642/442 vs. 640

642/442 vs. 640

This is a discussion on 642/442 vs. 640 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone who had/has both care to weigh in? Is the 640 that much bigger and heavier (half a pound according to S&W's website) to make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 642/442 vs. 640

642/442 vs. 640

Anyone who had/has both care to weigh in? Is the 640 that much bigger and heavier (half a pound according to S&W's website) to make it a real pain to pocket carry in comparison to the 642/442?

I like the lightness of the 642/442 for carrying, but for shooting I know that the 640 would be easier (assuming the tiggers are the same on both models?), follow up shots would likely be faster, and so on. So I'm not sure which one to choose.

I think you've got a good idea of the differences except that a few J-frame holsters (mostly kydex) won't fit the steel models; due to the underlug. It may be just my imagination, but my 640 just seems larger than my 442. It's not the weight, but the size, that makes the 640 difficult for me to pocket carry.
    Last edited by CPO 15; November 14th, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Typo

I have the 642 and love it, super light,small,hammerless,dont need a holster just put it in ur pocket,all seasonal protection,+p hollow point for defense,2-3/4" barrel,check my avatar,etc. I can go on and on, not much bigger than ur wallet, what more can anyone ask for ??.... Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    I have the 642 and love it, super light,small,hammerless,dont need a holster just put it in ur pocket,all seasonal protection,+p hollow point for defense,2-3/4" barrel,check my avatar,etc. I can go on and on, not much bigger than ur wallet, what more can anyone ask for ??.... Eddie.
    You do need a pocket holster for safe pocket carry.

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Never carry without a holster, you are just asking for trouble.
    scgunlover1 and BritishAgent like this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

3wggl.... Your probably correct, but....... Now i'll have to worry about wearing a jacket or a long shirt to conseal it, this is why i call it an all seasonal gun, i can just wear pants and no shirt if i wish in the summer and look natural because of it small deadly size, no hammer for snagging when pulling it out of pocket.etc....

Nmb... Ur the second person to tell me that mabye i should.

VIP Member
    I have both the 640 & 642. If you really want to pocket carry it, go with the 642. The 640 disappears in an IWB holster and is more fun to shoot. If I could only have 1, it would be the 640.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

642/442 vs. 640

Miamieddie, let me be the third to say "you need a holster for pocket carry"! I carry a 642 in front pocket in a self made leather holster or in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster. And 2-3/4" barrel? I didn't know they made that length, mine is 1-7/8"?

Anyhow, be safe.....

Jjxj.... Your correct on the barrel size 1 7/8" my bad.i dont have a cc liscence yet but when i do i guess i'll holster it.

NMB
    Might I suggest something like this:

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...640-1-642-2-14

Its light, sticky (so it stays in your pocket when you draw) and will protect your trigger from any foreign object. You will probably be fine without a holster pocket carrying 99% of the time, but that one time you get your pants caught on something, or slip your keys in there without thinking, it could get very bad very quickly.

Always play on the safe side! For 25$ you cant beat it.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

My 642 gets carried more then another weapon I have. 95% of the time in a uncle mikes type holster in my strong side front pocket.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I own 640 pro and 642. To carry 642 wins but for shooting 640 wins. Lightweight is great to carry but hard to shoot.
    Vodek

642 is large for pocket

I have a 642 that goes well in a pocket holster. It weighs just 15 ounces empty. The 640 is all steel, I believe, and goes over 20 ounces empty. I think it is a little large for pocket carry, but would be fine in a belt holster.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Depends on how you want to carry. I personally am not a fan of pocket carry for the most part, so I would go with the 640. That little extra weight isn't very noticeable on a belt, but makes an awfully big difference in felt recoil. The 642 is an excellent gun, and if you plan on going with a minimal weight pocket carry that gets the nod. Otherwise for an IWB or OWB carry I would say 640. Those ultralight snubs have a fair amount of recoil. Have you shot either?
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links