I think my Walther P99 may have gone full auto today !

This is a discussion on I think my Walther P99 may have gone full auto today ! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ValterP99 How common is this , I let my GF shoot it and it happened to her 3 time twice were double ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: I think my Walther P99 may have gone full auto today !

Quote Originally Posted by ValterP99 View Post
    How common is this , I let my GF shoot it and it happened to her 3 time twice were double shots and once it actually fired a burst of three !! It was the second hundred rounds though it , just bought it last week. Also it didn't happen to me or my dad once when we fired 100 rds though it , only when she fired it
    You're guilty of having an unlicensed automatic firearm. Contact the BATFE immediately, and they'll help you determine next steps.

That was sarcastic, BTW. Fairly uncommon. The automatic-fire (not the sarcasm). I'm sure S&W will take care of you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    BATF agent, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

S&W has great customer service. I'll bet they take care of the problem without any hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I did read the link in full, did you? In your post YOU stated you shipped a P30 directly thru the post office. The post made no mention of using an FFL for both ends of the transaction. Do you have an an FFL? Are you an authorized law enforcement agent? If you are not one of those how are you making the claim no crime was committed? An individual may not ship or receive a firearm directly thru the postal service.

Cite a postal regulation to support your claim.

An individual CAN ship and receive firearms through the mail. The link you posted clearly states that. I took a rifle to my post office, declared it as a firearm, the postmaster inspected to be sure it was unloaded, and I shipped it to the manufacturer for repair. I've never attempted to ship a handgun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjensen View Post
    An individual CAN ship and receive firearms through the mail. The link you posted clearly states that. I took a rifle to my post office, declared it as a firearm, the postmaster inspected to be sure it was unloaded, and I shipped it to the manufacturer for repair. I've never attempted to ship a handgun.
    Indeed yes, rifle and shotgun yes, handgun no. I should have been more clear in my post which referenced the member's post regarding shipment of handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^if your #'s are correct^^^^^^^^^^^

And I'm not doubting they are(I'm just too lazy/tired at present) to check, but I have a feeling you are truthin'

This could possibly be what is occuring, but with something as serious as a problem that this could be, I'm glad the OP is palying it safe and letting the factory have it back to see if they can duplicate, or discover a problem, should there be one.
    Agreed, even though I'm -reasonably- sure it's not some kind of factory defect, it's still a firearm. Always play it safe!

Re: I think my Walther P99 may have gone full auto today !

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    While I'd advocate playing it safe and sending it to the manufacturer; to me it sounds like a combination of the gun and shooter. If it's the P99 with the AS (Anti-Stress) trigger, after the first shot the trigger pull/reset is very short. It can be very easy to rapidly fire without meaning to, especially if you're unfamiliar with the gun.

Edit: The P99 SA only has a 0.3 inch trigger reset with a (roughly) 4-4.5lb trigger pull. Like the PPQ, it's not uncommon for unfamiliar shooters to rapid fire it, in such quick succession, that it can appear to have fired on it's own or in some form of burst/auto mode. I personally have had two friends who test fired my PPQ think that occurred when it was just a combination of unfamiliarity with the weapon and a very short trigger reset, with a relatively light pull. Ymmv and again if in doubt, safer to send it to the manufacturer.
    Yup... This can definitely be the result of the awesomely short trigger reset and lightish pull. I've had the gun go bang for that reason. I wouldn't say completely unexpected... Just a split second soon unexpected.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    One delivers in big brown trucks, and the other in little white trucks.
    One is broke and government run and the other is doing well and privately owned and operated... go figure...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Senior Moderator
    There is some right and wrong here.

It is Post Office "regulation" that wont allow handguns to be shipped by a private citizen, not ATF Regulation. The Post Office used to do it, then they got tired of messing with it so they quit doing it.

Fed EX or UPS has no issues with shipping a firearm for repair by a private individual as long as it goes back to the factory or to an FFL.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ...It is Post Office "regulation" that wont allow handguns to be shipped by a private citizen, not ATF Regulation. The Post Office used to do it, then they got tired of messing with it so they quit doing it.
    So first they turn away business because they don't want to deal with the hassle, then they complain about being broke...... makes sense to me.

Back on topic, +1 for taking the precaution of sending it back to the factory. Smith and Wesson's customer service is top notch.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Actually I do hold a SLED card, I am not an FFL, but I do have the FFL form given to me by my local FFL for sending and receiving a firearm.

My recommendation is to do your own research on what you can and cannot do where you live. Don't listen to every Internet expert's opinion and get yourself in trouble as a result, OP.

Walther P99 Rapid Fire

I've had a .40 S&W P99 since they were introduced (or right after the first Daniel Craig James Bond Movie!)

I have also had the "full auto" treatment. It only happens with cautious new shooters. I agree that it's a combo of a limp wristed shooter and a death grip on the trigger. I have tried to duplicate it but cannot.

BTW, I love this gun. I have Beretta's, Rugers, 1911's and this is by far my favorite.

JRH

I guess the P in P99 is what everyone does when the gun seems to rip off a burst
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    BATF agent, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

S&W has great customer service. I'll bet they take care of the problem without any hassle.
    I hope he has better luck dealing with S&W costumer service than I did. The service I revived was ANYTHING but great.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links