Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon???? - Page 2

Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

This is a discussion on Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recent case of the 92 year old vet that put down a punk with a .22: Earl Jones Shoots and Kills Suspected Robber at Kentucky ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

VIP Member
    Recent case of the 92 year old vet that put down a punk with a .22: Earl Jones Shoots and Kills Suspected Robber at Kentucky Home | Video | TheBlaze.com

Anecdotal, yes. But the punk is dead.

Bottom line - if you can handle a larger caliber, you should. But if you can't, then a .22 handgun can certainly do the job.

It may also depend on the situation as well - I wonder what would be more effective for home defense - a 10/22 carbine with a 25 round magazines or a .357 with 7 shots?? It's a lot easier to hit your mark with a short rifle. I'd still reach for the .357, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with 25 rounds of .22 hollowpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Sorry no.
    I do agree that tactics and bullet placement and beating the BG's shot are far and away more important than caliber. But there's a reason folks hunt 100 pound does with major caliber rifles. Why would you use a minor caliber round on a 240 pounder hopped up on that ol' dope intent on ending your existence if you have a choice?

Myk

Re: Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

Due to my limited budget, I currently only own 2 firearms. My EDC is an XDSC in .40, and an MP15-22. I would not hesitate to grab the MP to defend my home from those who go bump in the night. At home defense distances, I can put A LOT of rounds on target really quickly, and 10 rounds or so of 22lr in the chest and face should deterr any invader pretty effectively.;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    "When they bury me, make sure they bury me with my guns on. Im gonna need em. Cause when I get to the other side, there's some things that need straightening out." ~Bobaflex~

I guess bullet placement would be more critical. Also bleedout would not be as fast, so stopping power maybe null.

I have a Winchester 9422m that for a long time was my only home defense gun. I have seen what that thing will do to a number of varmints and am confident it would do a number on a two legged assailant.

Quote Originally Posted by Armey View Post
    I guess bullet placement would be more critical. Also bleedout would not be as fast, so stopping power maybe null.
    Even with a direct hit to the heart with a 9mm, a person can live up to 15 seconds, though he's probably not too lively. The only instant stopping power is a good hit to the CNS. Several of the accounts I read where a .22 was used, the guy only made it a few steps before collapsing, and one dropped instantly. In a well known local murder case here in Iowa the victim was shot just below the eye with a .22 and died instantly. Of course then you hear of cases like Gabrielle Gifford and that school girl over in Iraq that were shot in the head with larger calibers and lived.

Ya gotta love that old Kentucky vet. He had been robbed multiple times and "If this is going to stop you got to leave one lying in the grass." Amen!

I must say one thing about bullet placement. My .22s are more accurate than either my J-frame or the P238. Not that I would carry either of the 22s. They are heavy and have 5" and 6" barrels.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by cthruit View Post
    I do agree that tactics and bullet placement and beating the BG's shot are far and away more important than caliber. But there's a reason folks hunt 100 pound does with major caliber rifles. Why would you use a minor caliber round on a 240 pounder hopped up on that ol' dope intent on ending your existence if you have a choice?
    The thread was asking for respect for the 22 for self defense... My response is sorry no. I so I think we agree.

Senior Moderator
    The key to surviving a violent encounter is to stop the threat right then. Not 20 minutes from now when the perp finally bleeds out, not two days from now when the perp finally succumbs to shock, not next week when they die of infection, but right now.

If all I had was a .22, then I rekon I'd dump the whole mag right into them. Sure it will kill. It might do it with the first shot...or it might take awhile.

That is not a risk that I am willing to take.
    Brad426 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If its the only weapon someone can use due to their limitations, it is definitely better than nothing, but a 22 wouldn't be my choice unless it was the only weapon I had to use.
    Last edited by mulle46; November 10th, 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: More info
    Brad426 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The key to surviving a violent encounter is to stop the threat right then. Not 20 minutes from now when the perp finally bleeds out, not two days from now when the perp finally succumbs to shock, not next week when they die of infection, but right now.

If all I had was a .22, then I rekon I'd dump the whole mag right into them. Sure it will kill. It might do it with the first shot...or it might take awhile.

Exactly. If it takes only a few seconds for him to go down, a person can still empty a mag in a few seconds. The point of carrying, for me, is self-defense, not post-mortum vengeance.
    Brad426 likes this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

VIP Member
    Will a .22 stop a person? YES
    Is it the best weapon for the job? NO
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

This. Every time this topic comes up somebody posts some story about how somebody stopped an attack with a .22 and somebody else talks about how a .22 is deadly. But the point of a SD weapon is to stop a threat quickly, not necessarily to kill.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

It is not my choice either..I know someone who believes in .22, only carries a .22 derringer for his concealed carry.

If someone's trying to breakdown my front door I'll grab the shotgun. Do I give respect to the .22lr, Yes!!! No SHTF tool box is compleat without one with tens of thousands of rounds stockpiled.
    Chesafreak likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links