Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated? - Page 5

Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

This is a discussion on Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not an expert on guns and I buy a gun for its reliability first, if I am going to carry it however I ...

View Poll Results: Is the "Feel" of a handgun overrated?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 22.50%
  • No

93 77.50%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

I am not an expert on guns and I buy a gun for its reliability first, if I am going to carry it however I want it to be comfortable in my hand. I would like my gun to feel like an extension of my hand in case I ever have to use it. I am thankful that I have never had to use it except on the firing range.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    "Feel" is emotional, subjective and irrelevant.
    Oh, I agree that "feel" is emotional. As for it being subjective, go ask an Ergonomic Engineer if they think their speciality is a subjective art or an objective science. As for feel being irrelevant, over 75% of the poll's respondents disagree with you. There MUST be some relevance 'round here somewhere.
    tcox4freedom and DRM like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Oh, I agree that "feel" is emotional. As for it being subjective, go ask an Ergonomic Engineer if they think their speciality is a subjective art or an objective science. As for feel being irrelevant, over 75% of the poll's respondents disagree with you. There MUST be some relevance 'round here somewhere.
    Manufacturers to much of time & money researching & developing their firearms to have an excellent "feel" & good ergonomics for it to be irrelevant.

-

No. Feel is not overrated.

1. Feel is often part of that "X Factor" that makes us love a weapon, and to continually put it in our hands at the range. Over time, this translates to proficiency and confidence.

2. "Ease of accuracy" is my term for how a firearm's characteristics help us close the gap between mechanical accuracy and actual performance. It's basically a function of grip ergonomics, trigger quality, and (to a lesser extent) sights. There are certain weapons that most people can shoot well with, from the first mag. CZs are a great example of "great grip + OK trigger = piece of cake". I've seen a lot of people shoot well with CZs, right away.

In a nutshell, how something feels in our hand is often our body's way of telling us that it lines up with our biomechanics. While we can learn to adapt to many platforms, we might not have to adapt to others. I shot the SR9c very well, immediately. Why waste time adapting to a Glock?
    DRM likes this.

Sponsor
    DITTO...

It's all about YOU. What YOU like and what YOU think. The great part about my job is making your gun fit YOU better.
    OD* likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links