Para Carry 9 LDA Handgun - Experience, Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Para Carry 9 LDA Handgun - Experience, Thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone I'm considering a Para Carry 9 LDA handgun as another CCW. This is the mini 1911-style 9mm, 3" barrel, single stack 8+1, light ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mjscott71357

Thread: Para Carry 9 LDA Handgun - Experience, Thoughts?

Para Carry 9 LDA Handgun - Experience, Thoughts?

Hello everyone

I'm considering a Para Carry 9 LDA handgun as another CCW. This is the mini 1911-style 9mm, 3" barrel, single stack 8+1, light double action trigger model made by Para Ordnance. There are some old posts in the forums, and online reviews have been mostly good but some negative. Is there anyone here who has experience with this weapon? If so, could you please share - thanks in advance. Here's a pic for those who haven't seen this handgun:

ParaCarry9_port.jpg ParaCarry9_stbd.jpg

2. Remove Ads

I have a PDA/LDA 9mm. The trigger is butter smooth. However, mine will only feed FMJ ball ammo. I've even sent it back to the factory for new sights (NIB sights were way off) and feed ramp polishing. Still won't feed hollow point or any +p ammo.

Holsters: You have to get the generic 3" 1911.
    Magazines: Good Luck with that.

I still have the gun, I'm not sure why...
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they canít get it wrong..

I'm only speaking from the 100ish rounds i've put through one. I dont own one...just shot a buddy's.

Trigger is excellent. I have a few Kahr's, which I love. It's the same sort of idea. If you dont like a Kahr trigger, you probably wont like these. I love the LDA though.

Build quality seems awesome. The finish not so much. If you get one, get stainless. The other finishes wear quickly. It's got some heft (some like it, some dont).

Like Gunny stated, they can be picky with JHP ammo. I only shot FMJ, so I cannot comment from experience, but I've heard they are picky. The FMJ was reliable.

In a nutshell, I think they are good guns, but there are much better options out there, for quite a bit less money. IMO, save a few bucks and get a Kahr K9.

I've owned the Para Carry9 for about 5 years now. It is my preferred concealed carry. I've never put anything but my reloads or remington factory ammo thu it, but I have several hundred rounds thru the pistol and I've never had any issues.
    pillpopper likes this.

I had a stainless model. I found the gun to be to heavy for all day carry. I think that there are better choices on the market that are lighter and have higher capacity. (Not to mention, better prices) I have had a problem with Para service in the past as well. Have owned several Para's over the years.....no more.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I bought one a couple of years ago and could not be happier.

I have not had any ammo issues and CMI makes mags for it. I carry it a lot when home AIWB in a Galco J hook holster or a Galco Royal Guard.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    my buddys 45 LDA was a jammomatic and needed to be sent for repairs
    and now it only jams once in a while

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I bought a hardly-shot-at-all LDA in 45 a couple of years ago. I'd guess I have north of a couple hundred rounds through it. Maybe 300. No issues at all. Reloads, white box, SD loads....all of them feed. I'm pretty pleased with it. When I carry it, it goes in a Minotaur and I'm good for the day. Yeah, it's a bit heavy but a good rig fixes that. As had been mentioned the factory trigger is pretty sweet. In 45, this isn't a pinker. It's just not that comfortable to continue to shoot after a few magazines. In 9, I'd think that that wont be an issue.

I'll admit that I hesitated a bit prior to buying given that Para has had their ups and downs. I'm glad I finally jumped on it. Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I recently bought a used TAC-4 . It feeds both JHP and FMJ very well. It has a smooth trigger pull and at present is more reliable than my new Para Expert 14-45. This TAC-4 is my new CCW. In all fairness to my Expert 14-45, it isn't having the FTFs as much since I have run about 200 rds thru it. Jon
    Last edited by jrw711; June 4th, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo

Links