Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>> - Page 6

Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>> within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; But I can't fit a shotgun in my pants Mathematically the XDS at 5 shots gives you 0.802sqin surface area entry wound. The Shield at ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>>

But I can't fit a shotgun in my pants

Mathematically the XDS at 5 shots gives you 0.802sqin surface area entry wound. The Shield at 7 shots gives you 0.693sqin surface area entry wound. Therefore, the XDS, if all shots are on target, leaves a bigger hole.

My preference? 9mm Shield IWB for EDC and XDS Pocket Carry for if the BG happens to be drugged up and won't go down. I own the Shield and I want the XDS. For some reason I keep buying Beretta Mini Cougars instead so take my advice for what its worth.

Less face it guys,,, IF YOU DO NOT HIT YOUR TARGET WITH THE FIRST TWO OR THREE SHOTS,,,,,YOU WILL NOT GET TO USE THE REST OF YOUR Capacity,,,,,

So I will go with shoot what you shoot,,,,, BEST ,,, REGARDLESS OF Capacity OR Caliber. Does NOT MATTER ,,,IF YOU MISS
    Eric357 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Less face it guys,,, IF YOU DO NOT HIT YOUR TARGET WITH THE FIRST TWO OR THREE SHOTS,,,,,YOU WILL NOT GET TO USE THE REST OF YOUR Capacity,,,,,

So I will go with shoot what you shoot,,,,, BEST ,,, REGARDLESS OF Capacity OR Caliber. Does NOT MATTER ,,,IF YOU MISS
    It isn't about missing, but getting plenty of hits.
    sparkykb likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Caliber vs Capacity which do you prefer if 2 guns are similar in size ???>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    All else being equal (including weight), I'd go with the large caliber. That said, remember the 9mm will be cheaper to shoot/practice with.
    Well, only if you use accounting logic, In the real world 9MM is just as expensive as .45, more if you shoot the xdm or a glock 17, If you don't believe go to the range and shoot 10mags of 9, then 10mags of 45, add up the cost and get back to us.
    At least thats how it always works out for me:-)

Sent from my iPad

Well, I carry a J-frame, so I'm obviously not too concerned about capacity.

I'll grant 2 bullets in the chest are more effective than 1, and higher capacity gives that option. However, I also figure A) if 3-4 guys rush a shooter, there won't be time to shoot all of them, and B) I try to plan on "shoot - move - shoot - move" rather than "stand still and shoot x 15". So while I think higher capacity is a plus, I don't weigh it as high as ease of concealment and comfort in shooting. I might change that view if I lived in a big city, or where it was cold enough for easy concealment.
    Eric357 likes this.

I started out carrying a glock 19 then a glock 23 now I carry a para 1911 gi ltc comander length 45 with 8+1 and an extra 8 round mag so I have capacity in a way and bigger caliper . I think people forget or neglect the fact that we can carry extra mags . You just have to be proficient in your mag changes which comes with practice ,which we should all be doing as often as possible.
    ironmike86, Eric357 and Alarm Guy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    In response to the original question, I value capacity over caliber. When capacities are similar, I value ammo price and availability over other considerations.

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^

In the OPs scenario there is not that big a difference in capacity(2 rounds) so I would say the .45 would get my vote here.
    Now if it were say, a FS 1911 vs. a FS M&P9 or Glock 17 or 19, I'd go with capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yeah, but what if it isn't your average gunfight?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Bingo on that, which is why I typically carry more that 5-7 rounds.
    aus71383 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I have a XDS .45 that has a flush fit 5 round mag but when i start carrying that i will also carry 2 of the 7 round mags without the stupid little sleeve thing.

Right now i carry a Glock 26 with an extra 10 round mag. So going to the XDS ill have a much larger bullet but with only 1 less round.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

mkh
    I want both.

I prefer to have at least 12+1 in a gun but it doesn't always work out. My Sig P220 is only 8+1 and I often carry that with 2 spare mags. That's why I carry my SO 2022 in .40 these days.

New Member Array Philoniousmonk's Avatar

Caliber > Capacity

The way i see it if you take more than 3 shots in a defense scenario, you may be facing charges. So caliber and smaller/lighter firearm size. I am looking at the Kahr CM45 (I have the CM9, love it for concealing). Something about the larger bore that provides comfort.

I cant believe the clip police havent pulled you all over and flooged ya!!! I carry a 5-shot .357. with reloads. Then again, i am looking to disengage and not remain in a protracted gun battle. If I were a cop or drug kingpin, I think I would reevaluate my needs.
    Eric357 likes this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have a 5+1 shot XDs in 45 ACP (very nice shooting pistol by the way) that I'm getting ready to be my summer EDC in place of the P238 I carried last summer. I have my name on the list at the LGS for one of the XDs 9mm when they come out, but I'm hoping my wife will like that one.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philoniousmonk View Post
    The way i see it if you take more than 3 shots in a defense scenario, you may be facing charges. So caliber and smaller/lighter firearm size. I am looking at the Kahr CM45 (I have the CM9, love it for concealing). Something about the larger bore that provides comfort.
    The way I see it, if you take less than fifteen rounds into any lethal force scenario, your next of kin may be facing funeral expenses.
    aus71383, Snub44 and oneshot like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I'm a 45 ACP guy and now if this ban happens and puts a limit on mag capacity I will still favor the 45 ACP. I'd rather carry 10 rounds of 45 ACP vs 10 rounds of 9mm.

Don't get me wrong I like 9mm and can shoot it well but I love the 45 ACP.

.45, but if you were asking to pick a .40 or .45 I'd have to think about it a little more.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links