Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

This is a discussion on Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Armey I guess bullet placement would be more critical. Also bleedout would not be as fast, so stopping power maybe null. A ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

Quote Originally Posted by Armey View Post
    I guess bullet placement would be more critical. Also bleedout would not be as fast, so stopping power maybe null.
    A pot with MANY holes can leak a LOT of soup :)
    RichB70, msgt/ret and darbo like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It all comes down to what do you want the final outcome to be? For the guy to leave? Leave him laying?

Same two words always apply. Lethality and incapacitation. Yes a .22 will kill someone but will it incapacitate them before they can do you great harm, that is the question.
    smolck likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    If someone's trying to breakdown my front door I'll grab the shotgun. Do I give respect to the .22lr, Yes!!! No SHTF tool box is compleat without one with tens of thousands of rounds stockpiled.
    I will rely on my pistols and shotgun for home defense. I am thinking about buying my first rifle and don't want to dump a lot of money into an AR or AK. At this point I'm thinking that a Ruger 10-22 with an aftermarket stock is what I need to fill the gaps in my gun collection. A .22 rifle is very versatile and can be used to put food on the table or do a mag dump on looters after a hurricane. My fiance has problems handling even a 9mm pistol so I think it would be better if I train her on a .22 first.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Yesterday I was watching a video on Youtube that proved that a .22 is deadly out to over 300 yards. They guy had setup a pine board and the .22 penetrated all the way through the board at 350 yards. While a .22 wouldn't be my first choice, they are economical and versatile enough to be used for everything from putting food on the table to defending the house.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    No doubt the 22lr will go out past 350 yards but it is a really hard shot to make.
    I have no problems with a small 22lr like the NAA for deep concealment. Better then nothing. It can be all about surprise, at least it could buy you some time.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Will a .22 stop a person? YES
    Is it the best weapon for the job? NO
    This,

Sent from my iPad

For the record, I carry a 45acp pistol 99% of the time.....

I do think a small 22 revolver.......like those made by North American Arms would make a great BUG. Very small, yet capable of carrying 22mags.....

A 22 can be a good choice - although in looking for a pocket gun recently, I returned to the J-frame and bought a 649. However, the 22 handgun can be made smaller and still be strong enough to handle a 22. It can carry more rounds since the rounds are smaller. And for $50-60, you can fire 1,000 rounds thru it. There is nothing for confidence like having already fired 10-15,000 rounds! With that degree of confidence, a shooter might choose to go for a face shot - AND hit.

Many years ago, returning from a long hike, I pulled my J-frame 22 plinker with 4 inch barrel. At that point, I had fired about 10,000 rounds thru it. We were good friends. I had no doubt in my mind that the first of the guys to attack would be shot in the face, and maybe the second. And maybe that confidence was visible, because the EIGHT guys stopped moving to surround me. While I like knowing I've got 5 rounds of 38, I wouldn't feel naked if I had 6-8 shots of 22 in a gun I had fired a few thousand times...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin1155 View Post
    I've been searching out stories of citizens using firearms for protection, and over the past few weeks have read a couple hundred. Most don't specify the caliber of weapon used, but some do. And what I've noticed is there seems to be little, if any, correlation between the caliber of the weapon and the outcome. Almost all of the stories fit into one of these scenarios.... 1. Intruder entered house, citizen drew gun, intruder ran. 2. Intruder entered house, citizen shot, wounding intruder, he ran, cops caught him a couple blocks away or when he went to the hospital. 3. Intruder entered house, citizen shot, killing the intruder. In virtually all of the cases, drawing a weapon, whether or not fired, regardless of caliber, including .22s, stopped the attack. And there were as many .22 shootings that ended in death as any other caliber except a shotgun.

It seems on forums like this the accepted truth is that bigger is better, and most put the minimum acceptable caliber at a 9mm or maybe a .380. Now I understand that all things equal, a bigger and deeper hole will do the job quicker, but it seems to me that even a .22 does the job in the majority of cases. I think we overestimate the commitment of most bad guys. The vast majority of them are opportunists. They are looking for an easy target, and are not looking for a fight.

Now I'm not saying we should all retire our .45s, .357s, and 9mms. If I hear a bump in the night I'll still reach for my .357 or my 12 gauge. But I don't think we should just dismiss the .22 as ineffective, because there are a lot of real-life cases where it has been effective. There are a lot of reasons why a person might use a .22 for self-defense, and in some cases it might be the best choice.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of the same cliches we always hear when the topic of caliber is discussed. Yes, I know, bigger is better.
    If you set aside wars, probably more people have been killed with a .22 than any other caliber since the late 1800s. That alone speaks to the lethality of the round. Look what a single .22 did to Ronald Reagan... the bullet was not a direct hit, but rather a ricochet off his limo's armor. The bullet cracked a rib and penetrated deeply enough to lodge close to his heart; Reagan lost over half his blood volume as a result of the wound and would likely have died within 30 minutes if he hadn't received the prompt medical attention he did.

But while the Reagan shooting demonstrates the lethality of the .22 rimfire, it likewise demonstrates the reason why the .22 is a poor choice for a primary defense round. Fully five minutes, possibly more, after the .22 bullet cracked a rib and entered his chest cavity, Reagan walked into the hospital under his own power, only then collapsing but not fully, just down to one knee.

You raise a good point about the determination of BGs... indeed, certainly a lot are opportunists who are not looking for a fight. That fraction would probably be discouraged by an active wasp's nest at your front door, much less an armed and determined homeowner. But in the current climate of aggressive home invasions - not just theft from an empty (or seemingly empty) home - I'm less interested in whether the BG bleeds out down the street, I want to stop his aggression right now.

Clearly, there's a place for the .22 rimfire in personal defense, namely as a backup weapon, a gun of last resort, or the only gun a person can manage due to frailty. And if it's the only gun you have, it is instantly promoted to the "best gun under the circumstances." In that regard, the .22 certainly gets respect, but don't confuse "respect" with "a good choice" for a defensive round.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I had a friend killed in a robbery with one .22 shot to the head.

Not my 1st choice, but better than a punch in the nose....and no one wants to be shot with any caliber............it will kill you.......no sweat.

It's way to easy to do better than a .22, effective as it may be...at times.

Also, a .25 automatic, as disdainful as it may be, looks like a much better deal for extreme concealment than the mini-revolvers chambered in .22. I don't even carry .25s seriously any more. No way is a stunted single-action .22 runt revolver going to be chosen over a .25 around here.

To each his own though.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Re: Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

I think there is one other argument in favor of the .22. If one can only afford say $20/month in practice ammo that's 100 rounds per week vs 10 for 9mm. Considering how poorly people tend to shoot in defensive situations perhaps hits with .22 are better than misses with 9mm?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

So what is better for home defense...a 5-shot .38 or a 10 shot carbine like the Ruger 10/22? Discuss...

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links