M&P Shield Sight Alignment

This is a discussion on M&P Shield Sight Alignment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased an M&P Shield in .40 caliber a few weeks ago. I took it to the range the following day to try it out. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: M&P Shield Sight Alignment

I purchased an M&P Shield in .40 caliber a few weeks ago. I took it to the range the following day to try it out. After firing roughly 30 rounds I noticed that my groupings were about 3-4" left of center. At first I thought that maybe it was me and I was doing something wrong since this gun is considerably thinner than most handguns. I proceeded to fire another 75 rounds or so with the same issue.

The following Monday I contacted S&W about the issue. The instructed me to fill out the warranty repair form on their website, so i did. They emailed me a
    return packing slip so I could send the weapon back to them to be repaired. They told me it would be roughly 7-10 business days for the turn around. I called them today to check on the status and asked about the sighting process during manufacturing and I was told that they don't zero the weapon in, they just make sure that it is with a certain range, or radius, from center target.

This is absurd to me! Has anyone else heard of this or had this problem of the bullet not hitting point of aim with their Shield???
    Logic likes this.

A lot of things can affect the POI in a firearm,one is Ammo,different ammo weights/powder charges can affect,so I'm going to assume that they pretty much line up sights with bore axis and that there may need some final tweaking when shooting.I have the ability to be able to drift the rear sight to adjust for windage,as far as elevation,in my carry 1911 at 7 yards I have to elevate my front sight above the rear sight or I hit about 1.5" low,but at 25 yards lining up the front sight in the V hits dead on.That is why it's important to know where your gun shoots at different ranges
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

You need to have somebody else shoot your gun.....recoil anticipation is a prime suspect.
    CIBMike likes this.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Now that's a job I want! (2nd to Border Patrol). Dialing in sights at the factory....When I get a new weapon, half the fun is dialing her in and getting to know her.

I'm guessing I would probably skip lunch to keep shooting!

neverenough

I used 3 different grains: 180, 165, and 135. The front sight is driftable but the S&W manual stated that you have to have a gunsmith do it or it voids the warranty. So i didnt want to do that and i didnt want to pay a gunsmith so i had to send it back. As for the 2 of you who mention recoil anticipation and trigger control, i forgot to mention that I was in the military for 6 years and have been a pistol shooter for just about 15 years now. Im not saying i am a dead shot, but i do know how to shoot.

Has anyone else had this issue with their M&P Shield 9 or 40? Other than the sight issue, i had zero issues with the weapon. No ftf, fte, or light primer strikes. It feels great in my hand, except i wanted a little more grip so i ordered Talon grips (the rubber ones).

I'm thinking it could be an issue with the barrel; maybe rifling or the barrel opening. Hope it's on target when you get it back.

I had an AR that was all over the place; I recleaned the barrel and a piece (tiny sliver) of the machined rifling came out on the dry patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Yoda; November 12th, 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Have the 9mm shield. Have fired over 1k rounds thru it. No problems with sight/POA/POI. I've heard that a left drift could be due to not enough trigger finger/pushing for right-handers. I have had that problem with my sig p229.

Left for me, too

Quote Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
    I used 3 different grains: 180, 165, and 135. The front sight is driftable but the S&W manual stated that you have to have a gunsmith do it or it voids the warranty. So i didnt want to do that and i didnt want to pay a gunsmith so i had to send it back. As for the 2 of you who mention recoil anticipation and trigger control, i forgot to mention that I was in the military for 6 years and have been a pistol shooter for just about 15 years now. Im not saying i am a dead shot, but i do know how to shoot.

Has anyone else had this issue with their M&P Shield 9 or 40? Other than the sight issue, i had zero issues with the weapon. No ftf, fte, or light primer strikes. It feels great in my hand, except i wanted a little more grip so i ordered Talon grips (the rubber ones).
    First 50 rounds out of the Shield .40 were left of center, too...no adjustment needed for elevation, but couldn't get them to center mass. I tried bench rest, vice, and off-hand (with years of military and civilian practice) shooting under my belt. Like you said, not dead-eye-dick, but I can usually hit pretty darn close.

I'm guessing they do a quick sight alignment and send it out the door. I'd be curious to hear a rep's opinion or insight on the matter, but so far haven't been able to get one. I still really enjoy the weapon and will carry it as soon as I get the sights aligned to my "non-linear" eyes, but just wish I didn't have to do a lot of adjustment on a brand new platform.

I'm really interested in the Shield (at least when the craze dies down and I can find one at a good price). I wonder if this sight alignment issue is very widespread.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    I'm really interested in the Shield (at least when the craze dies down and I can find one at a good price). I wonder if this sight alignment issue is very widespread.
    Fired 150 rounds through my Shield 9mm this weekend and hits were center mass at 7-10 yards.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Picked up my Shield 9mm about 4 weeks ago. Took it to the range the next day, and was super happy. I had read reviews about the superior accuracy, and they were right. With little effort, nice tight groups dead center. I had also read that the sights left alot to be desired in general, but I truly loved them. Easy to acquire picture for me. I was impressed.

I had the same issue on my Shield in 40

I drifted my front sight (its not that hard, just use some penetrating oil, cover with paiters tape, use a vise, and tap it over.

I now shoot right on

I knew it wasnt me, as my M&P45C hit poa.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I have a similar problem with my shield 40. I was excited to finally get my hands on one and brought it to the range to be very disappointed. I shot 30 round at 20 feet and was consistently shooting 1 foot left and 1 foot low. I inspected the sights and could clearly see the problem. The front sight wasn't centered on the barrel. I took a closer look and the rear sight wasn't centered either but not to the same degree as the front. I am baffled how this gun made it through quality control and into a consumers hands. I called S&W and they said I could send it in but it would take 3-4 weeks. I brought it to a local gunsmith for him to center. He called me last night and said he centered it and its still shooting about a foot low. He's calling S&W this morning to talk to them. He thinks they may have put the wrong sights on the gun. Needless to say, I am very disappointed and frustrated with the situation.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I need to send all my pistols.... none of them can hit a bullseye!
    than137 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links