienced issues have received excellent service from Sig and have had the issue corrected.

Like my Sig P938s, my Walther PPS has also been flawless and is also a quality gun that I can trust.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post

Another thought--you said you have a M&Pc, am I correct? It seems she's leaning toward a single-stack, but has she tried on your M&Pc to see if she can conceal it comfortably? I know those Shields are next to impossible to find, but she may find the M&Pc concealable, available, and a familiar platform for her.
    You bring up a good point, in fact we were just discussing this last night. I have the M&P40c, so she's thinking about the M&P9c since she is familiar with the platform already. I would love to get her the Shield because I think she would wear it more comfortably but I think that will have to be later on down the road. For now I think the 9c with the small backstrap will fit her nicely.

Re: Help with suggestions for my wife's concealed carry...

See if Galco will send you one of their color catalogs. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say, and they have some nice pretties including purses and exotic materials.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    You bring up a good point, in fact we were just discussing this last night. I have the M&P40c, so she's thinking about the M&P9c since she is familiar with the platform already. I would love to get her the Shield because I think she would wear it more comfortably but I think that will have to be later on down the road. For now I think the 9c with the small backstrap will fit her nicely.
    I don't own, but have shot the M&P9c; it is a fine gun, and fits women's hands well. As winter is upon us in the frigid north, she shouldn't have too much problem concealing it with her winter wardrobe, either.

I'm going to buck the trend here and suggest a single action like the P238 will be MUCH better for a new shooter. It ismno harder to flip the safety down on a 238 than on aLC9. However, the 238 has an excellent trigger, great factory sights, it has enough weight to make recoil manageable, and it has many good holster and laser options available as well.

Any pistol is a lotneasier to operate than a car, and your wife peobably drivesneveryday while texting drinking(coffee) and fixing her make up. I have complete confidence she can manage a single action pistol. Especially if you guys get training. A romantic week end at Gunsight or Mag 40, romance at its best!

Plus the 238 comes with pink grips if you want:-)

Sent from my iPad

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links