Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

This is a discussion on Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to ride the fence. It depends on what you mean by "feel". The way I went about it was I decided what type ...

View Poll Results: Is the "Feel" of a handgun overrated?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 22.50%
  • No

93 77.50%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I have to ride the fence. It depends on what you mean by "feel". The way I went about it was I decided what type of gun I was looking for, and the primary characteristics: reliability, size, capacity, caliber... and came up with a few options. After shooting each of those options, how they felt while shooting them was a huge factor. I chose the one that pointed most naturally and I shot most accurately, most likely because it "felt" better in my hand. So I would say it is an important factor.

But if you are just talking about holding it (empty) at the gun shop, then yeah, I would say that is overrated.
    miller_man likes this.
    Walk softly ...

2. Remove Ads

The feel of the handgun is very important to me. It must feel solid, balanced, and my grip must be something I notice (no double entendre please). I know...a hi point feels solid...but so does a boat anchor, no offense to hi point people, heck I own a mosin and believe it or not that rifle feels good to hold, better than my 30-30 or 30 06. The balance is perfect and makes the trigger pull really smooth. It shoots a tad bit high. So my answer is no, the feel of a gun is not overrated.

I do think the "feel" is waaay over-rated. My Glock 30 may "feel" thick in my hand, but dang if it doesn't shoot just fine for me.

Lots of things feel foreign, until you get used to them. If you don't give them a chance, you may never get to realize how good they are. You might even find you really like them, after a while.

Case in point - the much-maligned Glock trigger. Dunno. I really like it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    DRM I knew there was a reason I liked you. I have got to make a trip East for a class or three and then a cruise up or down the coast.
    I'll be happy to show you around. We can see the sights AFTER I show how to use the sights (or not use them, too, i.e., Point Shooting).

Lot's of history here in Hampton Roads. OK, back on task...

When I go on road trips, people find out I'm a biker and want to loan me their Harley. Problem is, it ain't mine and I find stock bikes boring (same with stock guns ). I like my my bike because it fits ME. I love Custom 1911's, but find myself carrying a Glock A LOT lately, especially since I retired from competition. That and 80% of the guns I see coming through my classes are Glocks, so I decided to get involved with the platform.

But I just wasn't happy with the Stock Glock right off the shelf. I saw the problems my students were having with them, too. So, I fixed it. I made it fit ME. Made it fit the good in the hand, point better and handle better. The sights were the latest thing I've addressed.

Here's some pics of my current EDC G19:

G19 FB A.jpgG19 FB B.jpgG19 FB C.jpgG19 FB MW.jpg
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Balance, hand fit, natural pointability are very important to me. YMMV.
    DRM likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    "Feel" is emotional, subjective and irrelevant. Beyond the basics of minimum caliber, sights you can see, reliability, etc., etc., the only thing that matters is how the gun contributes to your ability to get hits on the target. If it "feels" like crap and you can shoot it like a pro even with your eyes closed then it is the right gun for you.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    This poll is subjective at best. This is like asking if aesthetics is important, or if color is important. Depends on who you ask, and everyone will have a different opinion on the matter. If you don't care how a gun looks or feels, that's fine. It's fine if you do care, too.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    This poll is subjective at best. This is like asking if aesthetics is important, or if color is important. Depends on who you ask, and everyone will have a different opinion on the matter. If you don't care how a gun looks or feels, that's fine. It's fine if you do care, too.
    Seems to me that this would be the purpose of the poll...It does depend on who you ask and everyone will indeed have a different opinion. So yes, I agree, the poll is indeed subjective because you selection will depend on your own experience/opinion/perspective.

-Clay

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It depends on what you mean by feel. To me feel mean it fits naturally in your hand, like and extension of your hand. With that definition, I don't think it is over rated.
    ^^^This^^^

I want a gun that is going to feel like an extension of my body. (hg or lg) I want it to fit comfortably in my hand and to have a proper balance. I want to be able to manipulate any safeties, mag release & trigger with as little movement has possible. I don't like a real long & mushy trigger, nor do I like a very short light trigger. I want to feel the take up & know when it will go bang!

-
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.

I go to a bit of an extreme with feel to some extent -- I have guns that DON'T necessarily "feel" perfect, but I'm not necessarily getting rid of them either. But I have a piece or two that have a fantastic "natural" feel also -- S&W's M&P (pick a caliber, they all feel pretty much the same from the 22 to the 9 to the 40). I can pick a point in space (usually something in my office unless I'm at the range), close my eyes and draw on it and it's right there, every time. Not surprisingly, it also gives me the tightest groups on the range.

*Technically* my 92FS fires tighter groups from a clamp than the M&P - But in my hand, there's no contest. That's all about feel and fit. And when you add it all up, I'm going to enjoy and rely on the one that "feels" best because I shoot better with it.

There were vehicle analogies earlier -- Sure, a comfy seat does not a good car make. But you aren't going to want to drive the car that you can't fit in comfortably either.
    Tayopo likes this.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Polls are, by definition I'd say, subjective at best. That's the point, to get the subjective feeling or knowledge folks claim to have about something.

Nicely, there are some of each: straight-functional firearms, and those that cater to "feel" as being an important element. Thankfully the makers are sane enough to recognize that both portions of the market are worthwhile.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    I also think Feel is not the best factor for final determination on a handgun, or rifle.

I can learn to like the feel of a weapon, depending on what it is intended to be used for, and more important to me, the other capabilities and design that meet that purpose.

Most shooters with a fair amount of experience can pick up most handguns (take a minute to observe and familarize the differences in design and operation), and shoot very well with them. The fundementals of shooting well always remain the same.

As far as I'm concerned feel is underrated.

I'm not going to consider a handgun that isn't extremely reliable, from a major manufacturer with a solid reputation, and in the caliber that I'm looking for. So what's left is feel - how it fits my hand, how the controls are easy or hard, intuitive or unintuitive, how it comes up and points naturally or not, etc.

Sure, you can learn to become proficient with a weapon that doesn't naturally feel good to you, but if there is one that feels like an extension of your hands from the start, why would you choose anything else?

Two personal examples.

Some years ago I did tons of research for a new 9mm carry pistol, and had narrowed it to Pistol Brand A and Pistol Brand B, and I had handled both extensively. I went to the LGS for a final decision. While I had both on the counter Pistol C, a less than common model, caught my eye. I asked to see it. It fit like my hand had been used to mold the frame and grips. It came up and pointed with the sights aligned every time. After weeks of research on A and B I bought C 20 minutes later and, years later, I've still never found a pistol that fits me better.

Second example: I carry an issued with-no-other-option LEO duty weapon. It's from a major manufacturer with a great reputation. It goes bang every time. It feels terrible. I have to work hard to retain the muscle memory to make the sights align as the weapon is presented. My fingers aren't long enough to reach the mag release with my strong hand only. I'm constantly fighting the pistol to try to get my grip higher, and as a result my hand is sore after an extended range session. But, I've fought through that, and I've shot the best score at our twice-annual recurrent training each time for the last four years.

Yes, you can learn to overcome a weapon that doesn't have a natural feel to you, but why would you want to, given a choice?

My advice to new shooter shopping for a handgun is always to think through their needs, discuss revolver vs auto and all other factors, then select appropriate models from reputable manufacturers, then go to a range that will let them rent, handle and shoot the pistols on their short list, then get the one that feels best to them.

Feel? Underrated.
    lchamp and Remy like this.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Definitely overrated in my opinion. My M&P, CZ75, and 1911 all "feel" better in the hand than my Glocks (which is why I held off on buying one for so long) but I tried a 17 on a free rental one day and was sold after that first magazine. Same goes with my LCP and S&W 442, the LCP feels awkward in my hand compared to the 442 but I can shoot the LCP faster and more accurately despite the terrible sights. Don't get me wrong, I can run my other guns just fine and I still enjoy shooting them, but when I go out the door it is the G19/26 or the LCP that go with me and the others stay at home.

Re: Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

I think "overrated" is a bit too simplistic a term for this. Perhaps: Where does it fall within your criterion when considering a firearm purchase?

Some folks have a list of what is most important. With the vast array of choices we have, I believe, that working from a list of necessities/wants/important features is an effective way of narrowing it down to manageable few.

Feel is somewhere toward the middle of my list, but I don't think its an overrated attribute.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links