M&P stock trigger?

M&P stock trigger?

This is a discussion on M&P stock trigger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have read a lot of people say that they did not like the factory M&P trigger when the guns came out. i have heard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: M&P stock trigger?

M&P stock trigger?

i have read a lot of people say that they did not like the factory M&P trigger when the guns came out. i have heard good things about the shield trigger though, and i have also heard that whatever they did to the shield trigger, they are now doing to all the M&P's. is this true? i have handled a few M&P's in the shop over last few months and i thought they were pretty good triggers, but im a rookie so what do i know haha. lemme know guys, thanks!

I'm not sure about the new o M&Ps but my trigger was horrible.…
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

anyone else?

At first I didnt like the trigger on mine it was gritty and a little spongy. But with some break in time im more used to it now. Ive heard the shield triggers will make there way into the rest of the m&p line. Apex tactical makes some aftermarket parts to make the triggers better. But for a defensive standpoint Im more comfortable with mine now. Its the m&p9c.

Just bought a new M&P9c about a month ago, the trigger was the same spongy feel as the one I bought over a year ago. The worst part IMO is the trigger reset. It isn't positive like a Glock or the Shield. So no, I do not think they are doing the Shield trigger on the normal M&P.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

The big deal is over having a sharp, crisp trigger reset you can feel. Yes, the original M&P's lack that. But that is a far cry from being a crappy trigger. Just different from what a lot of people are used to. And for the record, Smith say's they did that intentionally at the request of Law Enforcement agencies when they developed the pistol. (I don't know if I necessarily buy that, but that's what they said).

Because of all the complaints from regular consumers once the gun was in production, they decided to put a nice crisp reset on the Shield due to customer demand. Smith said they will start putting that on all future M&P's. I don't know if they have started doing that yet or not.

I have both an M&P full size and a Shield. I fully expected to put an APEX trigger kit in my M&P to give me that positive reset, but so far, I really haven't seen the need. Maybe I will in the future, but I haven't yet, and think the trigger is just fine sans the noticeable trigger reset. I do know I'll be adding Trijicon HD sights to the M&P before I get around to putting an APEX trigger kit in the gun.

The bottom line is, it's a matter of personal preference. If you must have a felt and noticeable reset on your trigger, it can be had with the APEX kit. But the stock trigger is not a bad trigger. Mine is very consistent. My Shield is more like the trigger of a Glock.

Again, Smith says they are going to put the same trigger as the Shield into new production M&P's. I just don't know if they have started doing that yet or not.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lead Moderator
    Like Bark'n said , the trigger isn't bad, just different than other guns. I don't notice the reset as being a huge issue, but an Apex kit may be installed later. Most likely as a newer shooter you will never notice .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Like Bark'n said , the trigger isn't bad, just different than other guns. I don't notice the reset as being a huge issue, but an Apex kit may be installed later. Most likely as a newer shooter you will never notice .
    This is your best answer OP, for self defense you can get used to the M&P trigger and shoot well with it. I would add though that if you want to do any kind of competition shooting like IDPA, 3-Gun etc, you'll want a trigger upgrade.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

+1 or 2 or whatever... I bought a M&P 45c fully expecting to have to put an APEX trigger in it later and just never felt like it was necessary once I put some rounds through it.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I do an average of 15 M&P triggers a week. Making them smoother , lighter and give it a audible "click" on the reset.

when you guys talk about the apex trigger kit, what are you talking about exactly? i went to their website and they seem to have a lot of options

I really like the trigger on my M&P40c. The only trigger I do not like at all is the Glock factory trigger.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Never had a problem with my M&P 40C trigger. Don't know what anyone may be talking about.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    +1 or 2 or whatever... I bought a M&P 45c fully expecting to have to put an APEX trigger in it later and just never felt like it was necessary once I put some rounds through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The big deal is over having a sharp, crisp trigger reset you can feel. Yes, the original M&P's lack that. But that is a far cry from being a crappy trigger. Just different from what a lot of people are used to.

The bottom line is, it's a matter of personal preference. If you must have a felt and noticeable reset on your trigger, it can be had with the APEX kit. But the stock trigger is not a bad trigger. Mine is very consistent.

Again, Smith says they are going to put the same trigger as the Shield into new production M&P's. I just don't know if they have started doing that yet or not.

^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^

The trigger on both myM&P9c {which was sold} and my M&Pc .357 Sig (financed by the sale of the 9c) was fine with me.
    I don't throw thousands of rounds downrange in a year, but the triggers, to me are way more than acceptable.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AFP22811 View Post
    when you guys talk about the apex trigger kit, what are you talking about exactly? i went to their website and they seem to have a lot of options
    Apex makes some different upgrade parts to change the dynamics of the trigger/gun. These are NOT needed to make the pistol reliable , only enhance the feel /performance.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links