A good trip to the range

This is a discussion on A good trip to the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a treat on my trip to a Ďlocalí (about 25 miles away) range on Saturday. I usually shoot my Glock near my house ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool

Thread: A good trip to the range

A good trip to the range

I got a treat on my trip to a Ďlocalí (about 25 miles away) range on Saturday. I usually shoot my Glock near my house on an old logging landing site where there is junk trees and brush that have been piled up that make decent backstops in the woods. Since its hunting season, I like to respect the hunters who have land leases near where I shoot. So I was at the Ďlocalí outdoor range that is open all the time and free to the public (owned by a small city). Anyway, I noticed that a fella was shooting what looked like a baby Glock. Turns out it was a G26 (not sure what Gen), and it had a magazine extension (Pearce PG-26). Iíve handled a few 26ís in gun stores, but never shot one. So not knowing if Iíd ever have this chance again, I asked the fella if I could shoot a magazine (with my ammo) through his pistol. That 26 with the +0 extension (which was just big enough to get my pinky finger on) was perfect!!! Iíd read about some folks getting their fingers pinched with the Pearce magazine extensions, but I didnít experience any pinching. The 26 will eventually be a perfect match for my 17. With funds being tight, I have been thinking about other small less expensive 9mmís instead of the 26. But being able to eventually share a holster, share magazines and share the exact same manual of arms as my 17 is worth it to me right nowÖespecially since I qualify to buy the Blue Label Glocks. One more pay day and Iíll be able to do the concealed carry class and apply for the permit/license.

Not necessarily a carry gun, but I got to talking with a fella who had a Kimber (I think it was the Custom modelÖit had adjustable rear sights) with a .460 Rowland barrel with a compensator. After he shot a magazine through it, he offered to let me shoot a magazine. Of course I accepted his offer. What a pistol! It was the second 1911 I have shot. The first one was a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine let me shoot his new Sig Carry Nitron, another very nice gun to shoot. Like most folks that get a chance to shoot a 1911, I enjoyed shooting them and could easily want to get into buying and shooting 1911ísÖbut realistically itís not going to happen. I might be able to get into a less expensive RIA (or similar priced) 1911, but then Iíd have to feed it while keeping up with what I will be feeding my carry pistol(s) in 9mm.

For me it was quite a day. Never thought Iíd be able to try out a pistol (G26) Iíve been thinking about a lot (especially set up the way I had thought Iíd like with the magazine extension) at the small city range. The few times Iíve been there, itís mostly been folks sighting in their hunting long arms (rifles and muzzle loaders), which is why I was mainly there for that day. After shooting my rifles and shotgun, talking with other shooters and shooting the G26 and Kimber, I ran out of time to properly shoot my 17.
    darbo likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Looks like you had a double good day at the range! General fun range time and unexpected firearms testing!

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    unexpected firearms testing!
    That is the key phrase! Sounds crazy...but I got real excited when I realized which Glock (since I already own one) it was and that it had that accessory...exactly the way I had it planned in my mind to someday buy.

Any day on the range is a good day.... Glad you got to shoot a G26 and liked it. I've had a Gen 3 for a couple of years and have no complaints at all.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Like most folks that get a chance to shoot a 1911, I enjoyed shooting them and could easily want to get into buying and shooting 1911’s…but realistically it’s not going to happen.
    The only 1911 I ever fired was over 50 years ago when I was trying to qualify in the AF. The 1911 I fired then had an extremely heavy trigger and I barely qualified...the only military weapon that I didn't qualify as 'expert'. I have avoided the 1911 since then. I'm going to have to rent one at the range and maybe I'll get over my phobia against the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    The only 1911 I ever fired was over 50 years ago when I was trying to qualify in the AF. The 1911 I fired then had an extremely heavy trigger and I barely qualified...the only military weapon that I didn't qualify as 'expert'. I have avoided the 1911 since then. I'm going to have to rent one at the range and maybe I'll get over my phobia against the 1911.
    I guess I've been fortunate in the way that the 1911's I've shot have been quality pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    Any day on the range is a good day.... Glad you got to shoot a G26 and liked it. I've had a Gen 3 for a couple of years and have no complaints at all.
    Yep. No matter if the guns are not 'cooperating' or my 'technique' is terrible that day...it's still good to get in some trigger time. With my 'technique', it's usually a matter of me taking a break, evaluate what's wrong and go from there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My first experience with a 1911 was way back in the '70s with a worn-worn, surplus GI model, and it shot just like all the stories I'd heard about them--not much in the way of accuracy. Sometime later I had the chance to shoot one that had been accurized and brought up to match standards--and the difference was remarkable. I've not fired one since until a few months ago, my son's Kimber. It shot well, no issues or malfunctions, but in all honesty it (I?) shot no better than my Glock 30. I can't justify in my mind spending that kind of money for little or no improvement in accuracy or reliability and lower capacity.

A 1911 can be a thing of beauty and a marvel to shoot, but it's going to come at a price. If the government ever leaves me some extra cash, I may pick up a 1911 in one form or another, but until then the G30 is going to be covering my back (front, and sides).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    There's such a thing as a day at the range, that isn't good?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    There's such a thing as a day at the range, that isn't good?
    For me, the range day I described in my opening post was better than good.

Sounds like a great day! Any day _________, is better than a day at work.

Insert, fishing, at the range, etc.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Yep, hard to have a bad range day. I have really enjoyed going to the public local outdoor range here lately. I get to eyeball others guns and strike up conversation which usually ends up with trying out new guns I haven't git to shoot before.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I agree, any day at the range is a good day, but I can see that having the opportunity to shoot a pistol that you've been thinking of buying, and having a good experience with said pistol, would make it more than your average "good" day at the range.
    Remy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I agree, any day at the range is a good day, but I can see that having the opportunity to shoot a pistol that you've been thinking of buying, and having a good experience with said pistol, would make it more than your average "good" day at the range.
    Summed up nicely. I had to resist the urge to ask to shoot another magazine through it.

Links