M&P Shield 9mm - Page 2

M&P Shield 9mm

This is a discussion on M&P Shield 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious about the safety on this gun. It seems pretty firm and would take some effort to disable it. If your carrying this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P Shield 9mm

I am curious about the safety on this gun. It seems pretty firm and would take some effort to disable it. If your carrying this gun would you be using the safety? It doesn't seem like an issue for a mid range encounter but if someone is up in your face disengaging that with one hand and firing would be an issue, wouldnt it?

The safety on my wife's Shield is not hard to disengage. She can do it easily and has been practicing draw, click and shoot. Re-engaging the safety seems to be harder as she has to use her off-hand to help hold the gun to push it up.

I don't use the thumb safety on my Shield 9mm because it's too thin. The thin profile makes it hard to disengage for me. I see no need for the safety anyway. It has a 6lb. trigger out of the box, which is a heavier trigger than a Glock, probably the same as an XD out of the box. So why the stupid thumb safety? I can understand on a 1911, because of the single action trigger, but not on a striker fired gun like the Shield.

Don't use it, no need to and it will only slow you down if you have to use the gun to defend yourself.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Right now i'm training myself to use the safety. To me its simple enough to slide my thumb over it durring unholstering. It gives me a possitive click unlike some safetys, which is nice IMO. Like the safety on the other M&Ps are junk and i hate them.

I love my Shield. It's been excellent in every aspect. Totally reliable.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You guys that have them, you are very lucky. I've only ever seen pictures. Every shop I know of has a very long waiting list. Double Action, the largest S&W dealer in MI has a line over 200 deep and that was weeks ago. I'm waiting in line just to handle one to see if I like the feel and the trigger. The ones availble on line are going for list price and above.

M&P Shield 9mm

I was one of the lucky few who found one. I first held a 40 at my LGS and it felt perfect. So I went on the hunt for a 9mm and found one at a very unpopular gun shop. The owner wasn't even sure what I was talking about at first. Paid MSRP but it was worth it.

Trigger pul is amazing. Just passed the 500 round mark yesterday at the range. No issues or failures. Tried several mags at 25 yards and it still easily put the rounds on center mass. Sorry no target pictures. Picked up a 3rd extended magazine from a gunshow. Only one dealer had a couple mags and not one had an actual shield. Maybe some day smith will catch up on demand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links