Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon???? - Page 5

Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

This is a discussion on Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought you might enjoy watching this video - .22 Handgun for Self-Defense? CCI 40 gr Mini-Mag Test - YouTube...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

Thought you might enjoy watching this video -

.22 Handgun for Self-Defense? CCI 40 gr Mini-Mag test - YouTube

.22 hmmmm is that a daisy pump type of bb gun?? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesewiz View Post

good to know. thanks.

Re: Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesewiz View Post

I wouldn't mind having that pistol.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

My sentiment lies with the majority. If it's all I had, I'd use it. I carry what I feel comfortable carrying. It is a killer though. I recall reading a story of a cop shooting a guy four times with a .357 center mass and the bad guy shooting the cop once near his arm pit with a .22. The bad guy lived and the cop died. Luck plays a big role once a .22 enters the body. It's such a light, frangible round that nobody can predict with any degree of accuracy what it will do. A couple of others have already brought up another issue as well. The reliability of most .22 rounds. I know I put 400 rounds of Golden Sabers through my Walther PPS before I felt comfortable my pistol would function properly with it. You have to KNOW that when you need it to function it will. I don't hink it's fair to say that all rimfire cartridges are unreliable (.17 HMR comes to mind as a reliable round) though. Quality .22 ammo is available and I've had good luck with it.

Re: Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

Store guy at Academy unwrapped a 22LR Uzi they had just got in the other day.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

I got into handguns relatively recently, past four years. Have 9mm, 38, .380, .32, 45 and enjoyed a few hundred rounds per month. Read the various gunsights and opinions about caliber, bigger is/isn't better but overall placement most important. I very recently got a Ruger SR22 and I became a believer in the 22. Straight up I shot 200 rounds without one failure. Target wise, I had to change targets far more often as I was obliterating the center. Recovery shot to shot was easy and sight picture almost immediate. There is a part of me that is beginning to believe this might indeed be an almost perfect carry auto.

glad to know I can actually defend myself and others with a .22

it sucks to know that most other bullets cost 10x as much...or more.

Personally I think the 22lr is severely underrated and plenty powerful enough if you have good shot placement and as someone fixing to apply for the permit I feel there are times when my smaller and more concealable 22 would be a better choice than my 45.

(This is strictly my opinion)
    Pro's for 22:
    Small
    Affordable
    Recoil
    Noise (maybe not a good reason but for those like myself who already are hearing impaired it's something to consider)
    Because of the price to shoot or recoil some may be more accurate with their 22

Obviously the main sacrifice is stopping power.

I think if you want to carry a 22 then carry it proudly.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Farmer, 92, shoots intruder dead through the heart
    MICHAEL WALSH
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012
    A 92-year-old World War II veteran proved that he can still shoot and kill on sight.

Kentucky farmer Earl Jones heard a crash in his basement, so he reached for his .22-caliber rifle and sat with it in his lap for about 20 minutes on Monday morning

Jones of Boone County aimed the rifle after hearing footsteps climb the stairs. When the intruder — 24-year-old Lloyd (Adam) Maxwell — kicked open the basement door, Jones fired a bullet into his chest, killing him around 2:30 a.m.

It does work .....but it's a tool in the toolbox. A good mechanic has many tools...it for sure is one of mine :)

My feeling is that I can be far more accurate with a .22 that my 9mm or .45 over multiple rounds but I don't think I would need as many shots with the larger calibers. Just my opinion. Also I do keep 2 loaded .22s in the house as the wife is more comfortable with them and I can give her one of those and be confident in her abilities. She will shoot the .45 but is quite jumpy with it and not real sure of herself when using it. So my thoughts are to each his/her own anything that is reliable is better than nothing at all.

Hi, I'm he OP. Some more information to consider....... American citizens use guns about 2,400,000 of times per year to stop crimes. In the vast majority of cases (more than 90%) no shots are fired. In those cases caliber is irrelevant. This gets back to the fact that most bad guys are looking for easy prey, and they sure don't want to get shot.

I ran across the piece written by Greg Ellifritz which is stickied over in the Concealed Carry section. An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power The data cited in Ellifritz's study shows that .22s are used a lot for self defense, and with more effectiveness than we often give them credit. There are flaws in his research to be sure. A pure scientific study of the effectiveness of various bullets is nearly impossible. There are just too many uncontrollable variables. But there is pretty good evidence that .22s, in real life cases, are really pretty effective defense weapons. Or to look at it another way, very little evidence that larger calibers consistently result in better outcomes. So .22s certainly shouldn't be dismissed with a, "well it's better than a sharp stick."

Here's the way I look at it.... We know that far more people are killed in car accidents than by guns. We know that in a serious accident you will likely fare better if you are in a Suburban than a VW Beetle. So why doesn't everyone drive Suburbans? Well, there are a lot of reasons. But you don't hear people going around dismissing all cars that are not Suburbans as death traps and saying things like, "well, I guess it's better than riding a bicycle."

We have to make compromises in life.... not all of us drive Suburbans, not everyone carries a .45. Even a .45 is a compromise... you'd be much better protected in a tank, or even a Kevlar suit and a 12 gauge. So people will carry what makes sense for them. My usual CC guns are a .380 and a 9mm, but sometimes I do carry a .22, and I feel OK with that, knowing that in most cases it will protect me as well as any gun*.

* remember, in 90% of cases of self defense, no shots are fired.

I respect its abilities, as a caliber.

I'm all for having a weapon that can punch a hole. I'm all for a weapon that can break a bone. I'm all for a weapon that can rapidly incapacitate a violent assailant. Better still, I'm happiest when I have a weapon that has the ability to accomplish all three, without undue requirement on me to be hyper-accurate in my aim when pinpoint aim's going to be one of those things fouled up with the typical chemical-dump of the moment. From what I've read regarding comparison tests and actual street performance results, and from what I've seen in my own side-of-beef type experiments, I've made my choice: 9mm primary carry, in the hottest/smoothest load I can find for my gun. But that's just me. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Just for the record...a well-placed .22 is far superior to a miss with an elephant gun. All of my .22 firearms are long barrel target pistols or rifles, so they don't get carried around in public. My primary carry pistol is a 9mm that helps me achieve very fine shot placement.

"if yer fixin' to put a hole in somethin', then Pardner, make it a hole to remember!

-Elmer Keith-
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links