Potential problem or just needs to be worked in?

This is a discussion on Potential problem or just needs to be worked in? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I just picked up a new pistol this week. It doesn't matter what kind it is, but I will tell you its a Sig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Potential problem or just needs to be worked in?

Ok, I just picked up a new pistol this week. It doesn't matter what kind it is, but I will tell you its a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm. I have not taken it out to shoot yet, but I did clean it from all the sticky grease they package them with and lubed it up. While I was handling it, I noticed something I have never noticed before on any pistol. If you press the front of the slide back about a quarter of an inch to do a brass check and lightly release, the slide will not go back into full battery. But if you press the rear of the slide just a bit it goes back into full battery.

Now this does not happen when the takedown pin is removed, but only when it is inserted. I am wondering if this just means I need to take the gun out and shoot it a few hundred times to smooth everything out. I have noticed that my Glocks are quite stiff until I get about 500 or 600 rounds through them then they are nice and smooth.

This is what it should look like.

This is me pressing it back.

And this is what happens when you release. Notice the guide rod protruding a little.

Seems like it needs a forward assist

Seriously, I would perhaps spend some time cycling the slide and seeing if it smooths out.

Agreed. Cycle it a number of times to see if it's still an issue. If so, check to see if something is catching on the spring. I'm not to familiar with the 2022, but if the spring is designed to only go in one direction, you may have reversed it when you stripped off the grease.

It's normal... pistols don't gently return to battery.

I took your advise and have been cycling the slide. I have only done it about 100 times and it is already getting better. I did check the spring too. That was the first thing I tried. But it seems that I need to just break it in. I have a range trip planned for Friday. Let's see if that totally clears it up.

As kmagnuss alluded to, gently returning a pistol (and many other firearms) action to battery can result in it stopping just short. I could do it a lot when I first built my AR, for example. After spending time cycling the action it smoothed out and works great. But the action is generally designed to return to battery swiftly. As long as it goes fully forward after being released from the fully rearward position, there's really not a "problem" as such.

Re: Potential problem or just needs to be worked in?

I was talking to a local gun store employee about this topic a couple weeks ago and he had mentioned this is the effect of a weak spring. Hopefully it works itself out but if not im sure you shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement spring from the manufacturer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

As others have said this is pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckysGlock View Post
    I was talking to a local gun store employee about this topic a couple weeks ago and he had mentioned this is the effect of a weak spring. Hopefully it works itself out but if not im sure you shouldn't have a problem getting a replacement spring from the manufacturer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    As with most gun store employees he's an idiot.
    C hawk Glock and d2jlking like this.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    Ok, I just picked up a new pistol this week. It doesn't matter what kind it is, but I will tell you its a Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm. I have not taken it out to shoot yet, but I did clean it from all the sticky grease they package them with and lubed it up. While I was handling it, I noticed something I have never noticed before on any pistol. If you press the front of the slide back about a quarter of an inch to do a brass check and lightly release, the slide will not go back into full battery. But if you press the rear of the slide just a bit it goes back into full battery.

You don't need to do a press check..............................

READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsC...022-Manual.pdf

C hawk Glock and CLASS3NH like this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    You don't need to do a press check
    Some people prefer to get visual confirmation on the presence of the round rather than relying on a tab, which may theoretically get stuck and provide false information on the status of the chamber.

Doubtful it would happen on a new pistol, but habits are habits.

I bought an sp2022 in 9mm last month. Field stripped and lubed. Went range and a jam o matic. But I cycled slide a number of times and it started to feed. Took home and cleaned worked slide some more and now feeding ok. I can see very visible wear marks on the slide rails. Bottom line is my pistol was tight and need to be worked in. Overall I really like the pistol now that it is feeding. I would however recommend you keep yours well lubed for the first 500 or so rounds. Don't want it to bind and take a chunk out of rails or slide.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    You don't need to do a press check..............................

READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsC...022-Manual.pdf

As any instructor would tell you and anyone with common sense, you should NEVER trust a piece of equipment that can malfunction. Are you going to trust someone when they say its unloaded or are you going to check anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Seems like it needs a forward assist

Seriously, I would perhaps spend some time cycling the slide and seeing if it smooths out.
    Every firearm should come equipped with a forward assist. If it's good enough for our military, it should be good enough for us!

I'm glad it's starting to smoothen out (is "smoothen" a real word?). Who knew that a Sig would need a "break-in" period. This kinda puts it all into perspective. The next time people jump on Kimbers because they recommend a break-in period, I'm going to link to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Every firearm should come equipped with a forward assist. If it's good enough for our military, it should be good enough for us!

I'm glad it's starting to smoothen out (is "smoothen" a real word?). Who knew that a Sig would need a "break-in" period. This kinda puts it all into perspective. The next time people jump on Kimbers because they recommend a break-in period, I'm going to link to this thread.
    Just keep in mind that the 2022 isn't exactly the gold standard Sig Classic series (226, 228, 229, 220, 239). When Kimber sells a gun for half their normal MSRP then we can talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links