Glock 27 Failures, OVER and OVER and OVER (and then I got it fixed)

This is a discussion on Glock 27 Failures, OVER and OVER and OVER (and then I got it fixed) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm such a moron. I bought a used Glock 27 with night sites for $400 out the door about a week ago. I cleaned it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Glock 27 Failures, OVER and OVER and OVER (and then I got it fixed)

I'm such a moron. I bought a used Glock 27 with night sites for $400 out the door about a week ago. I cleaned it (more on that later) and have had it in my holster until today when I went to the range. First mag was loaded with Hornady 155gr TAP ammo. I get through 2 rounds, slide locks back. Hmmm.....I though. Three more rounds, slide locks back. Tried the Tulammo I bought for next to nothing and same thing for mag after mag. Tried some Blazer brass ammo, same thing. Every two-four rounds the slide would lock back. Hit the slide lock and it would go back to firing until it happened again. I took it to the range counter and borrowed a Glock 23 mag and same issues. I was beginning to think I made a BIG mistake getting rid of my M&P9C.

Then I took it to the guy who owns the range (who is a Glock armorer) and he looks at it and says, your slide stop spring is bad. He took out the pins and said "who has been messing with this thing?" Sheepishly I admit I tried to take it apart and clean it (as in, removing the firing block/trigger assembly). He said "that is the problem". I apparently didn't put the pins back in correctly and the slide stop wasn't engaging. He fixed it, for free mind you, and I put 50 rounds down the pipe with no hiccups and pretty ridiculous accuracy.

It was a bumpy first 100 rounds, but the last 50 were a ton of fun and I love my baby Glock.

Moral: Don't mess with your gun unless you know what the heck you are doing!!!! God help me if I had gotten into a fight!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

You were carrying it without ever verifying its reliability?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    It's a Glock, how was I to know I screwed it up cleaning it. And yes, I did. And I already acknowledged I am a moron, I don't need to be chastised further.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

My issued G21 is only broken down to four parts for cleaning, as I'm not a Glock armorer, and I'm not going to have that discussion with the department armorer.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Well, at least you learned a "Life Long Lesson" and you didn't have to go to the HOSPITAL or the MORGUE afterwards!!!

And you lived to share it with others. Thanks for sharing...Good post!

Stay safe,

D.R.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

VIP Member
    I'm a firm believer in "No gun gets carried until verified", especially a used gun, you never know who fooled with it and what they did.
    DRM, Blackheart6 and ccw9mm like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Someone will probably be along to remind you that the average gunfight only requires three round and that even with your broken GLOCK you would have gotten your required three shots off before slide lock and therefore been fine.

Haha! Glad you got it up and running just in case you don't have an average shoot out.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Someone will probably be along to remind you that the average gunfight only requires three round and that even with your broken GLOCK you would have gotten your required three shots off before slide lock and therefore been fine.

YEAH! Who even needs as many as FIVE rounds? Might as well just load 2 blanks and 3 live in your snubbie! /I kid.

OP: Glad it is resolved now, lesson learned and life goes on(Luckily, this time it does.) . Better to learn than be arrogant and let something like this, or worse happen again.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'd rather carry something that hasn't been proven than carry nothing.

And to the OP, glad you enjoyed shooting it after your little hick-up. I'll be taking my new 27 to the "range" next week for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    And to the OP, glad you enjoyed shooting it after your little hick-up. I'll be taking my new 27 to the "range" next week for the first time.
    Good luck, you'll really enjoy it. Great little pistola that packs a wallup.

I'll do you one better.

The only time I've shot a Glock was during my firearms class. I had a rental G26 that I wanted to try, so I loaded it up and started shooting. The thing FTEd every two or three rounds and neither the instructor or I could figure out what was wrong. I emptied the mag and he asked if he could try it and see what the problem was.

He reached down and started loading... realized that I had been distracted because he was explaining something to me... I put 10 rounds of .380 through a 9mm because the ammo boxes were right next to each other. I was COMPLETELY embarrassed. The instructor was shocked that the gun cycled at all and said that he wanted to write them a letter telling them how amazing their guns were.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Good luck, you'll really enjoy it. Great little pistola that packs a wallup.
    I'm sure I'll have fun. I picked up a few boxes of Blazer 180 gr FMJ, so it should be interesting.

I also had problems with my new G 27 last time at the range, So tomorrow im heading back to test it out again. Im gonna stick with the factory mags first. I shot my old glock 27 for many years and never once had a problem. Hopefully it was bad ammo. I had a siimilar problem, but I was able to shoot all 9 rounds plus after that I used the 15 round mag with no problem then I used the 15 round again and that started a bunch of FTFs. range guy oiled it and it worked ok, still had 1 ftf so Im bout to send it back or trade it. I do love the 27 though.. Id like to try the 26 I hear people say its better.. matter of opinion I guess... Good luck with your 27, glad its working well now

Well the title is a little misleading, but at least you got it figured out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links