Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>> within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by crcr3399 I see the wisdom of your statement. I hereby change my belief to 8 smaller holes trumps 6 big holes. Is ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by crcr3399 View Post
    I see the wisdom of your statement. I hereby change my belief to 8 smaller holes trumps 6 big holes.
    Is that a fact?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    If the difference is 5or7 rounds I would go with caliber,but if it was 10vs15 or so id go capacity.
    i would go the exact opposite. the difference of 5 to 7 could feasibly make more of a difference in "the average gunfight" than 10 to 15. considering the average of three rounds fired that someone else pointed out.

that being said, g23 13+1 for me.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Somewhere in the 48 contiguous states of the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    Is that a fact?
    You caught that,eh? Facts are not my strength. Supposition and innuendo are my forte.

A bunch of folks in this thread firmly (yet IMHO, mistakenly) believe that every shot they'll fire in a gunfight is gonna' be a center mass hit. Capacity is also effected by...misses
    JoeGun, Remy, nerdyvirgin and 1 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I went middle of the road, PPQ in 40. 12+1 capacity, 165 or 180 grain. I shoot it very well after only a few days range time with (more to come) and I the recoil is hardly as bad as some people make it out to be.

Bear in mind you can always carry a second clip...
    .XX likes this.

"Capacity" with MY "caliber" of choice....G19....15+1
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Current 9mm jhp ammo closely approaches the effectiveness of .45acp. I find it easier to get more accurate hits, faster with 9mm.

So, after 30 yrs. of pistol shooting I'll choose the hi cap 9mm. :)
    BritishAgent likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Re: Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>>

I'd go capacity. I own two 9mm find and they are cheaper to shoot at the range (I don't shoot reloads.), Better follow up shots due to reduced recoil, and obviously higher capacity. (Mainly easier for range time as I don't foresee myself ever getting into any extended gunfights.)

Caliber, if you need more than 10 shots (or even 6) to stop your attacker then you're either fending off a gang, or a terrible shot.

I'd rather a .357 magnum revolver.
    JEAM and Eric357 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    My vote is for caliber. Since the average gun fight is less than 3 shots per side, caliber is more important to me.
    The problem I see with this^ is that is a "average number" some of this gunfights in the study has 5, 6, 7, 15, shots fired. Look at it like this... If you could have a gun that shot a death ray and vaporized anything it hit, but you only had one shot, would you carry that or a M&PShield with 7+1 of 9mm? I'm taking the M&P... more rounds are more important to me... I went with a .40S&W 15+1 to try and "bridge the gap" between 9mm and .45ACP...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

.40 and good shot placement.

More bullets = better chance at good shot placement IMHO.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Re: Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>>

I like to select by time of day and where I am going. Just going a couple of miles to wally-world I would travel light with my little 32 auto (its a good neighborhood). The north side of town during daylight my 9 with an extra clip. If I'm stupid enough to go to the north side at night, 45 backed up by a 40 backed up by the 32.
    George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Today's ammo performance in all calibers made for SD is pretty good all around, designed for that weight, speed, caliber etc. so I think I am going to have to say I'd probably go with capacity.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I used to think I could fend off the world with just my .45 and 7+1. Nowadays and after reading a lot of experts and talking to some too I believe capacity trumps caliber. That's why I went back to a double stack .40 (9mm just as good). I want double digit rounds, end of discussion.

The main reason is, in a really, really bad situation, I can't say that I'll be taking my time and aiming all that well. Seems to me the more rounds, the better. Suppressive fire is a wonderful thing.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

In handguns of similar size, assuming all other factors meet my minimum requirements (reliability, power for the purpose, accuracy, concealability, cost), then I'd have to say: capacity.

ie, Similarly-sized lever-action rifle in .44mag (10rd) vs .30-30 (6rd) for bear or deer, I'd prefer the 10rd .44mag rifle every time, but for reasons of capacity. Same with a similarly-sized 9mm vs .40S&W vs .45ACP pistol, or a .357mag or .44mag revolver, in which I'd prefer the greater capacity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links