Next gun will be a revolver! - Page 2

Next gun will be a revolver!

This is a discussion on Next gun will be a revolver! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sioux565 S&W 642 Anytime I research snub-nose revolvers, the 642 always pops up, so it must be good. I do like the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Next gun will be a revolver!

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post

S&W 642
    Anytime I research snub-nose revolvers, the 642 always pops up, so it must be good. I do like the look of the gun and it is stainless which is a plus. It is also made by S&W, so can you really go wrong?

What do you guys think?
    I have the 642 and really like it. However it needs to be noted that the 642 has an Aluminum Alloy Frame and Stainless Steel Cylinder.
    Product: Model 642

I made two improvements to mine....

1. Trigger Kit to lessen the 12lb. trigger pull and still continue to be safe from an "accidental" firing.
    https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid49.html (have videos to install)
    Apex Tactical Duty/Carry Spring Kit S&W J-Frame 31 32 34 36 37 38 42

2. J Synthetic Full Size Grip -- Helps somewhat with felt recoil and affects concealment very little.
    Product: J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I carry a 442, the black and thus evil version of the 642. I love it. It is so versatile and the easiest thing in the world to carry. It is a great gun, with a heavy, but smooth trigger pull. A great compliment to your Glock.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    It is a great gun, with a heavy, but smooth trigger pull. A great compliment to your Glock.
    Big Jon, you should try that trigger kit... It makes a world of difference.... I believe you will be glad you tried it......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Thanks Crowman! I will definitely look into it.

Out of stock
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Thanks Crowman! I will definitely look into it.

Out of stock
    BigJon, MidwayUSA has the Apex in stock......

1. The LCR comes in three grips (normal, boot grips and laser). The normal grips are great for absorbing recoil but at times are too sticky for me and pull clothing while concealed. You might save some money by buying the grips you want up front. Most reviews praise the LCR trigger over the J (642) but I prefer how the 642 feels in my hand.

2. 642 - great gun I will own one eventually. I do have the black version (442). Sportman Outdoors has some good deals for the Js with no credit card fees and free shipping. The 642 is currently out of stock but they have a 638 for $350. See link

SMITH AND WESSON 638 38 SPECIAL STAINLESS STEEL @ Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore:

As a side note... a while back my LCP (my favorite bug) started having FTE problems... My LCR and 442 have never failed...

The LCR is cool because it allows you to change out the front sight to a big dot or something else That you like. I have both the LCR and the Smith. Outta both I prefer the Smith due to overall smaller size; not by much mind you, but it is enough of a difference for me.. The trigger on the LCR outta the box wins out everyday, and the weight is also a plus in the LCR camp. This next part is purely speculative and a personal opinion on my part. I carry a revolver for its simplicity and to get to the zero chance of failure, or as close as possible. The trigger system on the Smith or even the Charter wins out in that category IMO. The new trigger on the Ruger is awesome no doubt, but with more moving parts always equates to a larger chance for failure to me... I'm sure that is an unfounded concern, but when you have both systems to choose from, for me it's the Smith that gets the job of carry... JMO, YMMV.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have the S&W 438 which is just a black version of the 642 with a shrouded hammer too. Trigger is very smoth, very accurate for a 2" gun, very light and easy to carry, and surprising it is actually quite light on recoil. I can hit man size targets with mine at 100 yards double action, wouldn't suggest it for that role but knowing that I can makes me happy xD

The Ruger is definitely a fine option to, I have no experience with the Charter but I'm sure it is quite a good pistol,

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I have the 642 and really like it. However it needs to be noted that the 642 has an Aluminum Alloy Frame and Stainless Steel Cylinder.
    Product: Model 642

I made two improvements to mine....

1. Trigger Kit to lessen the 12lb. trigger pull and still continue to be safe from an "accidental" firing.
    https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid49.html (have videos to install)

2. J Synthetic Full Size Grip -- Helps somewhat with felt recoil and affects concealment very little.
    Product: J Synthetic Full Size Grip with S&W Logo
    If you plan on using for daily carry I'd suggest sticking to the regular trigger sprig kit, as there is the off chance that you can get a light strike on certain ammo, specially considering I use magnum primers myself. Definitely test it over many rounds that you intend to carry, one light strike can be detrimental. Combined with the shorter firing pin on newer S&Ws can be detrimental, make sure to clean out the internals on your revolvers too, my 686 had light strikes at around 3000 rounds without cleaning internals.

Regards,

JP99
    Tayopo likes this.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I've owned the others and can tell you that the LCR is the best small revolver made.

Light, smooth and accurate.

Unlike a Charter or Smith, the LCR doesn't slam a chunk of steel or alloy into my palm.

The XS or Novak tritium sight is a wonderful addition to the LCR.

If I wasn't looking to buy a Gen 4 Glock 33, I'd have a KLCR .357 right now.

You really can't go wrong with a LCR.

Just wanted to do a +1 on the post from PEF earlier in this thread. I have a good friend who is a county Deputy. His BUG is an S&W 642 which still functions well, but the finish is trashed. That may or may not sway the decision of

Mr. Mac

My vote is for the LCR. I love mine and carry it daily. But any of your choices would be good.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'd have to vote "none of the above" even though a Smith & Wesson Model 642 has been kept around here since the late 1990s.

A steel-framed Smith & Wesson snub is a better choice than the three mentioned.

The Colt Detective Special is truly superior to to every other .38 snub ever made in my opinion, if a person values a seriously concealable revolver that best lends itself to actual gunfighting. Fundamentally as compact as the others for concealment purposes, holds six shots rather than five, manages recoil well through it's weight and ergonomics, and shoots more akin to a larger service revolver, making accurate hits easier. In order to embrace the Detective Special one needs to get past the notion that lighter weight is always a superior attribute. At 21 ounces the Detective Special is not a heavy gun but so many shooters have come to expect ever lighter, ever smaller.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    You really can't go wrong with a LCR.

Thanks for this picture. Really gives me and idea of its size compared to the LC9 which I've shot before.

I'm a fiend for S&W revolvers, but here's a pic of my Charters.

They all work fine, so I gotta show them some love.

charter_revolvers.jpg

Pictured are 2 vintage Undercovers (grabbed each for 200 bucks at local gun stores), a Mag Pug .357, and a Bulldog .44 Special.

I'd like to add an "Undercover Police" model to my collection. It's a 6-shooter .38 made on the same frame as the Bulldog and Mag Pug.

I guess I'm a shallow person. If I ever buy a revolver it has to have a visible hammer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links