Carry gun for my wife.

Carry gun for my wife.

This is a discussion on Carry gun for my wife. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just about talked my wife into getting her Michigan CPL but she wants her own gun first. Based on what she's shot and what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Carry gun for my wife.

Carry gun for my wife.

I've just about talked my wife into getting her Michigan CPL but she wants her own gun first. Based on what she's shot and what she's held onto, her preferences are towards DA/SA decocker or true DAO, 9mm, 10+ rounds, and smaller than "standard" compact, i.e. Glock 19, CZ P-01 (both of which she shoots nearly as well as I do), but big enough that she can get a full 3-finger grip. So far that leads me to identify three likely guns: CZ 2075 RAMI, Beretta PX4 subcompact, and HK p2000SK.

Any preference among these three from women in the forum or the men that shoot with women?

I will take her out to try them all as we can find them to rent, but I'm wondering if I've missed any others that might fit the bill?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

My wife enjoys my P2000SK, and she's pretty small (5'4" or something), also i think the LC9 is a true DAO similar to the LCP (another gun i have) and is a nice size (the LC9). Someone will correct me if that's an incorrect assumption.

If she can negotiate a little bit on the capacity, I'd strongly suggest a close look at a Kahr P9 (or the econo-model, the CW9), which has a 7+1 capacity with the standard mag. Single stack so her hand will likely fit it well, it's compact and flat, but not so light that a 9mm +P will be uncomfortable.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If she can negotiate a little bit on the capacity, I'd strongly suggest a close look at a Kahr P9 (or the econo-model, the CW9), which has a 7+1 capacity with the standard mag. Single stack so her hand will likely fit it well, it's compact and flat, but not so light that a 9mm +P will be uncomfortable.
    I should have mentioned that I have a Kahr PM9 and she hates it, even with the extended magazine. She also doesn't want a striker-fired pistol, just in case she gets a tough primer she wants to be able to get that second hit, hence the DA/SA or true DAO. I'd just as soon let her take my P-01 but she wants something smaller.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by daveb413 View Post
    My wife enjoys my P2000SK, and she's pretty small (5'4" or something), also i think the LC9 is a true DAO similar to the LCP (another gun i have) and is a nice size (the LC9). Someone will correct me if that's an incorrect assumption.
    She held the LC9 and wasn't too keen, but hasn't shot it or the P2000SK, yet.

9mm S&W Shield.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

The LC9 trigger a pain to deal with, and might discourage her. How about the glock 26? Since she's already acquainted with them. Otherwise I'd say have her try the Beretta nano, Taurous 709 slim, or Shield.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My wife played with several before she decided she wanted the Sig P238 extreme with the extended mag and laser. We are going to the range again this afternoon.
    Rhcmlc and bombthrower77 like this.

Have her also take a look at the SIG P938. My wife carries a P238 which is the .380 version. If she is flexable on caliber, the Bersa Thunder .380 would be an excellent choice. It is DA/SA with an extenal safety/decocker. Also available in an 11+1 configuration. Priced right around $300-$350. My wife was looking long and hard at that one also.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Since she has ruled out striker fired guns, my vote is for the CZ RAMI BD. I have the RAMI Safety equipped model in both 9mm and .40. Reliable and accurate. IMO you can't go wrong with a CZ.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Have her check out the Sig P938 with the 7 round mag.
    candalos likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

My wife usually cc's her 9mm PPS.

She's very fond of my P2000 SK though, shoots it well and sometimes carries it.

Both are top notch pistols. I highly recommend them for their superb reliability.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

My wife got her CCW, and wanted a 9mm that she could carry in a compartment in her purse, or on a holster. Took her to the gun store and let her hold a wide assortment until she found 'the one'. It was like watching Harry Potter hold 'his' wand for the 1st time lol

We got her a Taurus PT809c. Ambidextrous magazine release. Left side mounted slide release, decocker/safety, SA/DA. Has a 12rd mag and a 17rd mag, 3.5in barrel. Shoots extremely well, very accurate, and disassembles beyond easy :-) I liked it so much I got the Taurus PT840 for myself.

Congratulations on convincing your wife to carry!
    bombthrower77 and .45acpguy like this.

jyo
    I am liking the P2000sk in 9mm, of course!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links