Walther PPS and Navy SEALs

This is a discussion on Walther PPS and Navy SEALs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Give a SEAL a pencil and he will write you a novel. Give him any handgun and he will give you results....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Walther PPS and Navy SEALs

Give a SEAL a pencil and he will write you a novel. Give him any handgun and he will give you results.

2. Remove Ads

I will purchase another PPS when I can...That was probably the best semi-auto I've owned for carry.

There are many Walther PPS 9mm's, but this one is mine, and the SEALs are just gonna have to go get their own boring black models.
    ...BTW, this gun is the reason I don't own and have little interest in the Sheild. Better trigger with a much better re-set than the Sheild.

C hawk Glock likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I heard they like their Martinis "shaken not stirred" also
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Wow, a bunch of guys that aren't known to be gun nuts, but instead usually just get weapons handed to them with no real input of their own is a huge endorsement.
    Not sure this is entirely accurate. I'm not a SEAL, so I can't speak from experience, only from what I've been told. I have a cousin who retired as a Colonel at the pentagon, and my son's best friend is an Army Ranger. According to them, special ops forces, especially SEALs, have a great deal of latitude in weapons, footwear, and hair, including facial. There are some basic parameters with weapons, but within those, a great deal of latitude, when available. I'm sure there are instances where they may indeed take what is handed them, but not always.

You may have been special ops and speaking from experience. I'm just repeating what I've been told by two credible sources.
    Last edited by BamaT; November 12th, 2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    Secret Spuk and ejes like this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    According to a Jun 18, 2012 article in Defensive Review.com, US Navy SEAL Special Warfare operators have chosen the Walther PPS for concealed carry/covert operations. This is quite an endorsement as I believe these guys can pretty much have and get anything they want. I knew I made a good choice. (Kind of funny to note that a Smith and Wesson representative speaking in the same article said that well, if the Shield had been available then, the SEALs would probably have chosen that instead. Something about sour grapes comes to mind.)
    Very interesting post Gaius. Thanks for sharing.

I've had a 9mm PPS for almost four years.

It's easy to shoot accurately, uber reliable with any ammo you feed it (fmj/jhp) easy to take down and clean.

Walther hit a homerun with this pistol.

I can easily see why the SEALS would choose it for certain situations.

Here's a pic of mine:

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Re: Walther PPS and Navy SEALs

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    There are many Walther PPS 9mm's, but this one is mine, and the SEALs are just gonna have to go get their own boring black models.
    ...BTW, this gun is the reason I don't own and have little interest in the Sheild. Better trigger with a much better re-set than the Sheild.

I LOVE that color! (Me jealous. LOL)

twc
    The PPS is a great firearm I'm sure. I just can't figure out why the Seals would use a single stack pistol surely they could conceal a double stack sub compact of some sort...

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    I LOVE that color! (Me jealous. LOL)
    Blau/Grau.....in English Blue/Grey. Was at my local GS Monday and was comparing a PPS in the gun case to a Sheild. Not enough difference in dimensions to make a difference.....and I do like
    the PPS trigger more than the Sheild.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    The PPS is a great firearm I'm sure. I just can't figure out why the Seals would use a single stack pistol surely they could conceal a double stack sub compact of some sort...
    Depends what you is conceling said pistol in!!

i say, if the PPS is good enough for the U.S Navy Seals,it's good enough for us!!

Don’t know about SEALs either but here in Kabul there’s often bearded SF guys carrying Glocks…….

I concur, they get latitude as they should.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    FWIW: I know for a fact Dick Marcinko of ST6 fame carried a PPK in an ankle holster back in the day. So, I could see the PPS being a good choice in that respect. And also for deep concealment and/or jogging because it's so light.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

In regards to SEALs having input on their weapons or not, I recently read No Easy Day, the first hand account of the Bin Laden raid. One part I particularly liked was where he described his guns.

The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: “You dream, we build.”

For a gun geek like me, it was heaven. I had them set up my two M4 assault rifles, one with a fourteen-inch barrel and one with a ten-inch barrel. I got an MP7 submachine gun and a collection of handguns, including the standard-issue Navy SEAL Sig Sauer P226. My primary weapon that I used daily was a suppressed Heckler & Koch (H&K) 416 with the ten-inch barrel and an EOTech optical red dot sight with a 3X magnifier. My H&K 416 with a fourteen-inch barrel I set up for long-range shooting. It was also suppressed, and on top I mounted a 2.5X10 Nightforce scope.I also set up my fourteen-inch H&K 416 with an infrared laser and a clip-on thermal sight that allowed for more precise night shooting. I didn’t use the gun much because my primary weapon, with the ten-inch barrel, worked for most missions, but it was nice to have a gun ready with a little more range if I needed it.

I ran with a suppressed MP7 submachine gun on a few missions, but it lacked the knockdown power of my H&K 416. The submachine gun came in handy during ship boarding, in the jungle, or when weight, size, and the ability to stay extremely quiet were needed. Several times we shot fighters in one room with a suppressed MP7 and their comrades next door didn’t wake up. The H&K 416s didn’t compare to the MP7 when you were trying to be extremely quiet.Rounding out my guns were two pistols—the Sig Sauer P226 and an H&K 45C. Both were suppressor capable and I typically carried the 45. I also carried an M79 grenade launcher, which was called a pirate gun because it looked like a blunderbuss. Our armorers cut the barrel short and modified the stock into a pistol grip.

Of course, none of my guns were standard issue. We all had individual modifications on the trigger and grips. I know for a fact the armorers took great pride in taking care of the tools that took care of us. Without a doubt, DEVGRU had the best tools in the business.

As you walked around the command, it wasn’t uncommon to hear rounds being shot at the indoor and outdoor ranges, or hear the thud of a breaching charge going off in the kill house. Training was constant. It wasn’t unusual to see guys walking between training events dressed in full kit, with their loaded weapon slung in front of them. Everything was geared toward war-fighting or training for it.
    d2jlking likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    Not sure this is entirely accurate. I'm not a SEAL, so I can't speak from experience, only from what I've been told. I have a cousin who retired as a Colonel at the pentagon, and my son's best friend is an Army Ranger. According to them, special ops forces, especially SEALs, have a great deal of latitude in weapons, footwear, and hair, including facial. There are some basic parameters with weapons, but within those, a great deal of latitude, when available. I'm sure there are instances where they may indeed take what is handed them, but not always.

You may have been special ops and speaking from experience. I'm just repeating what I've been told by two credible sources.
    Is this like six degrees of separation? Kevin Bacon.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links