Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon???? - Page 4

Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

This is a discussion on Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn So what is better for home defense...a 5-shot .38 or a 10 shot carbine like the Ruger 10/22? Discuss... I just ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So what is better for home defense...a 5-shot .38 or a 10 shot carbine like the Ruger 10/22? Discuss...

I just get out of the woods, check out the regular banter here, and you have to ask that question

I'll take the 22 carbine everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So what is better for home defense...a 5-shot .38 or a 10 shot carbine like the Ruger 10/22? Discuss...

Why choose I'll take both. In a situation like Sandy a Ruger 10/22 with 25 round magazine would have a place. Once the BG gets to the 10 yard line out comes the .38 special. Hopefully the BG never gets that close.

Each tool is best for its intended purpose. If I'm buggin out on foot you bet I'm grabbing my 10/22 with 5000 rounds.

There is no perfect weapon for every situation. If there was I would not need a 30 gun safe. Consider Murphy's law when planing for SHTF. Two guns are one and one gun is none.

My SHTF kit is:
    S&W 686+
    2 S&W M&P 40C
    Kahr PM9

Marlin 1884C
    2 Ruger 10/22
    AK47

Mossberg 500,590,88

Each tool serves a purpose and if one is disabled another can take its place. A rifle in .22lr is indispensable. That should be the first rifle anybody buys.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I had a friend killed in a robbery with one .22 shot to the head.
    No one (that I have seen) disputes that it's a lethal round, just not the best (or second or third or fourth best) round for SD. I had a friend that got killed falling off a rope swing, but I would want to carry a rope swing as my primary means of self defense.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    No one (that I have seen) disputes that it's a lethal round, just not the best (or second or third or fourth best) round for SD. I had a friend that got killed falling off a rope swing, but I would want to carry a rope swing as my primary means of self defense.
    Depending upon the situation it could very well be your best SD weapon. If I'm displaced by an earthquake and have to leave out on foot with only what I can carry the 10/22 is my weapon of choice. It has a longer reach and I can carry many more rounds. The 9mm would be my secondary weapon if the BG got close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Depending upon the situation it could very well be your best SD weapon. If I'm displaced by an earthquake and have to leave out on foot with only what I can carry the 10/22 is my weapon of choice. It has a longer reach and I can carry many more rounds. The 9mm would be my secondary weapon if the BG got close enough.
    No argument. I have no issue with the .22LR as a SD round when fired from a rifle. From a handgun not so much, though.
    bsms likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    No argument. I have no issue with the .22LR as a SD round when fired from a rifle. From a handgun not so much, though.
    No argument with you either. I perscribe to the shoot the largest caliber you can handle philosophy. Still many people can only handle a .22lr pistol for SD. I would feel safer if my wife had a .22 pistol compared to a Taser. Most anybody can become proficient fairly cheaply with a .22lr pistol, that alone makes it a weapon deserving of respect.
    Brad426 likes this.

if using a .22 for self-defense, where would you have to shoot the guy to stop them?

straight to the brain or the heart?

does it have enough force to scare away a robber/attacker if its not a lethal shot?

Rimfire ammo is just not reliable enough to trust it with my life. No 22 for home defense or carry for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    if using a .22 for self-defense, where would you have to shoot the guy to stop them?

does it have enough force to scare away a robber/attacker if its not a lethal shot?
    It does if the robber is me.
    Pythius likes this.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post

It most likely won't be a one shot stopper. If my life was threatened I would unload a 25 round magazine and load another magazine until the threat stoped. Center of mass and head shots are good.

A 300 lb drugged out guy may be more difficult to discourage but nobody can continue to take 40 grain bullets coming at them @1200 FPS.

This thread had attracted +50 posts? Suddenly hibernation seems like a great idea. zzzzzzzzzz
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you set aside wars, probably more people have been killed with a .22 than any other caliber since the late 1800s. That alone speaks to the lethality of the round. Look what a single .22 did to Ronald Reagan... the bullet was not a direct hit, but rather a ricochet off his limo's armor. The bullet cracked a rib and penetrated deeply enough to lodge close to his heart; Reagan lost over half his blood volume as a result of the wound and would likely have died within 30 minutes if he hadn't received the prompt medical attention he did.

But while the Reagan shooting demonstrates the lethality of the .22 rimfire, it likewise demonstrates the reason why the .22 is a poor choice for a primary defense round. Fully five minutes, possibly more, after the .22 bullet cracked a rib and entered his chest cavity, Reagan walked into the hospital under his own power, only then collapsing but not fully, just down to one knee.

You raise a good point about the determination of BGs... indeed, certainly a lot are opportunists who are not looking for a fight. That fraction would probably be discouraged by an active wasp's nest at your front door, much less an armed and determined homeowner. But in the current climate of aggressive home invasions - not just theft from an empty (or seemingly empty) home - I'm less interested in whether the BG bleeds out down the street, I want to stop his aggression right now.

Clearly, there's a place for the .22 rimfire in personal defense, namely as a backup weapon, a gun of last resort, or the only gun a person can manage due to frailty. And if it's the only gun you have, it is instantly promoted to the "best gun under the circumstances." In that regard, the .22 certainly gets respect, but don't confuse "respect" with "a good choice" for a defensive round.
    So the bullet pierced Reagan's ribs and lodged close to his heart... AFTER it ricocheted off of his car? Sounds like a direct hit could have been much worse, right.

With newer ammo like Velocitor, a Ruger 10/22 and a 25 round mag is something I wouldn't hesitate to clear the house with.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

No argument with you either. I perscribe to the shoot the largest caliber you can handle philosophy. Still many people can only handle a .22lr pistol for SD. I would feel safer if my wife had a .22 pistol compared to a Taser. Most anybody can become proficient fairly cheaply with a .22lr pistol, that alone makes it a weapon deserving of respect.
    We're on the same page.
    Clint Eastwood

Ditto-

I would take my Reminton 597, my S&W 2213 in my pocket and 800 rounds in a tube in my backpack :) oh and my Nano since its small .....years of shooting these 22s ...CCI Stingers are DEVASTATING !

The 22 in an auto pistol is a jam-a-matic - rimfires = duds

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links