Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

This is a discussion on Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been searching out stories of citizens using firearms for protection, and over the past few weeks have read a couple hundred. Most don't specify ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Some respect for the .22 as a defensive weapon????

I've been searching out stories of citizens using firearms for protection, and over the past few weeks have read a couple hundred. Most don't specify the caliber of weapon used, but some do. And what I've noticed is there seems to be little, if any, correlation between the caliber of the weapon and the outcome. Almost all of the stories fit into one of these scenarios.... 1. Intruder entered house, citizen drew gun, intruder ran. 2. Intruder entered house, citizen shot, wounding intruder, he ran, cops caught him a couple blocks away or when he went to the hospital. 3. Intruder entered house, citizen shot, killing the intruder. In virtually all of the cases, drawing a weapon, whether or not fired, regardless of caliber, including .22s, stopped the attack. And there were as many .22 shootings that ended in death as any other caliber except a shotgun.

It seems on forums like this the accepted truth is that bigger is better, and most put the minimum acceptable caliber at a 9mm or maybe a .380. Now I understand that all things equal, a bigger and deeper hole will do the job quicker, but it seems to me that even a .22 does the job in the majority of cases. I think we overestimate the commitment of most bad guys. The vast majority of them are opportunists. They are looking for an easy target, and are not looking for a fight.

Now I'm not saying we should all retire our .45s, .357s, and 9mms. If I hear a bump in the night I'll still reach for my .357 or my 12 gauge. But I don't think we should just dismiss the .22 as ineffective, because there are a lot of real-life cases where it has been effective. There are a lot of reasons why a person might use a .22 for self-defense, and in some cases it might be the best choice.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of the same cliches we always hear when the topic of caliber is discussed. Yes, I know, bigger is better.
    1959, kmagnuss and TheCleric like this.

NMB
    You can get to England in a rowboat, But an airplane would be faster.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Sometimes due to arthritis or other conditions a 22 is all someone may be able to handle, while I prefer a larger weapon I will not feel undergunned with a 22.
    kmagnuss and RichB70 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Just like any other bullet. If you do your part, a 22 should work.
    kmagnuss likes this.

I give .22 respect as a defensive weapon if you add a "3" to the end of it

In all seriousness... it may be better than no gun at all, but it definitely would not be my first choice. Someone who can't handle the recoil of something bigger, may be able to have better and multiple follow up shots with it but otherwise something bigger would be better.

Sorry no.

PM
    Would I grab the .22 over my two 9mm's no. If that was the gun in my hand when SHTF you better beleive I would dump all 10 froom it into the issue!

Mrs Pockets does not have the wrist strength to control most (actually any) other handguns, so I bought her a Ruger SR22. Feels good in her hand, she can successfully work the action and can place all ten rounds in a three inch circle at 30 feet. Since it is actually a weapon she enjoys shooting, I feel it is the best weapon for her, and while I think of it as being 'better than a stick in the eye," I don't feel comfortable with anything smaller than my PX4 Compact (9mm - 15 rounds).
    RichB70 and lchamp like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I respect any gun loaded with any ammo. I don't care if you shoot a .22 or a .45, it will kill.
    kmagnuss, msgt/ret, Ogre and 1 others like this.

Perhaps it holds up better when considered as a "home defensive" round. Unless it's a kidnapping attempt, I suspect most intruders would not be armed (just a hunch). It might be different if it's an actual "gunfight" scenario. I've (thankfully) not faced either, so this is just speculation.
    Don't bring a knife to a gun fight...unless it's strapped to a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin1155 View Post
    In virtually all of the cases,
    It is prudence; whereas one plans not to "slip between the virtual cracks."

My wife loves her .22 mag SA. Maybe not the BEST choice. But dang she's good with it, runnin squirrels at 15 yards no problem. She does carry bigger (judge OC/TCP cc) but a 22 in her hands is downright deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Mrs Pockets does not have the wrist strength to control most (actually any) other handguns, so I bought her a Ruger SR22. Feels good in her hand, she can successfully work the action and can place all ten rounds in a three inch circle at 30 feet. Since it is actually a weapon she enjoys shooting, I feel it is the best weapon for her, and while I think of it as being 'better than a stick in the eye," I don't feel comfortable with anything smaller than my PX4 Compact (9mm - 15 rounds).
    You have done well to find your wife's comfort level. It appears that she is comfortable and competent with the .22. When she is ready to consider something else, her positive experience with her .22 will better enable her to embrace and master that platform as well.

Too often we forget that every journey begins with a single step. Your wife has begun her journey and is on her way. I commend your support of her choice for her first firearm. May she continue to enjoy and experience growing levels of competence as time passes.
    kmagnuss and msgt/ret like this.

One of the nice things about .22 LR is that you can stockpile a bunch of it without breaking the bank. While not my first choice, a .22 carbine makes a dandy and handy weapon to have around if the SHTF. And Hurricane Sandy has reminded all of us that the S can indeed HTF...even in the mighty US of A.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'll carry a .22 before I carry nothing but it's not very often that I do (unless it's a work day - then I have to leave any and all firearms at home - sigh) I'm not only more proficient with my 9, it holds quite a few more rounds than my .22. I have no qualms carrying my .22 though, it's just not my preference.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links