Help with suggestions for my wife's concealed carry...

This is a discussion on Help with suggestions for my wife's concealed carry... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Like I said I need help with SUGGESTIONS for my wife's new pistol because ultimately it is HER decision. So with that said ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with suggestions for my wife's concealed carry...

Help with suggestions for my wife's concealed carry...

Hey guys,
    Like I said I need help with SUGGESTIONS for my wife's new pistol because ultimately it is HER decision. So with that said I would like to know what you guys think are some good choices for her to consider. She is very small and petite, she is looking for something for personal defense that she can wear on her belt all day around the house OWB and conceal easily IWB when she goes out. She's not opposed to revolvers but definitely leaning more toward semi auto's.

Some semi auto's she has took a liking to so far are, Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm (can't find one ANYWHERE), Ruger LC9, Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380, and Ruger LCP. She likes these choices based on how they feel in her hand and reviews that we've read, she has not shot any of them nor have I (money is tight can't afford to rent them). She has only shot my M&P 40c and an old Astra 600/43 9mm.

So please help us with some small pistol suggestions or revolver suggestions if you feel that's a better choice for her needs. Also any input on the pistols she has had her eye on?

Thanks everybody God bless.

2. Remove Ads

Make sure she can hold it, make sure she can shoot it, and make sure she can conceal it.

For me, the solution to those three was the LCP. Now that I've carried for a while I'm looking for a something a little bigger, but I think the LCP will always be my backup. I can wear it with pretty much anything and it's been 100% reliable. I can't speak to any of the other choices, other than, yes, if she decides Shield she'll be waiting a looong time.

Two great references for her below... good for her making the decision!! Tell her there's a buncha ladies here if she wants to join in the fun!!

Official Female Carry Reference Thread
    Falia Photography on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post

Two great references for her below... good for her making the decision!! Tell her there's a buncha ladies here if she wants to join in the fun!!

Official Female Carry Reference Thread
    Falia Photography on YouTube
    Good references, definitely a fan of Falia on YouTube thanks for your input on the LCP. Do you think it is a sufficient round for self defense? That's the only thing that scares me about it. God forbid she ever actually has to use any gun to protect herself but if she did I would want it to be a big enough round to do the job.

What did she think of the guns of yours that she shot? It's possible to dress around a bigger gun but takes more effort. My EDC is an XDsc but when I was gun shopping I loved how the M&P line felt in my hand and how well I shot with both of them!

I had an LC9 for awhile and LOVED the concealability of it but hated the long trigger pull. That may or may not be an issue for her. I finally ended up selling it. I haven't shot any of the others on your list. I actually considered the LCP and Bodyguard before buying the LC9.

In addition to the links lyz posted I really enjoy www.packingpretty.com as well.

Any S&W snub .38. I like the point-n-shoot when it comes to someone without a lot of shooting experience.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I do love my little Sig, but since you say money's tight, maybe consider a Bersa Thunder .380. It's much cheaper, but from what I understand, a pretty high quality gun, and quite concealable.

Other than that, all of those guns you listed are high-quality. It's VERY important that she shoot them, though. Worth forking out the money to rent them and try them. I went into the LGS thinking I knew what I wanted (a .38 snubbie), but found out that I hated them when I shot them. It's important to get something that she's going to want to practice a bit with. No use in having a gun she can't make a good shot with.
    BradL likes this.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Do you think it is a sufficient round for self defense? That's the only thing that scares me about it. God forbid she ever actually has to use any gun to protect herself but if she did I would want it to be a big enough round to do the job.
    Do you mean sufficient as a .380 or sufficient as a 6+1? I guess either way that's up to you and her to decide. Most people here say as big a round and as many rounds as you can carry. I chose the LCP because I knew that if I got something any bigger I would be too self-conscious to carry it, and a gun left at home wouldn't do me any good. The biggest thing is for her to be confident. She can always move up once she gets comfy with it

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    It's VERY important that she shoot them, though. Worth forking out the money to rent them and try them. I went into the LGS thinking I knew what I wanted (a .38 snubbie), but found out that I hated them when I shot them. It's important to get something that she's going to want to practice a bit with. No use in having a gun she can't make a good shot with.
    SECOND THIS. I was certain that I wanted my next gun to be a Sig and I wasn't even considering a Glock. When I got to the range and shot one of each I fell in love with the Glock and realized the Sig just wasn't for me. It's normally only $10 or $15 to rent, and most ranges will let you swap out multiple guns if they know you're shopping.
    LaraCroft10 and Foxy like this.

Regarding caliber size, you're going to find people are always split on that one. I say, no one wants to get shot with any sort of gun, so any caliber she's comfortable with is good enough, and better than nothing. I watched a youtube video where a guy addressed this, and he said he's been accidentally shot with a .22LR twice (once accidentally in his foot himself, and once a friend grazed him along his head) and he said the pain was blindingly awful. So with that in mind...I say go for the biggest she feels comfortable with. If the biggest she's comfortable with is a .22LR, then so be it, because it's better than a 0. :)

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Hey guys,
    I would like to know what you guys think are some good choices for her to consider. She is very small and petite, she is looking for something for personal defense that she can wear on her belt all day around the house OWB and conceal easily IWB when she goes out. She's not opposed to revolvers but definitely leaning more toward semi auto's.

Some semi auto's she has took a liking to so far are, Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm (can't find one ANYWHERE), Ruger LC9, Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380, and Ruger LCP. She likes these choices based on how they feel in her hand and reviews that we've read, she has not shot any of them nor have I (money is tight can't afford to rent them).
    I would not recommend investing in a gun that she's never shot, especially if money is tight. Trial and error is a very expensive way to find the right gun (ask me how I know!) Gun rentals are wise investment that will allow you to avoid unsuitable purchases.

I carry a Sig P238 (.380) as it was the most concealable, shootable, and easy to handle pistol I tried. I also carry a S&W 640 j-frame revolver (.357) that is very shootable and easy to handle, but not quite as concealable or comfortable to carry due to the weight and the thickness of the cylinder. Therefore, I don't carry it very often during the summer.

I got to take a 9 mm Shield for a spin at the range and it was also a nice shooter, although also somewhat thicker than my Sig.

Sig also makes the P938, which is a 9 mm that's nearly identical in size & configuration to the P238. I thought I'd love it as much as the P238, but so far, I don't. It's not as shootable, and it's been a bit finicky about ammo and not as reliable as I'd like. It is extremely concealable, though.

Hope that helps.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

My wife has shot all the pistols on your list and liked them well enough. However, her top 2 choices for carry are the Kimber Solo and Kahr P380, in that order. They're all small, conceal well and she shoots them well. She also likes my Kahr CM9, but it's not as pretty as her Solo with the purple dymondwood grips.

Re: Help with suggestions for my wife's concealed carry...

I don't know your wife so I won't try and guess.

Rent, borrow, etc and let her figure it out, she will tell you. Maybe she wants a .50 Desert Eagle when all is said and done.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    go to a local gun range on the weekend and ask others if your wife can shoot or at least handle the guns like thunder said better to try them and handle them before spending hard earned money.. Most of the people at the gun range are proud of there weapons and like to share....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    go to a local gun range on the weekend and ask others if your wife can shoot or at least handle the guns like thunder said better to try them and handle them before spending hard earned money.. Most of the people at the gun range are proud of there weapons and like to share....
    I don't want to derail the thread but... can you really do that? I don't know that I'd ever hand my gun to a stranger, even at a range. I'd be interested to see if other people typically swap like that, I had never thought about it.

.380 ammo is too expensive to share!

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I don't want to derail the thread but... can you really do that? I don't know that I'd ever hand my gun to a stranger, even at a range. I'd be interested to see if other people typically swap like that, I had never thought about it.
    Don't mean to hijack, but I had this happen to me once. A guy in the next lane was getting pummeled by the brass from my G23 (at least that's what he said). He was really interested in trying out my Glock, like he had never fired one before. I said OK and he let me put two magazines through his HK45 (the first and only time I've ever shot an HK).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links