Next gun will be a revolver!

This is a discussion on Next gun will be a revolver! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My next gun is going to be a revolver. Why? I just want something different. My two current guns are both semi-autos and I would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Next gun will be a revolver!

My next gun is going to be a revolver. Why? I just want something different. My two current guns are both semi-autos and I would like a revolver. That means that there is that dreaded question, which one to get?!

Lucky for me, I have narrowed it down to three choices, but seeing as how this next purchase won't come for a few months, I am open to suggestions.

Ruger LCR 38
    The LCP was my first gun, so there is something about Ruger that I really like. I've heard nothing but good about the LCR, but I want a revolver in stainless steel finish.

S&W 642
    Anytime I research snub-nose revolvers, the 642 always pops up, so it must be good. I do like the look of the gun and it is stainless which is a plus. It is also made by S&W, so can you really go wrong?

Charter Arms 38 Undercover
    After the first two choices, you're probably thinking why I would even consider Charter Arms. Well, my dad swears by this company as he has their 44 Pug from many years ago. I really like the simplistic design of the gun and they also have many different models to pick from.

That is my list so far. What do you guys think?

You just bought your Glock lol

You should really look at these too CLICK ME!!
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    You just bought your Glock lol

You should really look at these too CLICK ME!!
    Those look very interesting! This next purchase won't be for a while, but I definitely want it to be a revolver.

If it's a wheel gun .......it's a S&W.
    gottabkiddin and JEAM like this.

To me normal revolvers are to over rated and way out of style, so this fits the bill for me. Im going to be getting one someday.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

I own 2 wheel guns a Ruger GP-100 and a Taurus Model 85, love to shoot both guns.

Re: Next gun will be a revolver!

The only revolver I have left is a Taurus 85. Can't say enough good things about it.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Any that you listed, and given your list ..... one that would fit well into it is the SP101 Ruger.

But again, any of them would be fine. Pick the one you like the most and go on from there.
    mulle46 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    My next gun is going to be a revolver. Why? I just want something different. My two current guns are both semi-autos and I would like a revolver. That means that there is that dreaded question, which one to get?!

Lucky for me, I have narrowed it down to three choices, but seeing as how this next purchase won't come for a few months, I am open to suggestions.

Ruger LCR 38
    The LCP was my first gun, so there is something about Ruger that I really like. I've heard nothing but good about the LCR, but I want a revolver in stainless steel finish.

S&W 642
    Anytime I research snub-nose revolvers, the 642 always pops up, so it must be good. I do like the look of the gun and it is stainless which is a plus. It is also made by S&W, so can you really go wrong?

Charter Arms 38 Undercover
    After the first two choices, you're probably thinking why I would even consider Charter Arms. Well, my dad swears by this company as he has their 44 Pug from many years ago. I really like the simplistic design of the gun and they also have many different models to pick from.

That is my list so far. What do you guys think?
    I can't speak for the charter arms, but both the LCR and the 642 are great carry guns. But what that also means is they are not the most "Shootable" revolvers. If you are looking for a range toy, or a home defense weapon, these are not the best for that role. If you are looking for a carry that is easy to conceal and will perform splendidly at five yards or less, these are the best you can get.

If you want something more "shootable", try a SW 686 4" or a Ruger GP 100.

I have a 642, it's a very nice carry gun, but it demands your devotion if you want to shoot it well.

VIP Member
    Also, one other thing - if you are not going to pocket carry (i.e., you will only carry IWB or OWB), you may want to consider a SW 640 (.357 all stainless steel, not alloy frame like the 642). With a good holster you can carry the 640 comfortably all day, but it is just a tad on the heavy side for pocket carry.

KoB
    My vote is for the LCR .38 with XS Night sight...I recently took the CT grips off of mine and put the original grip back on. Kinda like the CT grip cause it's slimmer. I'm also partial to Charter Arms, for my
    .44 spl Bulldog is one of my favorites.

Choices 1 & 3 are my selection
    sioux565 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KoB View Post
    My vote is for the LCR .38 with XS Night sight...I recently took the CT grips off of mine and put the original grip back on. Kinda like the CT grip cause it's slimmer. I'm also partial to Charter Arms, for my
    .44 spl Bulldog is one of my favorites.

Choices 1 & 3 are my selection
    Glad to see you have a CA!

This snub-nose would be strictly for concealed carry IWB. My next choice would be to decide if I wanted one chambered in 38 or 357. I'm glad I'll have plenty of time to think this through!

I went with the KLCR because I wanted something smaller and lighter than the XD9sc. I wanted the stainless frame over the aluminum for durability reasons and was willing to sacrifice the 4 extra ounces. I just put the XS tritium sight on the front and in a Talon IWB holster, it disappears on my waist. Ive since found smaller semi autos and have listed the LCR for sale. I seem to prefer striker fired carry guns over the revolver.

642 hands down. I trust their revolvers and the fact you can't find many 50 year or older ones that run fine they made speaks a lot to their knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have several semi auto's (Glock, Sig, beretta...) but always looking for a good revolver... Just because. Found a police trade S&W 64 for just less than $300, and it's a smooth beautiful piece. A few months later, I found a Taurus 85 at the gun store for $199. Love it! Feels so "old school" to have a little black snubby; like the old detective shows of the 70's and 80's. Wonderful gun, and sometimes useful as a carry gun...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links