Walther PPS and Navy SEALs

This is a discussion on Walther PPS and Navy SEALs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by twc The PPS is a great firearm I'm sure. I just can't figure out why the Seals would use a single stack ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Walther PPS and Navy SEALs

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    The PPS is a great firearm I'm sure. I just can't figure out why the Seals would use a single stack pistol surely they could conceal a double stack sub compact of some sort...
    They've been using SIG P239s for covert carry, so they're already carrying single stacks. The PPS is a much thinner gun than a P239.

The main reason they probably didn't pick the Shield, and the reason I still don't recommend it over the PPS, is the Shield lacks a rail. There is no reason to carry a gun you can't mount a light on in this day and age. Especially when the Shield and PPS are running similar prices because of Shield scarcity.
    DRM likes this.
    Also known as CTD Chris

America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
    http://www.CheaperThanDirt.com

2. Remove Ads

SEALs get what they request at the armory with very little bureaucratic BS. And maintain the necessary signatures right up the command chain to assure that happens without desk-jockey interference. As a general rule, most folks that are inordinately good at their job get any tool they require. SEALs are among the world's best. If the U.S. Navy has any blank checks left, the SEAL Teams should always (IMHO) have a fist full. That's enough of an endorsement right there for me to go get a PPS.
    d2jlking likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Guys don't read No Easy Day and think that's life for every SEAL. DEVGRU and the guys on the regular teams live different lives. In that book it explains how amazed the author was when he checked in to DEVGRU and saw their toy store. For guys on the regular teams they are more limited. Yes, they have far more choice than an Army infantryman or even a Ranger, but not like the dudes at the top like Delta and DEVGRU.
    DRM likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I know it's probably not a good reason, but I just could not get excited about the magazine release on the new Walther pistols. It's just not intuitive and I worry I may flub a reload at a critical moment.

After reading great reviews on the PPQ as well as the PPS, I may have to rethink that. For now though, it's guns with a more traditional magazine release for me.
    WonderBra likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

jyo
    I am very happy with my 9mm PPS---it likes to go out shooting with my other Walther, a P5.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar

Re: Walther PPS and Navy SEALs

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I know it's probably not a good reason, but I just could not get excited about the magazine release on the new Walther pistols. It's just not intuitive and I worry I may flub a reload at a critical moment.

After reading great reviews on the PPQ as well as the PPS, I may have to rethink that. For now though, it's guns with a more traditional magazine release for me.
    Was in the same boat, but went ahead and got a PPS anyways. Now I wish every handgun had that kind of mag release!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

My cousin is a seal. He carries sig. Not sure of they are in the process of switching or what, but as of 3the weeks ago when I spoke to him last it was still sig
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Some heavy-hitters of my acquaintance (LE training community) have been using the PPS as concealed-carry weapons for several years now, running them quite hard.. This means more to me than what the SEALs may or may not be doing, though one of my colleagues was a SEAL, and maintains contacts with them, so if I really wanted verify SEAL use of the PPS, he might be able to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by bdbull View Post
    In regards to SEALs having input on their weapons or not, I recently read No Easy Day, the first hand account of the Bin Laden raid. One part I particularly liked was where he described his guns.
    Looks like they have quite a bit of discretion and input into their weapons. I like that.

I know nothing more about this topic than any other civilian, but according to Brandon Webb and Chris Lyle two former SEAL Snipers, they "used what they were issued" and did not always love what they were issues. See the video here from Brandon Webb's website Inside the Team Room Episode 22: The Question of Gear | SOFREP TV

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Kind of funny to note that a Smith and Wesson representative speaking in the same article said that well, if the Shield had been available then, the SEALs would probably have chosen that instead. Something about sour grapes comes to mind.
    Sour grapes would be my bet, as well. The PPS has been around a while (since 2007), while the Shield's only a first-year item (2012). Can't imagine the SEALs would dare rely on a v1.0 rendition, no matter the make/model of gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

DBS
    I have a shooting buddy who has been a SEAL for ten years. When I asked him about sidearms, he said they exclusively carry the Sig P226, although he had heard of a few SEAL units who were experimenting with .45 ACP. That was it--no other pistols. He is not DEVGRU though--obviously things could be different for those guys.
    DRM likes this.

Big difference from the James Bond PPK to the PPS

I am on my second PPS 9mm. Like the gun, DONT LIKE the mag release. Living with it for now.

In my opinion, if it had a push button "traditional" mag release, this would be my ideal CCW gun.
    But it does shoot nice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Well this thread sealed the deal for me....a PPS! If only I can find one in my area.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links