Guys and gals, it's about THAT time.

This is a discussion on Guys and gals, it's about THAT time. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Aside from their looks, I've never really been a huge fan of 1911's. For the last month or so, I've been having this nagging feeling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Guys and gals, it's about THAT time.

Guys and gals, it's about THAT time.

Aside from their looks, I've never really been a huge fan of 1911's. For the last month or so, I've been having this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I need one! Far as pistols go, I have at least two guns in the following calibers: .25, .380, 9mm, 357sig, 38spcl, 40, and .45. I also have these among different brands (though I love Glocks, not every handgun I own is a Glock ). So I already have tons of .45 ammo, which is what I'd like the 1911 chambered in.

I'm at the point in my (hand)gun ownership where I need to feel 'complete'. In order for me to do so, I need to pick up one in .22, .32, and 357mag but more to the point.. a 1911!

To keep this somewhat short, I'll start off by saying that I've sold a few guns and still to this day regret it, so I've vowed to never sell another functional/repairable gun ever again. So with that being said, I'd like to pick up a 1911 that's affordable. That way, worst scenario, if I don't fall in love with the platform and it just sits in the safe forever, I can still feel okay with the purchase.

I've heard many'a great things about RIA. Can anybody suggest a model of theirs or even perhaps a different brand? I don't need any of the extras, just a good ole standard one. I have no preferences on length and weight. I have no comfort problems when it comes to concealing full size handguns. I'd like to stay under $700. That's the most I can justify spending on a weapon I may not grow to love but still keep.

Oh, almost forgot, I'm completely clueless about 1911s.
    Last edited by blitzburgh; November 15th, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Springfield Mil Spec
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I know it's early but I'll be checking this regularly for the 1911 gurus to come out, so the time and effort put into posts won't be for nothing guys. This is a purchase I'm serious about. Also, along with the suggestions and reasoning(s), pictures would be great too!
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    You might also want to look at the Ruger SR1911.
    DRM and msgt/ret like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    This thread contains numerous choices to fit your budget. It also contains numerous choices that you will begin to look at once you decide you are a 1911 addict.

Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts......
    msgt/ret and JDE101 like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

archer51 makes a nice point. Ruger SR1911 wouldn't be my end-all pick, but it sure matches your value/quality criteria. No one that I know who's bought one has been anything but satisfied. But be careful. 'Cause if you think GLOCK pistols tend to multiply, just wait 'till you bring home a 1911 variant. They're like rabbits!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Break down and sell a couple guns you don't like or use, then buy a Dan Wesson.

Oh, ya..buy while you can as they had a fire and will be closed until 2013.

Cz-USA can still ship out the remaining guns.

Look here for DW pics.
    Photos - CZ GUNSTUFFS

Dan Wesson Photos by czrami | Photobucket

I like 1911s, but even something as small as a ECO is pushing the limits for my bad back.

Best of luck with your eventual DW purchase.

KEV
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

The Rock Island Armory 1911a1 Tactical is the way to go if you buy that brand. The entry level offerings have GI sights (no dots!). All of the RIA 1911s have very smooth action, and impressive triggers. The Tactical has 3 dots, skeletonized hammer and trigger, full beaver tail, and improved grips as compared to their entry models. The RIA offerings have a well earned reputation for reliability with FMJ. As with any 1911, hollow points may "be a thing", but that can be addressed with some TLC in the feed ramp area.

That's a great, high-value, blue-collar 1911. I'd call it a "get the job done gun". I will add that the matte black finish would get a huge sexy-boost with some white or ivory/bone colored grips!

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Greetings Blitzburgh,

You're right - you do need a 1911. Every red-blooded American gun enthusiast does!

I got this SIG C3 this summer, and I'm absolutely thrilled with it:
    C3 1.jpg
    It's a little over your specified price point, but not TOO terribly much - Got it from my LGS for $850. IMHO it's the best value out there in a really high quality 1911. Easily worth a couple hundred bucks more than an RRA or a Filipino 1911.

Good luck with your search! Once you get a 1911, it'll get in your blood and you'll want more of 'em.

Regards,
    Jim

@clarkston_cz: I like and use all of my guns and will not sell any gun I own. I've looked at quite a few of DW and though they're nice, I can't justify the price tag with Christmas around the corner.

@Kilowatt3: That sure is purdy and the difference isn't terribly bad.

@RBid: I'll definitely dig deeper into that model.

Everybody else, thanks a lot as well. I really appreciate the help guys. I got the itch to get one and you know what, I'm starting to feel good about it.

Ruger SR1911 as good as they get more gun than your paying for. Check it out

I wouldn't skimp on any gun. The RIAs are fine, but I would hold out for a good used (or new) Springfield, Kimber, Ruger, etc. Something with a NAME, and something that will hold it's value. As a bonus, something USA. Costs a bit more, but I can't think of a single reason to go cheap. Lives could be at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by medcheese View Post
    I wouldn't skimp on any gun. The RIAs are fine, but I would hold out for a good used (or new) Springfield, Kimber, Ruger, etc. Something with a NAME, and something that will hold it's value. As a bonus, something USA. Costs a bit more, but I can't think of a single reason to go cheap. Lives could be at stake.
    With all due respect, as I am a 1911 newbie, I really don't consider buying an "entry level" one as skimping. I could be wrong, as I said, I'm completely new to the 1911 platform. One things for sure, I'm not starting out with a $3,000 one.

Deciding to purchase a 1911 is a good decision! You'll love it! I suggest you spend the money and get a good one to start with--you won't regret it. Now, make another good decision--abandon the "Pukesburgh Squeelers"!!! GO BROWNS!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links