Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

This is a discussion on Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think feel is overrated. Of course reliability is a given. But once you zero in on a particular class of pistol in terms ...

View Poll Results: Is the "Feel" of a handgun overrated?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 22.50%
  • No

93 77.50%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

I don't think feel is overrated. Of course reliability is a given. But once you zero in on a particular class of pistol in terms of caliber and size, how well the gun fits your hand is going to make a large difference in how well you will be able to control the trigger. I think one of the reasons I shoot my M&P better than my HK USP is that I belatedly realized that the USP is probably too big for my hands.

2. Remove Ads

I've held very few guns that didn't "feel" comfortable and to me those particular guns would be my last choice but from one gun to another I don't really notice much comfort difference. I do prefer bigger guns because they "fit" my big hands better.

Goose

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    I don't think feel is overrated. Of course reliability is a given. But once you zero in on a particular class of pistol in terms of caliber and size, how well the gun fits your hand is going to make a large difference in how well you will be able to control the trigger. I think one of the reasons I shoot my M&P better than my HK USP is that I belatedly realized that the USP is probably too big for my hands.
    Excellent point, Once you are in the same class of handguns, then feel is very important. I think that sometimes that's not fully conveyed to new shooters.

Lead Moderator
    The "feel" is overrated IMO. However is extreme cases example: Glock vs. Single action revolver the grip changes will matter to the person. I think the grip angle and size don't matter much unless someone cannot reach the controls.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Feel is important but not more so than reliability. I think you can become comfortable with just about anything if you shoot it enough but there is something to be said for something like a CZ75 that just seems to fit perfectly right out of the box....inspires confidence for sure.

Senior Moderator
    Feel is important to me, that's why I don't own a Glock. I consider the Glock 19 one of the best all around pistols for concealed carry, and I recommend it to people who are looking at buying a first pistol, but I don't own one because it doesn't "feel" right in my hand. It is an easy gun to become proficient with, but it doesn't "feel" right in my hand.

Most revolvers feel nice in my hand, a S&W 669, 39 or a CZ-75c or the new M&P S&W pistols. I also prefer metal over polymer.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I think since you've posted this in a very gun friendly place "feel" is not over rated. Speaking for myself, when I get down to "feel" I have already narrowed the seach to point only which feels best is all that is left.

I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum who purchased mostly on "feel".

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    Feel is important but not more so than reliability. I think you can become comfortable with just about anything if you shoot it enough
    Bingo!!! There's MY answer...Therefore I voted Yes.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The "feel" of a gun probably wouldn't be as important if there were only a few to choose from; beggars can't be choosers. There are so many choices in so many platforms and calibers that you can be more picky with what you learn to shoot proficiently with, or carry regularly. If there are a dozen options that meet my requirements for a 9mm, why wouldn't I choose one that feels better in my hand? The feel of a gun isn't everything, but to take the truck analogy a step further, why wouldn't you want a truck with the most comfortable seats if everything else is comparable to the other trucks you've looked at?

Overrated? Perhaps, but I believe with so many choices, it can be a big determining factor. Especially since it has more practical applications than comfort, as stated by others.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

For me.....I learn to LOVE the feel if the gun does everything else I need it to....

neverenough

Sponsor
    I compare this same thing to motorcycles. I see so many people when looking at motorcycles sit on the seat with their feet on the ground and say "Oh wow this feels good" but when I straddle the front wheel for support and have them put their feet up on the pegs to simulate a riding position many opinions change. Riding can be a great stress reliever and gives me a comforting effect but if the bike does not feel right or fit you, your are going to have to fight it while riding and believe me when I say if you try to fight an 850 pound Harley the Harley will win every time.
    That is a GREAT analogy…

Building Custom Guns & Custom Harleys are two things that I have really enjoyed doing.
    Here’s two of my favorite machines:

IDPA 1911.JPG

LAZARUS 1.jpg

Modifications: Firstly, the mod has to look good. For me, form must follow function. Cosmetics changes alone are OK, but performance based needs (like reliability and shootability) are paramount.

Creature Comforts: It’s all about YOU. The more comfortable it is to carry, the more you will carry it. The better it handles, the better you will handle it. The better it shoots, the better you will shoot with it.

I remember years ago I was looking at a mod on a Custom 1911. I asked the gunsmith if he thought the mod really helped. This is what he said:

"If the shooter thinks it helps, it helps." - Jim Clark, Sr.
    pgrass101, tacman605 and bklynboy like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

The "feel" is a handgun is, IMHO, vital to the effective shooting of that handgun by its operator. A lot of guitars can look alike, almost identical, yet a musician is happiest when he (she) finds that hard to objectify, magic ONE that seems directly connected to their musical soul. Same thing with hats. You can scour the catalogues, read the reviews, ask people who've bought & worn one. But until you actually get the right one on top of your own head, it's all just cheap advice & hearsay. It's tough enough to become a proficient (much less an expert) pistolero without having to first fit yourself to your gun. The process is considerably more simple when you start with a pistol that fits YOU.
    DRM, tacman605 and Tayopo like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsor
    More great analogies!
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post

"If the shooter thinks it helps, it helps." - Jim Clark, Sr.
    And That's the fact
    DRM likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    DRM I knew there was a reason I liked you. I have got to make a trip East for a class or three and then a cruise up or down the coast.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links