Advice on First Pistol for Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Advice on First Pistol for Concealed Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Couple hundred?? My LGS charged me $15 for a rental and let me switch out however many I wanted after I put a mag or ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Advice on First Pistol for Concealed Carry

Couple hundred?? My LGS charged me $15 for a rental and let me switch out however many I wanted after I put a mag or two through them.

2. Remove Ads

Somewhere in the 48 contiguous states of the USA.
    Make a educated decision on your first purchase and then go out and practice with it until you're proficient with it. And about then you'll know what features you want for your next purchase.
    lchamp likes this.

IMHO, first CCW should be small enough to conceal but, more importantly, big enough to shoot (a LOT!). It's practice, not pistol choice, that's gonna' up your odds of survival. Too many folks get little, cutie-pie handguns & then feel safe. The smaller the handgun, the more experienced you SHOULD be...to carry it. In your shoes, I would lean more toward compact & full-size choices & less toward sub-compacts & mini pistols. You're gonna' need plenty of trigger-time. And you NOT gonna' enjoy that required practice with an itty-bitty handgun. GLOCK 19, 1911 Combat Commander, CZ75 Compact are among the ideal compromises. First become an accomplished pistolero, only THEN carry a tiny gun.
    NYMike and Superhouse 15 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

Advice on First Pistol for Concealed Carry

The Shield is an excellent CCW. I got one within 3 months of getting on my LGS's wait list

I would suggest going on the NRA website (or iPhone app) and searching for an intro to pistols class in your area. You might also want to check with some local gun clubs. Some offer intro classes. This would give you some exposure to and hands-on training with a variety of handguns.

VIP Member
    Welcome
    I am with you on the rifle comment.

I like the LC9 by Ruger. It is American Made, has a bunch of safety features on it which should be good for a first time carry. It is small, easy to conceal and shoots ok. It is also priced right in the low 300s. if you want to shoot alot I would go with the Glock 19 ( not US made) or a Beretta 92 ( US or Italy made). I also agree with some of the guys that recomend going to rent several types at the range and see what you like. Glocks= some guys swear by them others at them. I love them, you know what they say about opinions, are like........ everyone has one.

StarPD45
    Another option would be the Keltec P11 (double stack) of PF9 (single stack).
    As was said above, tiny pistols take more training, but in fact any gun takes training.
    Good luck.
    My first carry was a Beretta .25, followed by a J-frame, and a whole bunch more. Of course, we're talking about 40+ years total.

I don't think the pistol is as important as the right holster. Plan on getting several holsters... Getting a popular gun will make holsters easier to get.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    I don't think the pistol is as important as the right holster. Plan on getting several holsters... Getting a popular gun will make holsters easier to get.
    They are both important. I recommend one holster to go with the Glock 19 I mentioned earlier in the thread: The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Glock 19.

I bought a glock 19 for my first handgun. It's great gun, tons of holsters, extremely reliable and it retains its value forever.The next gun I want to buy is a kahr cw9. Single stack mag, polymer handle and it's only 350-450 bucks (or at least in that price range) and its very similar to the pm9 but cheaper. I've heard a lot of great reviews about it and you wouldn't believe how sweet that thing feels in your hand.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    What ever pistol fits your hands
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Re: Advice on First Pistol for Concealed Carry

S&W Shield or Beretta Nano or Kahr CM9, all American made and great choices.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by CleaningMyGun View Post
    Good Morning Guys,

I am not new to guns as I shot rifles a bit as a kid and teenager. A rifle is my preferred weapon of choice. However, I am looking to get some advice on types of pistols to purchase for CCW use. I don't like revolvers but I want something American made in a 9mm caliber for my first pistol. I really like the S&W M&P Shield that just came out and wanted some advice on other options. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    Take a look at the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro Thunder UC Pro Series
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Don't give up on getting a Shield sooner rather than later. I logged into galleryofguns.com on Monday 10/29 at 9:30pm - they had 21 of the 9mm's in stock. I placed my order - they were down to 3 by the time I completed the order - and I picked it up at my LGS on Wednesday 10/31 at 12:45pm for $374.

I also have a Glock 23 in .40 and find the Shield to be a much more comfortable concealed carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    Most sold here are made in Austria, but there ARE Glocks made in the US. The Smyrna factory is right down the road from my house
    Only assembled. Frames, slides, firing pins, triggers, et al are shipped in from Austria. Rumor has it that these aren't intended for the U.S. market at all but for countries where Austria has no trade agreement but we do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links