Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

This is a discussion on Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recall reading a thread on here a few months ago where someone mentioned how "feel" of a handgun was over rated. I often here ...

View Poll Results: Is the "Feel" of a handgun overrated?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 22.50%
  • No

93 77.50%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

Sponsor

Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

I recall reading a thread on here a few months ago where someone mentioned how "feel" of a handgun was over rated.

I often here people talking about choosing a gun primarily about how it feels. I think that is a silly idea, like selecting a pickup truck based upon how comfortable the seat is, and not its capabilities. The feel of a handgun or grip comfort is just a single component to consider when purchasing a gun, and in my opinion less important than others. Just for example, here are some things I think should be considered when purchasing a handgun for self defense (in no particular order, and not a complete list).

• Size (concealability requirements)
    • Caliber
    • Magazine Capacity
    • Price
    • Grip Comfort
    • Reliability (track record, historical evidence)
    • safeties

I've found that grip comfort can change with time and experience with different handguns. I used to hate the feel of Glocks, but now prefer them to most handguns because that is what I'm used to shooting.

Do you think that handgun "feel" or grip comfort is overrated?
    What is your primary criteria for handgun selection ?

Just my opinions of course!
    Thanks,
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    Dang, forgot to add the poll. Any chance that a moderator could add a poll?

Question "Is the "Feel" of a handgun overrated?
    -Yes
    -No

Absolutely. "Feel" is way overrated in my view.

I have my personal preferences and some guns feel a bit like "yuck" but one can gain a good deal of proficiency with them with a little familiarzation.

The Colt Python with factory stocks and the Glock feel very foreign to me but they are no impediment to good pistol work. The Glock points suprisingly similarly to the famous Luger.

This may not square with those folks who form opinions on how guns feel at the counter in the gun shop but that's no true indicator of anything.

Only the old 4-barreled COP .357 Magnum, most double derringers, and the average .25 vest pocket pistol are genuinely difficult to master due to ergonomics. Everything else is relatively accomodating.

________

Well ... rats!

I'm a "mighty" moderator and can't seem to successfully edit the thread to add your poll. Maybe a really high-powered moderator will come along and get us out of the ditch here.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Overrated? Yes, but I do still think that it is still important. Some guns don't fit my XXL hands. They feel cramped and awkward to fire. Even though I really like the Glock 19 and 17 I can't stand the 26 because of the fit and feel.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I vote yes, feel is over rated and does not indicate how well you will shoot a certain handgun. For example if you have shot 1911's and pick up a GLOCK it is going to feel strange, but that doesn't mean that you can't become accustom to the different grip angle. On many "seeking gun advice" threads I commonly see advice being given to go to LGS and pick up and "feel" such and such gun. Doesn't really equate to sound advice.

What type of grip, maker, caliber, sights, magazine, etc., are all in the Eye of the Beholder"....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

How comfortable or the feel of the gun and how it fits in your hand, is to me ... a strong consideration. It will be more ergonomic to my hands, to operate, to hold and control, accuracy with it,, and even more .... will still feel ok after I put 500 rds thru it.
    The better it "fits" in my hand and feels, then more than likely more of my hand encompasses the gun to absorb the impact of recoil, and control of the gun for follow up shots.

Second, just because it's the same caliber, has nothing to do with the amount of recoil you feel with the gun.... there are numerous other factors in the size, design, materials, grips, etc. that all have to do with the amount of recoil that is felt. I have some 9 mm's that have a lot more kick than some of my . 357 mags do.

To me, you take all of those factors , including your use for it, how you plan to carry it (if you will), capacity, etc and get the gun that weighs in best in all of them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I recall reading a thread on here a few months ago where someone mentioned how "feel" of a handgun was over rated.

I often here people talking about choosing a gun primarily about how it feels. I think that is a silly idea, like selecting a pickup truck based upon how comfortable the seat is, and not its capabilities. The feel of a handgun or grip comfort is just a single component to consider when purchasing a gun, and in my opinion less important than others. Just for example, here are some things I think should be considered when purchasing a handgun for self defense (in no particular order, and not a complete list).
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. If the gun doesn't fit your hand properly, and you can't adjust it to do so, then you're not going to be able to shoot the gun as well as you will one that is a better fit to you. Ergonomics is an important factor, as are many other things. Steel or Alloy frames allow for interchangeable grips. Polymer frames, not as much so. Guns like the H&K P30 with various backstraps and side plates allow for a more adjustable grip, but others only have two backstraps as an option, or as in the case of some Kahr models, no options at all for grip changing. I've held some guns that, upon trying to grip, draw, and acquire a sight picture, just felt awfdl in my hand, and I couldn't get a good hold on the gun, thus couldn't control the muzle flip as well, and couldn't get a sight picture as quickly. That difference can be big when it's a self defense setting. I also had trouble with some guns, like the Kahr K9 for example, holding it properly and still getting my trigger finger where I wanted it for a proper squeeze. The gun just.. doesn't fit the size of my hands.

Yes, "feel" is overrated. I can get used to the feel of a gun, but I will not tolerate guns that are unreliable or that I don't shoot well. I initially hated Glocks, exactly because of the Grip frame. However the more I shot them the more I began to like them. I eventually got used to the grip feel, and I now own a few of them (as shooters, not "safe queens).

I dont know, some you can get used to but others are just wrong to me. Before i got my shield i watched alot on the LC9. Seemed good, went to a gun store and it felt god awefull...handed it back pretty fast and said no thank you.

Re: Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

I think the feel is of some importance. I can't really say whether or not it's overrated. To me, a gun that fits well in my hands is more likely to be practiced with and see a good bit of range time as opposed to a gun that doesn't feel "right".

Of course there's the flipside, as there always is.. with enough time, you can get used to anything. Feel is just one of many things one must consider when purchasing a firearm that wont be a safe queen.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I tend have a different thought process.

To me the way a firearm feels when I grip it means a lot. As the saying goes "You only get one chance to make a first impression" so when I first pick up a weapon how the fit and feel, if you will, is very important. I can work around safeties, buttons, levers, calibers and so on but if the gun feels right that is the majority of the battle.
    Now don't misunderstand I carry many different handguns and rifles. My personal guns are those that perform a task and are the most comfortable to me. If I am fortunate whatever issued weapons I am given are the same make and model or very close to it so I work with it.

I compare this same thing to motorcycles. I see so many people when looking at motorcycles sit on the seat with their feet on the ground and say "Oh wow this feels good" but when I straddle the front wheel for support and have them put their feet up on the pegs to simulate a riding position many opinions change. Riding can be a great stress reliever and gives me a comforting effect but if the bike does not feel right or fit you, your are going to have to fight it while riding and believe me when I say if you try to fight an 850 pound Harley the Harley will win every time.
    wdbailey, DRM, pgrass101 and 1 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Much the same as a shotgun should have a proper fit a handgun should have the proper fit and feel, to me a Glock is as useful as grabbing a brick or a Desert Eagle is more like grabbing a fence post. On the other hand a 1911, a Luger or even a Mauser Broomhandel have a natural feel and a natural point of aim that immediately puts me on target.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Performance is first and foremost. Feel is important to the degree that it impacts my ability to perform with a given weapon. Ironically, guns that seem to have a better fit and feel (grip size relative to hand dimensions, trigger reach, balance, intuitive sights, etc.) seem to be the ones I naturally perform better with. If I do not shoot it well, it doesn't hang around long...regardless of how it feels. I had a 1911 that felt great to me in every way, except I did not shoot it well. It cut a trail in short order. My Glock 36 feels so-so, and I shoot it so-so. It is on the short list of sell or trade.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Re: Is the "Feel" of a handgun over rated?

Dunno... But my guess is that the feeling of a bullet is not overrated!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links